The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
Onebean

Who has a RideTech StreetGrip system on their truck? I have a few questions.

I'm drooling all over these StreetGrip systems. I would love to put one on my 72 LWB. Please post pictures of your truck with a StreetGrip system installed. Here are my questions.

How much did it lower the truck?

Is the rear frame notch necessary? How much frame cutting is involved to install it?

What size wheels and tires are you running?

How good is the ride and handling?

Thank you, Onebean
Onebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
beaterku

Re: Who has a RideTech StreetGrip system on their truck? I have a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebean View Post
I'm drooling all over these StreetGrip systems. I would love to put one on my 72 LWB. Please post pictures of your truck with a StreetGrip system installed. Here are my questions.

Is the rear frame notch necessary? How much frame cutting is involved to install it?

Thank you, Onebean
This is on my list of things to buy. I talked with Ridetech a few weeks about the kit. It's a little spendy, but the parts seem to be engineered well and their customer service is top notch.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: Who has a RideTech StreetGrip system on their truck? I have a few questions.

Quote:

Thank you, Onebean
Thanks for your interest in the kit, Ill do my best to answer the questions above.

The kit is designed to lower the truck approximately 4" in the front and 6" in the rear. We do have different spring rates to accommodate both big and small block/LS engines. Both sets of springs will retain the 4" drop.

In the rear, we do provide a small c-notch to allow ample suspension travel for the differential. This component is only a c-notch, not a large bridge so only minimal cutting is required and no changes to bed floor are necessary. We even provide spacers for the rear shock brace if a customer has a wooden bed floor instead of steel. Those customers with wood floors would just need to let us know when they order the kit so we can include the pieces.

As for wheels and tires, the truck used in most of our advertising and promotional videos has 275/40R18 in the rear and 255/40R18 in the front. We do not have any type of custom backspacing on these wheels, nor do we run a spacer.

In regards to ride quality and handling, I actually drove the truck from Jasper IN to Dallas TX (about 12hrs one way) just a few weeks ago to a show and was very pleased with the way it rode. Ill admit that "ride quality" is subjective but this kit is a drastic improvement over the stock components. The progressive spring rate provided by the Hyperco Coils combined with the rebound adjustment in the Fox shocks makes this truck a blast to drive. The rebound adjustment in the shocks allows you to fine tune the ride quality to your liking (plus the have a 1 million and 1 mile warranty)

I will include a link below to the components that come in the kit. Feel free to check them out and let me know what you think. My direct line and email address are listed below as well.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1963-1...ip-system.html

John Johnson
JJohnson@ridetech.com
812-471-4737
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Onebean

JohnJ, thanks for the reply. You answered my questions. The only other question would be regarding the wheel back spacing. Do you know what these wheels had for backspacing? Can you post a picture of the truck? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
JohnJ@RideTech

Below are a few images I took of the truck this morning for you guys. I apologize for the haziness of the photos, I seemed to have cracked the glass on my camera and gotten dust in it that I cannot get out.
These should give you a pretty good idea of how the truck sits.
I apologize for not having backspacing information. I wasn't able to get under there to do any measuring this morning. Check out the pics and let me know what you think.

Name:  C10 #1.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  C10 #2.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  34.3 KB
Name:  C10 #3.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  29.1 KB
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Onebean

Man, that truck is sweet! Thanks for the pictures!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
azle

This kit work with front disk? Thank you. Where are you out of, Dallas?

Azle
azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
JohnJ@RideTech

It will work with front discs. The truck shown in the picture actually has disc brakes on it. The kit comes with new drop spindles as well as a bolt on caliper bracket so you can convert your truck over if it is not already equipped.

Do you have a brake upgrade on your truck already?

We are located in Jasper, IN but we were in Texas last month with the truck for a GoodGuys show in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
JohnJ@RideTech

Quote:
Man, that truck is sweet! Thanks for the pictures!
Did you ever get your kit ordered?
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
Onebean

Not yet, I just picked up my truck yesterday. It traveled from SoCal to Denver, and I picked it up yesterday and transported it back to Nebraska. I probably won't order it till later this summer unless a sale pops up. My project list on this truck is getting populated quickly. I need to sort out my wheel and tire options, and figure out what my budget is. I would really like to ditch the stock a-arms and go tubular. Way better looks and I'm sure way better performance too. Can I run your tube a-arms with the Street Grip system?
Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
JohnJ@RideTech

Our control arms do not accept a coil spring unfortunately. We have a tubular arm for our Cool Ride system but the lower spring plate was not designed to retain a coil spring and the ones for our coil overs obviously wont work.
Is there a reason you are wanting to convert over to tubular arms other than aesthetics? We replace the factory rubber bushings with Delrin in the factory A-arms so there is less drag. It provides a smoother and quieter ride without doing anything crazy (or spending a lot more money). Unless you are planning on running hardcore auto cross events, I think you would be extremely happy with the ride quality and handling that just the Delrin bushings and single adjustable shocks that come in the kit.
Ride quality is subjective though. Do you have pictures of your truck build posted on here? Id love to check it out.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
Onebean

No pictures yet, but it's coming. Does the street grip include the re-engineered ball joints to correct the poorly designed geometry of the stock suspension. I've read a bunch on the Ride Tech website about correct that front tire tipping in hard cornering. I would like to freshen up the ride to today's standards, and cure the tipping tire issue.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #13
JohnJ@RideTech

We found that when you lower the ride height of the truck down to about 4 inches or so, the ball joint angle is actually in a pretty sweet spot with the factory hardware. That's one of the main reasons we don't include taller ball joints in the StreetGrip kit. The changes made with drop spindles and lowering springs (in regards to ride height) help with eliminating ball joint bind. (We also offer 3 different drop spindles for C10 trucks depending on what year you have)
When you start getting into the Level 2 kit with the tubular upper and lower control arms, dropped spindles etc. we do include a taller ball joint to maximize all of the changes we made in regards to steering geometry, handling etc.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Onebean

Ok, I understand. Does the truck in this thread have stock A-arms? Will you have it at any events in Nebraska this summer? I would love an opportunity to check it out take it for a ride/drive.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #15
JohnJ@RideTech

The truck does have stock a-arms. No changes were made to the suspension other than what comes in the StreetGrip, its the exact same kit that our customers will get.
I know that we, as a company, will be in Lincoln Nebraska on June 17th for the Goodguys event. I am unsure at this time if the C10 will be there or not. As of right now, the only confirmation I have of vehicles that are coming are our "race cars" the 48hr Camaro and the 48hr Corvette. If you want to see some truly nasty pro-touring cars, this would be the place to do it. If you sweet talk Bret or Chris, they may even let you take a ride in one.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #16
JohnJ@RideTech

I keep forgetting that I have a ton of pictures from the 48hr C10 build that I could post. Check these out and tell me what you think. This truck has the StreetGrip under it as well. We actually assembled this truck at Barrett-Jackson then auctioned it off.

Name:  48hr C10 Side.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  48hr C10 Corner.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  48hr C10 Burnout.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  39.2 KB
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #17
Onebean

That should work. I'll plan to be in Lincoln on June 17. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #18
mbuchli

Attached is a pic of my 69 on the streetgrip setup. I haven't driven it yet as I'm completing the la swap. It is a good kit and the install was straight forward. I have 20" detroit steel wheels on it.
Attached Images

mbuchli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #19
JohnJ@RideTech

Looks great man! I love those wheels.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Onebean

Thumbs up Re: Who has a RideTech StreetGrip system on their truck? I have a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchli View Post
Attached is a pic of my 69 on the streetgrip setup. I haven't driven it yet as I'm completing the la swap. It is a good kit and the install was straight forward. I have 20" detroit steel wheels on it.
Looks sweet! Feel free to share some more pictures when you have time.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #21
JohnJ@RideTech

For sure. Id like to see it as well.
JJohnson@ridetech.com

Last edited by JohnJ@RideTech; 05-04-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #22
mbuchli

Its still a project but attached are some pics showing the stance change and some gauges I'm setting up for the LS3.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
Onebean

That is sweet! Nice work.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #24
JohnJ@RideTech

I agree with Onebean, that truck is coming along great!
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #25
mbuchli

Thanks Everyone. I am excited to drive it this summer. OneBean, I am originally from your neck of the woods. I grew up just south by outside of Alexandria Ne. My grandpa has the old salvage yard in Hebron Ne. Its a small world!