The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
dcfd470

New Metal for a 72 c10

Hi I am doing a ground up on my 72. I am going to need a little metal work and I wanted to see what if any parts match up. I know that they are not going to be as good as original but I want to get as close as possible. I am not doing the work I have someone else doing the metal and painting. They do really nice work for a decent price. I need both cab corners they were replaced before and look OK from the outside but not on the inside. I need inner and outer rockers on both sides because of very minor holes. I need front 2 cab supports. My doors need a little work not too much but I also wanted to know if it is just better to replace them. I have seen the for about 375.00 if I can get the originals looking for less than that I will keep them. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Bill
dcfd470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: New Metal for a 72 c10

I did all of what you just said on my 1972 GMC and all the metal cost me around 375 bucks. I ended up not needing the front floor pan patch panels so I sold those here locally.

Do a forum search and double check the rocker panels. Some of them are garbage and others are pretty good. The cab corners aren't all that great, but they are workable. I am in the process of finishing up my drivers side cab corner now.

You can look at my build thread (link in signature "Rebuild of Creeping Death") to see what I've done with the metalwork. All done by me.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
dcfd470

How about Goodmark for the doors?
dcfd470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfd470 View Post
How about Goodmark for the doors?
I just finished two new Goodmark doors on my build. Compared to the doors I bought about 8 years ago, these are very nice. I had no issues with the latches catching the door jams, and the lines are very nice. One problem I had years ago was the curve of the window frame didn't fit the opening. These fit.

Shop around. I think I paid $300 each for the doors. I did some trading with old parts, frame, rough bed and so on, so I'm not really sure.

You'll still have to wipe with filler, as there are some very slight pressing marks and so on, but these were much easier to work than doing a bunch of patching on the originals. I know, others on here swear by the originals and they may be better, but mine were rusted thru where the hinges mount, one hinge had been welded on, and when they went thru the media blasting they basically came apart.

I'm happy with the Goodmark door...
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote