The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
71c10longbed

Rocker panel replacement ?

I am in the process of replacing inner/outer rocker panel, bottom of a-pillars, and cab supports.

I am using the inner rocker replacement panel that includes the outer portion of the floor pan.

I have everything cut out and tacked/screwed in. The door fits fairly well.

My issue is that there is channel or ridge created between the inner and outer rocker right around the weatherstrip area. It should be about 1/2 inch wide. My is about 1/8 off towards the back of the truck. It doesn't affect the outer rocker fit because I can adjust it. I will try to post some pictures later.

My question is - does this matter or will it be covered. If it does matter I need to trim the floor pan an extra 1/8 inch in the back - which means unscrewing/untacking etc...
71c10longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
71c10longbed

Re: Rocker panel replacement ?

Here is a picture of the gap I mentioned. Towards the front it is 1/2 inch exactly like passenger side. Towards the rear of the cab it goes down to abuot 1/4 inch.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
old Chevy guy

I had that happen when I did my cab too. I think it's just poor stamping on the replacement part. If the door fits good and your lines are ok, nail it. Just check to Make sure your weatherstrip fits in the gap. As long as the weather strip gets in there the threshold piece will cover it all up and you won't see the discrepancies. That's what I think but I'm no body man, although I have repaired at least a half dozen of these cabs in the last 30 years.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
71c10longbed

Thanks for the response Old Chevy Guy.

I went and looked at it again and sure enough the lip on the outer rocker that makes that ridge is off by about an 1/8 inch in various places - that is the way it was stamped. It looks like I tried cutting it with my cutting wheel, uneven and wavy -lol.

Darn ROC body parts. I ordered a new door so I'll make sure that fits and then start the welding party.

I have been paranoid about measuring since I am replacing so much and this is my first project like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 AM   #5
El Dorado Jim

how did it work out for you, I am about to do the same to my truck, i am nervous
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote