The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
72afr
Beep! Beep!

The re-reawakening

Hey all!

After a sweet 16 years of general sitting around post the initial "reawakening" (with a rough total of maybe 500 miles put on the OD within that time), the time has come to reawake the previously reawoken. Now that schooling and early career a**-busting has passed and the kids are of self-occupying age, I can (hopefully) get my first love back out and maybe correct some of the sins of a younger me with a high schooler budget. The Mrs. agrees, so here we go!

Mostly parked since easily 2006, the last time I took it out and drove was probably 2016. In 2017, the grille suffered an unfortunate incident with my floor jack and I replaced the egg crate in place. July 2018 rolls around and I'm looking to take the little ones for a spin. Crank, crank, crank. Nada. Pushed it back in the garage. @68speedalert diagnosed with gunked fuel because I'm a former idiot who never used stabilizer before the Great Sleep. Either that or the plastic tank we put under the bed is starting to corrode. Based on the gunk coming out of the fuel line at the carb and the residue it leaves, him and his esteemed colleagues didn't believe it to be just gas gone sour. Either way, I've already ordered a new metal tank and sending unit from LMC. I know I'll be in for a fuel pump and carb rebuild, but I'd like to replace the fuel lines as well instead of attempting to clean this crap. I don't recall how exactly we ran the fuel lines in our previous venture, but am pretty sure it was a type of cut existing line and extend to the tank. To those who've relocated the tank to under a shortbed, what lines did you use for this?

On to other matters, there are a few odds and ends that I didn't deem necessary or have the spare funds to repair at the time. Notably tires. At the time (2004 yeesh), the tires I had on there were already used and a bit bigger than I'd like to use now. I'm looking at BFG Radial T/A in 255/60 and 275/60 on my 15" GM Rallys (if anyone has this setup on a 2.5"F/3"R drop, please post!).

One item I never addressed and am seemingly having issues finding how to resolve is the hazard knob on the column. Mine didn't have one upon my purchase and still doesn't. I know my dad's '68 has a knob with spring, but in looking that up, it appears to be for a '73+ setup. Does anyone know what the factory control is?

Also, my truck didn't have a radio or speakers or antenna from the factory, and instead had a radio delete plate. When we redid this thing, we also had that painted to match, although we were intending to put a knobbed radio in at the time because a high schooler can't cruise without tunes and bluetoothed phones were in their infancy. We mounted this, with some under dash tweeters, small bookshelf speakers (box and all) behind the seat, and a short antenna under the dash. It worked, but is kind of a janky system. I'd like to replace the radio with the plate and move to a bluetooth amp and a more correct speaker setup. I don't have an issue with wiring of such, but am looking for any leads for the plate mounting tabs as I don't know if I still have them after multiple moves, etc.

Thanks all!

PS, here it sits as of the last time it was out of the garage, circa 2018
Attached Images

2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: The re-reawakening

Nice rig! Hopefully it won't be too painful to get up to snuff again.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
70cst

Nice looking ride

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
BRL

That truck is way too nice to leave it sitting for that long...shame, shame!

"git 'er done!"

Trust me, you'll be glad you did!
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
That truck is way too nice to leave it sitting for that long...shame, shame!

"git 'er done!"

Trust me, you'll be glad you did!
Oh, I'm well aware! I die a little more inside every time I go to my garage and see it under cover and boxed in with... junk (or as I tell my wife, "valuable artifacts not to be thrown").

Once we wrapped it up in high school, I bought a cheap car to use as a daily and keep this nice. Have been shuffling this between garages for the last 15 years to keep it nice. Either the garage wasn't local to me or some other issue preventing me from driving it. Funny how life happens. Since it's been licensed, it's only seen sunshine for cruises and car shows. I've since acquired other fun and fixer vehicles in my Jeep and my daily 2500hd. Time to show this thing some love again. Feels like a lifetime ago now, but I'm older and sorta wiser.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72afr View Post
Hey all!
I'm looking at BFG Radial T/A in 255/60 and 275/60 on my 15" GM Rallys (if anyone has this setup on a 2.5"F/3"R drop, please post!).
GOOD LOOKIN' TRUCK!!!! Enjoy it.

My '71 GMC ... 2.5" F. w/1 coil cut & 4" rear w/ 1" lowering block. Shock relocate kit & an adj. panhard bar.

275/60 T/A Radials all the way around. No rubbin'.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'm in to watch the reawakening!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
GOOD LOOKIN' TRUCK!!!! Enjoy it.

My '71 GMC ... 2.5" F. w/1 coil cut & 4" rear w/ 1" lowering block. Shock relocate kit & an adj. panhard bar.

275/60 T/A Radials all the way around. No rubbin'.
No rubbin' at all? Impressive! I've been in contact with Wizo who appears to be rocking the same setup as me (2.5" drop spindles, 3" springs) and he's running with 245s up front to alleviate rubbing issues. I might have to switch out to that too.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #9
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72afr View Post
No rubbin' at all? Impressive! I've been in contact with Wizo who appears to be rocking the same setup as me (2.5" drop spindles, 3" springs) and he's running with 245s up front to alleviate rubbing issues. I might have to switch out to that too.
Nope, no rub. I had 255/60's and replaced the rears w/275's first & then put 275's on the front. I don't haul much in it but I'm 300++ & often a 200lb. passenger. Speed humps in my neighborhood & I take 'em slow but it does feel like it's got some suspension travel. I grease the front regularly but something "SQUAWKS" when I go over the humps.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote