The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
71jimmy

Blazer/Jimmy stock radio

Just installed a stock AM radio and the stock under dash speaker into my '71 Jimmy. Looks good works great.

On the rear of the radio is a small L bracket meant to connect a strain relief going to the firewall or under dash or somewhere. The Jimmy did not have a radio installed so I don't know where to connect the strain relief. I found info on were it would go if you had the in dash speaker ie. trucks and some blazers/jimmys but not with the under dash speaker. I do not have the under dash speaker cutouts.

Does anyone have info on where this strain relief is connected stock????? A pic would be great if possible.

On a side note, my SPID does not show a radio option. Does this mean it never came factory with a radio? Or is this hit or miss on whether they noted it on the SPID? Would the factory have noted on the SPID a radio delete option?

Thanks

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
old man jimmy

Re: Blazer/Jimmy stock radio

They didn't come with any radio. Unless it was ordered by a customer. The ones sent to the dealers didn't have one. But almost all the time the dealer would put one in. No radio was standard with them. So it wasn't a radio delete type of thing. about the only thing that wasn't an option was a drivers seat and doors.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
SONOSADSACK

How mine was.
Attached Images

SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
71jimmy

Old Man Jimmy, thanks for the info.

Sonosadsack, thanks for the pic, I don't have that upper bracket into the dash. I don't even have any holes that would have indicated a bracket location. Easy enough to fab something up.

Seeing how nothing is set in stone as far as how these things were put together, if anyone else has any info it would be appreciated.

Thanks

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
70chev20

Sorry to change the subject, but how does the radio attach to the dash? Could you post a picture of the radio from the front with the knobs removed? (I just purchased an am/fm, and I don't know what hardware I need to mount it.) -Thanks
70chev20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
71jimmy

Don't have a pic at the moment and I only have the AM radio. Did you remove your AM to install the AM/FM? I would think they mount the same. There is a "cup" that slides over the volume and station adjustment shafts, then a nut goes on then your knobs go on.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
70chev20

Never mind! I found a picture on google. My am radio doesn't mount the same way as the gm radios because it was a dealer installed aftermarket radio made by Motorola.
70chev20 is offline   Reply With Quote