The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Port&PolishMan

Is It just Me or What !

LOL

OK I ordered some SS 2 Inch Leaf Spring Clamps - OK - I'll get like
4 Sets 1 set for each 2" Truck Spring - Front and Back little Extra Insurance.

Picture of Inspected First Part :

[IMG][/IMG]

OK - 2 Inches Minus the Material Thickness - Makes these some Real - Expensive Junk !

OK Benefit of the Doubt : I'll let them Replace them with the Real 2" Clamps - I must have Gotten 1.75 Clamps
By mistake - BUT - No I'm told they can't replace them - these are the 2.0 Leaf Spring Clamps ..

Really - Could You like Break out Set of Reading Glasses and a Measuring Tape ?

Back to Yes - Real Expensive Junk !
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Is It just Me or What !

if you used a credit card to pay for these, file a dispute with your bank. they can fight it out for you
nvrdone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
Port&PolishMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
if you used a credit card to pay for these, file a dispute with your bank. they can fight it out for you
The Guy was Nice to Listen and Answer all ?'s _ Politely
He Now understands - just trying to Help - He Settled and Paid the
Shipping .

Out Nothing - Except Time - Time to Me is Worth a Lot ..

I Informed Him - If He had gotten the Blue Print - Viva a Fax Machine - Like the way they use to send over Up Dates
Third World Counties - may still do that .. those Lines to Inside VS Outside on Material Thickness - get lost in a Hurry . .

Last edited by Port&PolishMan; 04-21-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Port&PolishMan

OK - WTH - Last Week a few may remember the No Start Condition the Truck , was getting .

When I took the Starter in to be Tested - It Tested A-OK on 1 of those $3000.00
5-6 Step Checkers - and It's Computerized to Select Proper Wiring Rig along with Proper Voltage , Amperage , Ohms - Resistance etc. . .
Solenoid also ..
Parts Manager went On & On about - BAD Grd.

Today same thing - No Start No anything - just Dead - No Noises . .

After making a few Simple Checks - I decides what the Hell - Nothing to Loose .
Rip Open the Starter :

First Thing - Pops Out :

[IMG][/IMG]

Broken Brush Wire and 1 Bush it Not even making Contact - Wow - How did this Even Test as Good ?
It's only been 15 miles and 2 Starts Later . . What the Heck ?

So I have never rebuilt one of these things - Or Looked Inside ..One ..
Pulled It Apart Slowly : Stuff in there is Like a Thick Graphite Gooo

Another Item - Wire on Opposite side 35% Broken Off . .

[IMG][/IMG]

Stood there Scratched My Head - This Test Good - Those Machines aren't very Reliable !
Decided what the Hey - I'll Keep Going and See What else I able to do or even try to Fix this - I Have NO PARTS !
[IMG][/IMG]

I Managed to get the Old Silver Solder End apart for Salvage : Tricky - put Doable !
[IMG][/IMG]

The HD Copper End Tab - was Rolled 355 Degree around and Sliver Solder . . just on the End ..

[IMG][/IMG]

Once I got It all Cleaned Up and the Parts Prepped and came up with a few Mac Giver's - Starting to look like I Had a Shot !
[IMG][/IMG]

I could NOT Find My Silver Solder for the Life of Me ..
so I went tearing into all My Old Stuff - have several really Old Rolls - 30-40 yrs.
Found 1 60% Silver - Tried that .. By Now I wasn't Thinking to Far ahead , as I was in Solution Mode .
Looking at Photo Above - Anyone - Tell Us what's Wrong .. ?

OK - Your 15 min. is Up - I didn't see it either at First , but Wire in Center is off 180 Degrees ..
No Leading Off toward the Outside of Starter ..

Real Bit** is - there is just - Enough Braided Wire to Flex - Just Enough to Allow Assembly . Soldering made the Braid all Stiff and Would NOT ALLOW - Assembly or Redepositing , so had to to Do It Twice - while Holding it in Correct Position !

So I had to Mac-Giver It a few Times - before getting all Lined all up just where it need to be as Far as Looks Go !

I Then ran it down to same Store , Same Guys , Same Test machine - and It TESTED BAD !! AGGHHRRRAaaaaa
WHAT : Is Just Me ~ or ~ What !

Once I Sealed it Up at Home - it was Never reopened - Going for the Install - Real World Testing tomorrow !
3 Guys and 20 min. Later got it to Test Good - Thank You God !

Last edited by Port&PolishMan; 04-22-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Port&PolishMan

Any Possible - Information on this Starter - I took a Video of the
Part Number :

Model ?

https://youtu.be/SRVjkQgVubE
Old 04-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
Port&PolishMan

Here is a Picture of More Numbers - Hope that Helps ..

Not that I don't have Faith in My Work , but I read a few Post where Guys could No Longer get Parts so I thought I order a Rebuild Kit - seems that Kits very Wildly
from just a few Parts to Bunch Parts - still haven't seen anything that looked like Inside of this Starter ..

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
1project2many

Bad ground strap, worn brushes, and wiring not correct = bad. Not something I would want to trust on a weekend when I was trying to relax and drive my old truck. But you already know this. When that truck was new the guy at the garage knew how to rebuild it and maybe even had the tools to test it. I taught myself to use those old tools when I got a job in an old dealership that head 'em buried in the back room. I had to find a few old books and bug an old timer when I had questions but over the years I've even picked up enough to know when that $3000 machine at the store doesn't know all it sees.

Today's starters are built differently and it's cheaper to buy new than to rebuild. It's tougher to find a place that can do the job since they've been replaced with Auto Parts Retailers. Maybe you've got a starter and alternator shop near you? A place you can walk into and talk with a guy, look around, and get real answers? I've got one near me and I try to do enough business with them to help them stay open.

Your starter is a 10MT, part number 10455305. Well, at least the end cover is. I don't know if you can still buy "good" parts for overhauling them. If I needed parts I'd probably call my favorite shop and ask 'em for what I needed. However, this site seems to have a good collection of rebuild parts for the 10MT: https://www.aspwholesale.com/starter....html?page=all

Good luck.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Port&PolishMan

SO IT's _ NOT _ Just ME !

Yeah, Agree - Tell Me about it - the Wife and I went for a ride out in the Boone's
We could have easily gotten stuck out there .. seems the whole world has gone
Crazy .. If it isn't in the Computer - they are Helpless !
Lets sell Items to the World and claim Parts Fit 2 inch Leaf Springs - Not Even Measure them - just Ship them Out ..

I Believe in and Remember the Old American Company's :

I Have an Old Meon Facet - well after 32 yrs. it started to Drip & Leak around the
Base . After several other Faulty Delta Units , and Buying Parts - I said Oh, Boy
here I go . I Bought this Thing before then Internet and We couldn't find
the Paper work . ( No Warranty ) how to do I Prove this - I'll take a Picture and E-mail it them and Complain ..

Made the Call - I'm 4 Telephones & 2 Phone Numbers Different 32 yrs. Later , as No More Wall Phone . .

I Inform them 1 of there $ 89.00 Kitchen Units - High Neck - Single was Shot ..
as I couldn't even know which Model it was . . She - informed those
Now Cost $239.00

Give Us You address , so I can send out Parts , I said Parts - How do You know
What Faucet - I Own - She said - You filled out the Warranty Card ..
Warranty Card from 32 yrs. ago - Oh Yes We have You on Record - We Updated Our
Systems and all Our Past Customers going back 65 yrs . or so in there ..
She then says - where may I Over Night the Parts to You . .
Express Next Day - I can't afford that !

No Charge - No Cost - Moen for Life - Warranty 100% Covered !

I Remember those Company's - the Ones that Would be
Embarrassed If Their Parts or Products Failed
Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Port&PolishMan

Too Many Projects - Which to Start First !

Back to the Starter , Looking at the Rebuilding Process - in the Wire Area those Braids High Quality Copper are Heavy Rivets - Swedge'd On - What would Normally be Done ? // What is done Today ? Replace those . . this Starter must weight 28 lbs

Thanks
Dan
Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
1project2many

It's not just you. Sales persons come into the shop trying to sell their stuff. It's brand X, Y, even XY these days... Doesn't matter. It's just a name. You can't trust a brand any more. Spicer aftermarket suspension parts once the same as Delco and some Motocraft. Why not? Spicer made the OEM so they knew how to make a replacement. We'd use Moog or (now gone) TRW and change ball joints every 6 months. Spicer would last 1,2,3 years. Spicer sold their aftermarket suspension to Raybestos, so I changed stores. That chain was bought out by a bigger one so I changed stores again. I have to go with the store brand to get what I want but it is the same stuff, same quality, same longer life. Now I see that Raybestos suspension parts was bought by Federal Mogul. I'm waiting to start finding Moog parts in store brand boxes.

Rivets get drilled out and old tools swage new rivets. Most of the time the braid can be re-used so that extra work isn't needed. Field coil screws are staked, require a press and special driver to remove. Easiest to leave that to the guy with the tools.

Sorting most important project first can be the biggest challenge. Not many hours in a day anymore. Kids n family always top the list, my own projects get moved down lower, and some stuff just gets stored for someday. In between is up for grabs.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Port&PolishMan

I Here That !

I have Built Parts for IBM , Moog, Intel , Xerox , Kodak , Nuclear Reactor Builds .
Military - every - Branch and about 30 Plus Others including Medical Devices for Human Bodies . . so pretty Intense Stuff ..

Retired now - just trying to get this Retirement Retreat up to Snuff while I able to still a lot ourselves . .

Got the Start Painted : I have Confidences in My Work ..
[IMG][/IMG]

Installed after 14 Hours Dry Time :
[IMG][/IMG]

While Under the Hood - I got the PVC system Started :

I Guess I should have wiped down Starter - After Install some debris on it form under truck and dragging it across old rug .

TESTED - A _ OK Spins at Least 40 % Faster !!

Last edited by Port&PolishMan; 04-23-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #12
jjzepplin

I just rehabbed mine. I used brushes from another used starter I had laying around. Cost=1/2 hour. New brushes are on ebay for $8. Rebuilt starter =$169.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote