The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #26
1project2many

Re: Modify 1960 Chevy front guards for 55-59 bumpers

Quote:
I have seen the gentleman in question go way, way out his way on here to lookup answers and give good advice to people. And he has been doing it here and on other forums for years.
Agreed. I work with someone who can be the same way. Despite comments that are frustrating, the person I work with is of far better character than many of the "nice" people I meet in life. There's just no filter when it comes to this person speaking an opinion.

Quote:
speaking of chrome....
i was in awe when i went to a weekly cruise-in at an independent auto parts store last night. a guy drove in with a 1958 buick special, it had more chrome on the front, than all the other cars combined, then again on the tail end.
That's pretty cool, Ogre. There was so much metal in those old cars and it's hard to imagine anything being built like that today.

I once had to work on a 64 Pontiac Star Chief... the dang car was longer than my long bed truck!

I just spent an hour searching random locations on Marketplace but no OEM bumper guards appeared.

Last edited by 1project2many; 09-22-2023 at 02:37 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:52 PM   #27
57tailgater

I ran across these on another forum. Might work? https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...uards.1303192/
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #28
58fleet

I thought of doing this very thing with the later guards. The bumper profile is just way to different. I went as far as picking a used set up of 60's guards to find out because it looked possible. Nope.

What did you end up doing?
58fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #29
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58fleet View Post
I thought of doing this very thing with the later guards. The bumper profile is just way to different. I went as far as picking a used set up of 60's guards to find out because it looked possible. Nope.

What did you end up doing?
Well I figured I've plenty to do with the parts I HAVE, so I'll just be patient and see what comes up...but I really considered some 60 guards. I guess its not the shape that is the problem as much as the brackets, eh?
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:37 PM   #30
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
carfeful there mr48, you'll be hanging fuzzy dice on the rear view soon, haha
I'm keeping the D cups on my 57 GMC bumper, my truck, my frufru.anybody who doesn't like it should look at the truck from a different angle.lol
I outgrew the fuzzy dice and mirror muffs years ago.

Growing up in the PNW in the 50's and 60's locally sold cars and trucks and the modified ones didn't have a lot of extra stuff hung on them as a norm. Local farmers were pretty frugal in the 50's and didn't order frost shields over the windshields or bumper guards but would spend the money on the heavy duty step bumper. I never saw a factory made grill guard like the smash hits from Perry Bumper until I got married in Texas in 1969 and half the trucks in central Texas had some sort of brush guard on the front. They weren't decoration they were because the farmers and ranchers drove them though the brush out on their property.

I don't fault a guy or gal for wanting bumper overriders today though as they do protect the grill. Adding them on isn't customizing in my book though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:21 PM   #31
leegreen

your just letting your personal tastes shade your own definition of customizing (and maybe trying to fan the flames in this thread??)

there are HAMB threads about old 1950s car parts catalogues where you can find all kinds of bolt and stick on stuff to personalize (customize) your car or truck. I bet a lot of those frugal farmers of which you speak had a well thumbed jcwitney catalogue where they dreamed of some flashy new antenna, headlight trim or decals to dress up their truck. That is why so many 'barn finds' these days have things like hacked up dashes for spotlights, rusty chrome 'west coast' mirrors, holes in the fenders for big ol mud flaps

Would you walk up to a youngster in your 'hood and tell him that painting his grill black and sticking carbon fiber wrap on his mirrors was not 'customizing' his car? I'm guessing if you didn't have anything nice to say you'd say nothing, we all would.

I was looking at bumper guards on an old rover saloon at the pickapart just this weekend considering what they would look like cut (customized) to fit an AD bumper and painted black.
Extensively modified cabs is not the only definition of customized.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #32
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Adding them on isn't customizing in my book though.
Thanks to everyone who posted about modifying bumper guards.

I think there's been enough off-topic comments now, including from myself. If y'all wanna continue debating what "customizing" means and arguing about how much chrome is prudent, perhaps start a thread in the off-topic section and go to town.

How about if you don't have anything relevant or helpful to say about modifying bumper guards, just don't comment...I might even agree with you, but keep to yourself cause I'm hoping its a new comment about bumper guards and then its not.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #33
Rickysnickers

Thank you . I was going to hop in and say something similar, but now no need
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #34
57tailgater

Ran across these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36459917399...mis&media=MORE
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:10 PM   #35
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
Those are not too bad! Still expensive, but not necessarily out of this world for what they are... thanks for sharing!