The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
vweater2001

1969 GMC Stepside SWB Tranny/Rear End Choices

I'm looking to purchase a tranny & rear end from the stock set up I have now on my truck. Just looking to do minimal work and just pretty much plug n play to what I've got in it...what set up do ya'll recommend with a chevy 350ci (crate engine) w/Holley650 set up with a mild cam. I want to have this done soon and with the least work/parts to buy and just replace those two things.

I just want to be able to get rid of the granny gear, and have a posi in this truck. what bugs me the most is the feeling of not putting the power down to the ground and truck just feels sluggish and I can't but think that it's because the engine has been upgraded but the rest of the drive train isn't. I know I'll need to upgrade suspension soon too...I'm coming from vw's so just bare with my questions as I'm still learning from you guys here on the board.

Are there newer truck set ups that would just bolt on with minimal work? All your guys help/rec's are greatly appreciated.

1969 GMC C1500 Stepside Shortbed - daily driver

Mando
vweater2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
midniteblues

Re: 1969 GMC Stepside SWB Tranny/Rear End Choices

tranny options are limited when stayin manual.
the granny 4 is a good stout trans that will handle alot more power than most other trannys.
just about any other trans will require a driveshaft change or just getting yours shortened plus a few other changes.

3spd manual(overdive optional)
saginaw/muncie/t10 4spd
a833 4spd
tremac 5/6 speed
t56 6 spd
nv3500/4500 5 spd
richmond

these are just off the top of my head some are better than others and there are other trans out there that will work you just gotta ask yourself what you really want.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
vweater2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
tranny options are limited when stayin manual.
the granny 4 is a good stout trans that will handle alot more power than most other trannys.
just about any other trans will require a driveshaft change or just getting yours shortened plus a few other changes.

3spd manual(overdive optional)
saginaw/muncie/t10 4spd
a833 4spd
tremac 5/6 speed
t56 6 spd
nv3500/4500 5 spd
richmond

these are just off the top of my head some are better than others and there are other trans out there that will work you just gotta ask yourself what you really want.
Thanks for the feedback...I have a friend that keeps telling me to get a Muncie M22 that they are rock solid. Might just get that soon enough, but what about rear end options? Can my stock rear end be rebuilt and have posi gears 4:11's put in?

Anyone out in the LA or San Fernando Valley know of any reputable shops that can help with this type of work?

Mando
Old 03-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Mike C

The M22 is a LOUSY street transmission. Yes, it is strong due to the reduced angle on the gear sets and, along with the M21, shares the distinction of being the closest ratio factory 4 speed transmission ever. Oh, and it's expensive because GM didn't make that many of them and they were only used in the much more rare powertrain vehicles. *(optional in big block Camaros and Z/28s, 454 Chevelles, Big Block 'vettes, etc)

These things make it loud and wanting 4.88 gears to run around town, and obviously that would be unacceptable for no-overdrive on the highway. And there are WAY more M22's for sale than they actually made. Usually because people think thats what they have because they don't know how to tell.

The 2.20 first gear of the M21/M22 really are best suited for restorations or track cars. The M20 is a better choice since you can run 3.30-3.90 gears for acceptable performance. But the granny 4 speed is a better transmission for the truck that will occasionally be used as a truck.

If you are building a hot rod you want to drive, look into an M20 or a wide or extra wide ratio Borg Warner Super T10. The 2.64 T10 and a set of 3.73 would be pretty nice.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
vweater2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
The M22 is a LOUSY street transmission. Yes, it is strong due to the reduced angle on the gear sets and, along with the M21, shares the distinction of being the closest ratio factory 4 speed transmission ever. Oh, and it's expensive because GM didn't make that many of them and they were only used in the much more rare powertrain vehicles. *(optional in big block Camaros and Z/28s, 454 Chevelles, Big Block 'vettes, etc)

These things make it loud and wanting 4.88 gears to run around town, and obviously that would be unacceptable for no-overdrive on the highway. And there are WAY more M22's for sale than they actually made. Usually because people think thats what they have because they don't know how to tell.

The 2.20 first gear of the M21/M22 really are best suited for restorations or track cars. The M20 is a better choice since you can run 3.30-3.90 gears for acceptable performance. But the granny 4 speed is a better transmission for the truck that will occasionally be used as a truck.

If you are building a hot rod you want to drive, look into an M20 or a wide or extra wide ratio Borg Warner Super T10. The 2.64 T10 and a set of 3.73 would be pretty nice.
Mike I appreciate the lesson on tranny...I'll know what to look for and what direction to go in!! Now, I wish I could switch the bed to a steel bed in lieu of the wood bed I have. Oh well, win some lose some!!

Mando