The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
chucks70

"secondary air injection malfunction" trouble code

I have an '04 Trailblazer with the inline 6. Runs and drives fine but the check engine light came on and Auto Zone said the code reads secondary air injection malfunction. Have no idea what to do to fix it. Any ideas or am I going to donate to the local dealers huge profits.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
chucks70

2004 Trailblazer help

Have this listed on the 99 and up board, thought it would get more looks here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273704 Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
DavesRide

Re: "secondary air injection malfunction" trouble code

That particular engine does not use an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system like other models. It used a means of altering the position of the exhaust cam to allow some of the exhaust gases to be pulled back into combustion chamber during firing cycle to increase reburn of unburned fuel. I would would take it to a modern shop, if not a reputable dealer, and have them properly diagnose it. The cost of repair may be less expensive than an ill-running engine in the long run. They don't get that good of gas mileage anyhow and you don't want to make it worse.
Other than 4 years of Art school I have been working as a tech at a dealer since 1989 up until Oct of 07. David
Old 01-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
DavesRide

Re: 2004 Trailblazer help

Read and posted
Old 01-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
kszygc

Sounds really freaky. Never heard of that one, only the pulsed air injection systems, and air pump injection systems. have repaired the air pump systems before.
kszygc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
DavesRide

Yes, it has a hemisprericle gear contraption, as I will call it, at the front of cam by chain and is controlled by computer and the pressure of oil applied to it. Another brilliant idea to correct emissions by our GM theatre of designers. It has been around for a while and is used by other makes AKA variable valve timing. It makes me very fond of my HEI and carburator without the payment of a new automobile. It really does need to be addressed by a trained technician. Not just by someone with a code reader.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Well I know this is an apples and oranges thing but here is my .02 worth of information...hope it helps. I am an instructor for BMW of North America and on BMWs, Secondary Air Injection is a system that pumps air into the exhaust stream when the engine is cold to "fan the flames" so to speak and heat up the cats quicker. The system requires an electric motor/pump, a valve to let the air into the exhaust stream and prevent exhaust gas from going back to the pump, and some plumbing to connect it all togeher. If the Chevy is anything like that, see if you can figure out some way to make the pump run or just check it when the truck is cold. See if there is air being pumped out toward the exhaust manifolds. If it is, move on to the next thing. If you can get the valve off, get the pump to run again and see if the valve is allowing air to go through (on some there may be a vacuum hose to get the valve to open, if so apply vaccum). If the valve passes air, the problem may be clogged passages in the exahust manifold or in some cases, the passages are in the cylinder heads. If this is the case, the O2 sensors will not pick up the lean mixture and that is how the system is checked. Unfortunatly, the only way to unclog those passages would be to take the manifolds (or cylinder heads) off so you can run something through them. Maybe on the Chevy though you could get lucky and be able to do it on the engine with little or no disassembly. Well that's it....that's what I know about Secondary Air Injection...Good Luck! Hope it helps. Dwayne

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Merged threads.........please don't double post. It is against the rules, as you should know. You are a fairly long-time member, please act accordingly.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote