The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
ubtripn

3-D Printing of Small Parts

So I was missing a small handle for one of the three heat slider levers. (Sorry I don't know the official name.) and an employee printed one off for me. It was amazing. I then asked for a seatbelt plug and a couple of other small items and it worked like a charm. Anybody else ever print a part?
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 3-D Printing of Small Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
So I was missing a small handle for one of the three heat slider levers. (Sorry I don't know the official name.) and an employee printed one off for me. It was amazing. I then asked for a seatbelt plug and a couple of other small items and it worked like a charm. Anybody else ever print a part?

I have a couple of things I would like to try and get done but I don't know where to look for someone that has a good 3-D printer....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
ubtripn

That was the thing, his was about $300 and then the cost of material, I thought the cost would be MUCH higher but its within our reach now.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Bigdav160

I made this a/c vent retainers for the back of my Burb
Attached Images

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I made this a/c vent retainers for the back of my Burb

Does it make it a lot easier if a person actually has a part to copy?

LockDoc

-
Old 03-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
ubtripn

THAT is AWESOME!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Does it make it a lot easier if a person actually has a part to copy?

LockDoc
Not really as you still have to put the measurements in cad software..

now the laser plotting to build a 3d scan of a part is killer but that is a little pricey at the moment..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Bigdav160

I draw my parts in Sketchup (free) and export as .stl

Laser scanners are still $3k

The beauty is you can design or improve a design quickly
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Not really as you still have to put the measurements in cad software..

now the laser plotting to build a 3d scan of a part is killer but that is a little pricey at the moment..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I draw my parts in Sketchup (free) and export as .stl

Laser scanners are still $3k

The beauty is you can design or improve a design quickly
Thanks guys.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Robznob11

I have been contemplating buying a 3d printer to do small stuff. I just wonder how sturdy the end products are? Also where would one look to compare printers so you can get the best bang for the buck so to speak....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
I have been contemplating buying a 3d printer to do small stuff. I just wonder how sturdy the end products are? Also where would one look to compare printers so you can get the best bang for the buck so to speak....
I've printed many parts for various projects, and I will say that it is awesome for prototyping and test fitting, but not so great for longevity if it's a part that is going to be subject to any sort of stress. If you're trying to replace a part that broke over time or during normal operation, your printed part is sure to fail as well. A mould plastic part is always going to be considerably stronger than an identical printed part. Eventually, the layers that compose the print start to break apart under stress. There are ways to design the print so you can optimize strength, and you just have to keep this in mind when choosing what applications you want to utilize your 3D printer for.

I have several 3D printers at work, all of them the standard layer by layer extruded plastic type. These are the most common and readily available. Ours are either Makerbot or FlashForge (improved version of original Makerbot). FlashForge is an Amazon company, with Prime shipping you can have it and start printing in two days. This printer has been very dependable but it starts at about $1,000. There are many other options for much less than that, several of which are simply parts lists with build instructions for you to construct your own printer. We have one of these and it works but is very temperamental. There are plenty of printer comparison articles out there. This article is pretty good. I've used a few on this list and have found you get what you pay for, to a point. Anything under about $500 and it's going to require a fair bit of maintenance and supervision. Anything over about $1200 and you're just paying for extra (nonessential) features and maybe higher resolution.

Ok, that's enough about 3D printers for now.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I've printed many parts for various projects, and I will say that it is awesome for prototyping and test fitting, but not so great for longevity if it's a part that is going to be subject to any sort of stress. If you're trying to replace a part that broke over time or during normal operation, your printed part is sure to fail as well. A mould plastic part is always going to be considerably stronger than an identical printed part. Eventually, the layers that compose the print start to break apart under stress. There are ways to design the print so you can optimize strength, and you just have to keep this in mind when choosing what applications you want to utilize your 3D printer for.

I have several 3D printers at work, all of them the standard layer by layer extruded plastic type. These are the most common and readily available. Ours are either Makerbot or FlashForge (improved version of original Makerbot). FlashForge is an Amazon company, with Prime shipping you can have it and start printing in two days. This printer has been very dependable but it starts at about $1,000. There are many other options for much less than that, several of which are simply parts lists with build instructions for you to construct your own printer. We have one of these and it works but is very temperamental. There are plenty of printer comparison articles out there. This article is pretty good. I've used a few on this list and have found you get what you pay for, to a point. Anything under about $500 and it's going to require a fair bit of maintenance and supervision. Anything over about $1200 and you're just paying for extra (nonessential) features and maybe higher resolution.

Appreciate the info. I don't know if I would do enough to justify the expense of buying one. I would probably be better off just paying someone to make the couple of pieces I need.... I read an article that said it is best to use the 3d printer to make a prototype and have parts molded from that. I did find a couple of places on Craigslist that do it so I'm going to check with them.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #13
supercheyenne

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I've always been fascinated by them.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
Robznob11

Quote:

Thank you sir!
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #15
Burbor

Thumbs up Re: 3-D Printing of Small Parts

I sell, install, repair Stratasys 3D printers for a living. I have designed and printed several things for my Burb. One of the latest was a gas pedal mounting bracket to adapt my '69 to the later style gas pedal (cable vs linkage).

Printed in Ultem material, tapped holes are Heli-coiled.

LockDoc, you helped me out a while back, I'd be happy to return the favour if I can. Send me a note with what you're looking to do.

Rob
Burbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
smith59

I was thinking about what you were saying
I am confused in my choice, The list is very long, In your opinion what is the best printer in this list, And be suitable in price.
smith59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbor View Post
I sell, install, repair Stratasys 3D printers for a living. I have designed and printed several things for my Burb. One of the latest was a gas pedal mounting bracket to adapt my '69 to the later style gas pedal (cable vs linkage).

Printed in Ultem material, tapped holes are Heli-coiled.

LockDoc, you helped me out a while back, I'd be happy to return the favour if I can. Send me a note with what you're looking to do.

Rob

PM sent.

Thanks Rob,
LockDoc

-
Old 04-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
davepl

I bought a BOXZY at an auction a couple of weeks ago... it's a 3D printer, laser engraver, and 3-axis mill in one. So far I've only printed Pokemon models for the kids, but it seems to work well enough!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #19
feller

I was just thinking about this the other day
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #20
Jason Banks

Here is a thread I started about something I made.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=684109

Here is a picture of the magnetic phone mount I made:

Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That's a very nice mount. 3d printing is so cool.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #22
Dustmaker65

Quote:

Very cool info! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
Here is a thread I started about something I made.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=684109

Here is a picture of the magnetic phone mount I made:

Wow, I never seen this. Have you tried to sell them on here?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #23
Jason Banks

If you follow that link to the thread I started there is a link to shapeways.com where you can buy one. Just the plastic part. Looks like it is $11.99 delivered. I think I would get $2 of that.

You would still need your own bolt and "Ram Mounts Ball" or you can weld up the magnetic thing like I did. I went the magnetic way because I have that magnetic mount in my other truck and even have one to use in rental cars.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #24
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Pictures for member Burbor. This will give you an idea of what it looks like....

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 04-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #25
Vtec2V8

We do 3-D printing at my work, unfortunately it is wax printing that gets material poured into into the wax mold, with a good urethane plastic, the part should be pretty damn strong. Alot of the plastic parts ive seen printed are ABS plastic. While this stuff is cheap and semi sturdy, ABS is not repairable with glue or any plastic weld. We use a company called QUICK PARTS, they can print in several different density plastics. Ive had my engineers draw up a few cad models for me and had a friend who owns a 5-axis make parts for me out of aluminum. 3-D printing is pretty damn awesome!
Vtec2V8 is offline   Reply With Quote