The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Sandblasting and powder coating?

Hi again,

Now that I will soon have a new-to-me radiator core support I need to think about what to paint it. Should I just wire wheel it, spray can prime, and paint or should I have it sandblasted and then powder coated?

On that thought.....should I buy my own sandblaster? I don't have much garage space, should I get one that works outside?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Sandblasting and powder coating?

Sandblasting is messy all over...the place you do it,anywhere near the dust can settle,and YOU. Anything too big for the cabinet I go ahead and pay for the service. It's up to you,but the way I see it,your decision should be based on how much you want to spend and what level of quality you want for the truck,overall. Wire wheel/spray paint is the cheapest and does the trick just fine. Any spots with rust you can use rust converter on. Sandblasting cleans it right up,but gotta hope it doesn't blow through. I have a guy I have sandblast what I paint (or have him prime or paint) and I have a powder coat guy I have blast and coat.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
volksworld

I was stupid enough to blast a car in my shop ...once...put plastic up floor to ceiling,had a big exhaust fan in the wall....and the stuff got EVERYWHERE....ruined all kinds of stuff on the shelves...took forever to clean up....unless you have a huge compressor it takes a long time to blast something big (sandblast guys laugh at 5 hp 80 gal compressors)....the blasting was included in my powder coaters price and was definitely worth letting him do it cause a pro setup will blast a part in 5 minutes that would take you 2 hours
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

I have had my chassis, suspension components and a number of other parts such as core support and inner fenders powder coated. The company I use blasts everything before they powder coat unless you bring it to them already cleaned up so I just let them do the blasting. Less cleanup for me....
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Hmm.......now I need to go check pricing! Thanks guys.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Graham57a

I worked for a powdercoating place over the summer and they blasted everything that came in even if it was bare metal. The shop owner said powder adheres to a freshly blasted surface better so even if the customer blasted parts and then brought them to us we would still blast them. You should be able to get your core support done for around 100 bucks depending on the shop

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
I worked for a powdercoating place over the summer and they blasted everything that came in even if it was bare metal. The shop owner said powder adheres to a freshly blasted surface better so even if the customer blasted parts and then brought them to us we would still blast them. You should be able to get your core support done for around 100 bucks depending on the shop
Yes. Everything that comes through my shop gets blasted by me regardless of whether the customer has already done it or not. It's the only way I can stand behind the job because I know there is no oil residue or contaminates on the surface and I know the texture "tooth" that my blasting leaves is best for a slick job.

You want to save some money on powdercoat work, spend some time degreasing the parts first. That's where you'll get better prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote