The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
'70_402

**Rant** CPP Spindles

I guess common sense is not so common anymore...

CPP is a decent company and they make decent products, don't get me wrong, but i ordered some of their drop spindles from Summit (cause you can get free shipping) and i received the box that had the correct part number on it, CP4S2. I get the parts out and they are marked CP4S4... well that part number is for a 73-87 c10.... CRAP... mis-boxed parts. I called CPP and talked to my first tech support guy and his immediate response was, "yep those are the wrong spindles, call summit" ok, no big deal, i didn't buy from them not their problem... i call summit get the new (correct) ones on the way. Then i see the packing slip on the outside of the box from summit when i'm packing up my box with the return label. I glance at it and says (These CP4S2 spindles will have the casting number of CP4S4. This is not a mistake and CPP does additional machining to make these work with 63-70 C10 chasis)... WELL CRAP.... so i call CPP back once again and clarify... sure enough the second guy i talk to at CPP verifies that's correct. He said the first guy i talked to should have known that.... I did in fact have the right spindles.

ALL this could have been avoided if CPP would just slip a simple piece of paper in each box explaining that very thing.... It's a super simple fix and im sure would solve ALOT of headache.... I knew i should have went with Early Classic. haha.

Anyway, it all worked out, and i like how it sits... lol
Attached Images

'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
67chevemall

Re: **Rant** CPP Spindles

yep they sent me wrong ones too. cpp is cut off for life thanks to the witch at customer service
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
ga-stepside

Me too. Fortunately I noticed the warning. But I called both Summit and CPP to be sure what I had was what I ordered and was assured by both I was good. Makes you wonder about who is running CPP's logistics.
ga-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I have no experience with CPP due to all the negative reports. But from what I've seen they have bigger problems with logistics and customer service than actual quality issues. Whoever is running that ship isn't doing a good job and all the good parts in the world mean nothing to me if I know there could be other issues.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
toolboxchev

Yup that is Logistics, and the problems that nobody acknowledged. Most of the time Modern Management principles view this industry and or trade as a non-value employment necessity. Another words the people who handle the products do not get paid enough to care, and the management know it.

It's a little vicious circle thing that both sides play a part in with the customer getting the screw. I do not know how many times I have seen this even with my own rig.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I see this as screwing themselves and it's the management who is falling short. Just print up a batch of notes explaining the situation and stick one in every box to avoid the expense of parts returned that didn't need to be and paying people to explain it on the phone over and over again.

The only thing is, even knowing CPP uses '73-ups they modify for 60-70s, how do you know the ones you get are modified or not? They should alter the PN somehow or put some sort of identifying stamp... grinder marks, anything?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
'70_402

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I see this as screwing themselves and it's the management who is falling short. Just print up a batch of notes explaining the situation and stick one in every box to avoid the expense of parts returned that didn't need to be and paying people to explain it on the phone over and over again.

The only thing is, even knowing CPP uses '73-ups they modify for 60-70s, how do you know the ones you get are modified or not? They should alter the PN somehow or put some sort of identifying stamp... grinder marks, anything?
For example, what if i had bought this truck and knew nothing the suspension. i would just go off the part number STAMPED on the spindle. That would be incorrect.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
mike16

CCP profit structure included sending you the wrong part and counting on the possibility that the part will sit on your shelf rather than thiers. long after the opportunity to return it has passed is when you discover that they did you wrong Other wise they still send you the wrong part and gouge you on restocking fee's. that is... if your willing to pay the shipping to return thier junk to them. Rude 12 years ago and its just gotten worse. Wonder what those generic one size fits all spindles are made of. Cast what?
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
57larry

I think most of CPP's stuff is china junk
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
nightrider388

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57larry View Post
I have used several of CPP items and all looked and was good quality. Most complaints I see is customer service or product support. I haven't found much made in USA stuff for our trucks. I'm glad at least someone makes parts. I can't afford NOS.
nightrider388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Yup that is Logistics, and the problems that nobody acknowledged. Most of the time Modern Management principles view this industry and or trade as a non-value employment necessity. Another words the people who handle the products do not get paid enough to care, and the management know it.

It's a little vicious circle thing that both sides play a part in with the customer getting the screw. I do not know how many times I have seen this even with my own rig.
I said I see this case as a management issue, but totally agree with you on your statements on the general situation with most businesses of this type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
CCP profit structure included sending you the wrong part and counting on the possibility that the part will sit on your shelf rather than thiers. long after the opportunity to return it has passed is when you discover that they did you wrong Other wise they still send you the wrong part and gouge you on restocking fee's. that is... if your willing to pay the shipping to return thier junk to them. Rude 12 years ago and its just gotten worse. Wonder what those generic one size fits all spindles are made of. Cast what?
I agree with your statements as well. I think you just explained why they do nothing about the stupidity. What they don't factor into that philosophy is the power of communication through internet forums. It's u to us to put the word out and keep it out. I see over and over again threads by people with complaints about those guys and props for ECE, yet people keep buying from them. I don't and never will, unless I feel they have changed their tune. And t's only because of what I have read on this site. My first though every thread like this is "You should have checked the review board"... a great benefit of this site.

Tim

Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
67chevemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
Exactly. I ended up selling their crap on kijiji.
They owe me 200 us dollars.
If I ever get to California I'll be sure to collect
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
StingRay

I have no experience with CPP but one thing to consider with spindles is that when drop spindles came to be the 73-87 were our only choice and they had to be adapted with compatible 73-87 suspension parts. For the casting number to be the same is not hard to imagine as the only real difference will be machining for the ball joint and tie rod tapers. How they document and represent that to the customer is another thing as is customer service. I plan on getting my stuff from ECE.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
leddzepp

I’ve bought from cpp for years, good service at the counter, no problems. Other brands of spindles also have the same casting numbers over several years (stamped 60-72) I guess that’s normal

I read all kinds of horror stories on the internet about cpp...funny, they attend most major car show events out here and people line up all day long to buy their stuff with no complaints. They have even expanded to a larger facility and just keep growing. They must be doing something right or they wouldn’t be in business

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
57larry

pls read the write ups on CPP's tilt columns, pure unsafe china junk
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #16
harpo231

S

LOL Don't shoot me I have to laugh because when I retired I was in charge of all aftermarket/part orders etc. We shipped over 150 million in parts a year. I've witnessed all the scenarios above, The OP may have spoken with "the new guy", In a manufacturing environment it is difficult to teach everything during orientation.Sometimes you get the grumpy guy who has all the "granfathered knowlege". We assembled pumps for our customers and the volutes were all marked with the same casting number ,they were to be ground off after bolt pattern ,frame position and bushing sizes were machined into them.Sometimes this did'nt happen... I understand the need to rant though ......

Just keep in mind the quality may be worth the hassle sometimes

Last edited by harpo231; 03-22-2018 at 06:17 PM.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #17
leddzepp

Quote:
pls read the write ups on CPP's tilt columns, pure unsafe china junk
Many vendors carry the same column. I have read a whole lot of opinions on them. There have probably been thousands sold. I have yet to hear of any actual failures, fatalities, or injuries related to their use. If there were, lawyers would be all over them and lawsuits would be abundant.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
NC_John

Quote:
Most??? CPP = chinese part purveyors

I bought their drop spindle front disc brake kit. First they sent me the wrong one and then tried to convince me to keep it. When I finally got the correct kit I ended up replacing all the cheap junk parts they sent (bearings, seals, brake pads, suspension stuff) with better quality components myself.

I hate their crap.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #19
mike16

selling through summit is very interesting. I wonder if Summit holds them to a higher standard. How does that work that your own customer service standards are less than nonexistant but when you sell thru summit? I wonder how long Summit will keep supporting them. Sooner or later ......

ChiCom stuff has improved alot lately but there is still alot of scrap out there that has yet to be foisted off on unsuspecting fools. Like Me. I still cant believe I continued to follow through with my order from them when that jerk started screaming at me over the phone. Never again.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote