The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Paul Y

Simple rear bag set up

Evening Gentlemen,

I am contemplating replacing my rear springs on the 66 with bags for a number of reasons but primarily to achieve the ride height I require and still be able to haul 'stuff'

What I would appreciate is a little knowledge share on the best bags and how to set them up. My thought is to use a compressor from a late model Lincoln that I have and use this to inflate/deflate the bags.

Is this sensible? Does anybody make good kit I should consider.

For clarity, I am putting in a C notch, not looking to 'grand slam' it!

Look forward to your reply.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Simple rear bag set up

Your idea for the compressor would work w/the correct parts. Google Airlift & you can get an idea of how they set-up their base systems & determine what other parts you need. Or.... (I suggest this), just get a kit from them or Ride Tech that has everything you need .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Paul Y

Scoti,

Thanks for the reply. Did a bit more research and 'think' I have found a set up from Porterbuilt that will fit the bill. Upper and lower plates, pair of bags and a Schroeder kit. Need to save a little cash and will be ordering them soon.

P.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Pro Performance

The Porterbuilt is a great kit, and wouldn't need to do the c-notch with this kit. The way that kit is setup, it will hit the internal bumpstop in the bag before hitting the frame.

Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Scoti,

Thanks for the reply. Did a bit more research and 'think' I have found a set up from Porterbuilt that will fit the bill. Upper and lower plates, pair of bags and a Schroeder kit. Need to save a little cash and will be ordering them soon.

P.
Personally I'd really think about an on-board compressor. While the schroeder setup is simple in theory, adjusting air pressure manually become a PITA after a while.

With an onboard compressor you can ride low and soft, then pump it up for more clearance, or to help balance out a heavy load in the bed. A sealed Viar compressor and small air tank is all you need to start with. You can even run manual valves if you want to really save and KISS. You an get this stuff for a killing off the s10forum classifieds, those guys go thru tons of bag stuff.

That being said, the porterbuilt stuff is all good quality. I happen to like Slam Bags, but any good convoluted bag bag with an internal bumpstop will work for you.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #6
Paul Y

Again, thanks for the info, really helping me with building this on paper before spending the hard earned pennies.

Mr. Pro Performance, I take it that this is the kit you pointed me to Dave for? Good price and what I am going to go for once in have the spare cash. I am also running, or intend, to run, a 2" block as well so looks like I am going ton have to use the 'C' notch I have, unless you know different?

Mr Brew, Yup, with you all the way on the onboard compressor. I have one from a Lincoln that in am going to use. Want to steer away from the complication of tanks and valves and go for a simple switch to turn the pump on and bring the height to where I need it.

Mmmm.... Hold on though.... How do you let the air out? Is it like letting the air out of a car tyre or is there another method? Again, advice welcome before I make costly mistakes.

P.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Again, thanks for the info, really helping me with building this on paper before spending the hard earned pennies.

Mr. Pro Performance, I take it that this is the kit you pointed me to Dave for? Good price and what I am going to go for once in have the spare cash. I am also running, or intend, to run, a 2" block as well so looks like I am going ton have to use the 'C' notch I have, unless you know different?

Mr Brew, Yup, with you all the way on the onboard compressor. I have one from a Lincoln that in am going to use. Want to steer away from the complication of tanks and valves and go for a simple switch to turn the pump on and bring the height to where I need it.

Mmmm.... Hold on though.... How do you let the air out? Is it like letting the air out of a car tyre or is there another method? Again, advice welcome before I make costly mistakes.

P.
You have to have some type of valve system if using a compressor.

Schraders work well for a 'static' bag set-up. You keep ride height constant & only adjust occasionally @ home for additional cargo capacity or for tuning by adding/removing air like you would to your tires. Anything beyond that, you'll want/need valves (manual or electric), tank/s, & compressor/s.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:

D
Lol no one calls me Mr. (if anything, its Reverend, but who's counting?)

Is the Lincoln an edc? like a 209/210?

You'll need 2 valves, one to fill the bags off the comp, the other to dump the air out. Again, they can even be brass manual valves.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Paul Y

My Apologies Reverend...

The pump is an electric compressor as used on a Town car etc. Tested and works fine and puts out a fair amount of pressure.

So, connecting the pump to the bags do I employ a manual valve behind the Schroeder to air out?

Is it best to run separate lines to each bag or one to both?

Have to keep remembering that I don't need to spend $800 on a system that is going to spend 90% of its time at the same ride height...

Thanks for he input, trying to learn but so much information....

P.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
My Apologies Reverend...

The pump is an electric compressor as used on a Town car etc. Tested and works fine and puts out a fair amount of pressure.

So, connecting the pump to the bags do I employ a manual valve behind the Schroeder to air out?

Is it best to run separate lines to each bag or one to both?

Have to keep remembering that I don't need to spend $800 on a system that is going to spend 90% of its time at the same ride height...
Thanks for he input, trying to learn but so much information....

P.
Run us through your 'vision' of how you'd like your system to work.
Let us know when/why you need the compressor for the remaining 10% of service. This should help get you optimal ideas....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
Paul Y

Scoti,

Feel like I owe you a beer…

Anyway, these are my rough thoughts.

Compressor feeding into each bag separately using a Schroeder valve.
After the Schroeder valve another, manual valve, that allows pressure to be vented to atmosphere to deflate the bag.

Why an onboard when the ride height will remain static for the majority of the time?

Two reasons.

1. I have the compressor
2. You can guarantee that when I need to pump the bags up I will be miles from the nearest pump…

So, what do you think?

P.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
SCOTI

For your needs, schrader valves aren't necessary. Schraders are just remote fill valves that are air'd up just like a tire. Your compressor eliminates the need for them.

I'll send a link to something that possibly would work better. If I were you, I would just get a tank, pressure switch, some paddle valves & an air gauge set-up. Couple hundred bucks but relatively simple.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
mongoose

I wouldn't run schroeder valves you;ll never know if they're closed or open.

if you're set on using that compressor and schraders.. i'd at least think about running a small air tank with that comp and run normal 2way manual valves.. you can mount them in the bed if need be it's just a quicker and easier way of doing the same thing

so you can have a comp and small tank under the bed then run the feeder and 2 bag lines to the bed and have the two switches mounted like under the rail beside the door. it'll run on 1/4" line so it will be small easier to tuck.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
Paul Y

Scoti,

Would appreciate that.

The 'challange' with adding valves, tank and gauge etc is this suddenly becomes a $1000 deal rather than $300! Having said that happy to be led by those with greater knowledge, after al that is how you learn!

P.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
Paul Y

Mr Mongoose,

Thank you, I didnt know that the Schroeder valves were superfluous if the set up I sketched out.

So, If I add a tank between the compressor and valves, loose the Schroeder's that would be a good compromise?

P.