The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Crapped Out Parts

What to do? You can end up with some pretty lousy looking parts, whether they are your cast-offs or ended up with them some other ways. I'll restore a part to use rather than toss. It just ain't right tossing parts...or is it? I know of people throwing away parts, like good steering wheels, hoods, steel wheels, etc. in the past they never would have had they known the worth they would have now? Dented trim can be fixed, crappy seats can be rebuilt, cracked steering wheels can be restored...or can they all? I have some cracked up 67/68 wheels I plan to restore. I decided to take a couple to Carlisle this week to sell. I sold the one with hairline cracks, but the other is all cracked up all over. I'm not sure such a wheel is worth restoring. I mean, are those the only cracks it will ever get or would I restore it only to have new cracks appear between the repaired cracks? That....would...suck! Wouldn't it? I was going to ask $25 if anyone was interested, but no one was. People used to toss original fenders with rusted front cups to replace with repop only to find that didn't fit. Or even just an OEM with dents. Same as doors. Now we have people buying OEMs with rusted cup to repair and replace a crappy repop and people buying doors to repair the bottom. I crushed a '67 small window cab because the rear support and back wall had rust. Now I would not toss any cab with lower rot. As the good OEM stuff getes harder to find, the crappy stuff becomes desirable, so what do you do? Thre are some of us who want not a single extra part laying around to those who hang onto everything. So what do or would you do with a part that is not so presentable?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Crapped Out Parts

I don't know. I did a disc-brake conversion on my '70 2500, so now I've got a COMPLETE drum brake front end setup for a 1970 C20 sitting in my garage.

It's huge, it's heavy, it's probably worth nothing at all. What should I do with it? Try to find it a home, or haul it to the dump? I'd have to pay to get rid of it! But no one wants drum brakes.

Same deal with used windshields. Kept them a while, then had to smash them up into bits, which hurt, and throw them away. But no one wanted them.

I gave a lot of stuff away (bumpers, glass, all kinds of stuff) but you're still left with the stuff no one needs but that you -might- conceivably one day be upset you tossed.

In the end, free space is worth something too!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'm in the same boat, with only one truck, just a few extra parts to maybe sell instead of tossing.

davepl, where I live we put metal scrap at the curb and scavengers take it away. It isn't legal for them to do it, but that law is seldom enforced, it seems. It's better than going to the dump, I guess. And the waste management company doesn't want vehicle parts in their barrels. I guess because of the petroleum products.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
raggedjim

Well, I have stuff I have held onto much longer than I should have. Most if it I will end up scrapping but I have helped 2 guys on the board out with things in the last 2 weeks because I kept them instead of scrapping them.

I have a good used 1955 DESOTO windshield, DESOTO! I know I'll probably have it forever... but I hate to scrap it.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
midniteblues

I've been slowly assembling this pile of extra not so great parts it's the one on the right not the kids 67
I call it my scrap truck, most of it is parts I couldn't bring myself too scrap. But there is a point when you only have enough space too store border line parts.

Forgot the pic...
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
richards72chevy

Maybe start a pay it forward thread like the 60-66 side.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

A pay it forward thread is a great idea. Won't work so well with Dave's front drum brake assemblies...unless local. I want original windshields in my trucks if they aren't chipped, cracked, or fogged up. I can deal with other ear over a crystal clear replacement that just might fit. But I'm not doing anywhere near show quality again.
Since I've been on this site I've seen lots of things "become" desirable that weren't previously. I remember seeing members tossing 6cyls & 3spds, then people wanting them for better gas mileage, to remain original, or because they came around to realizing those are cool, too. I've seen all kinds of AM radios tossed for aftermarket stereos. People were saying this weekend how bench seats are hard to find and they are bringing more money. How many were tossed to install Toyota or other seats?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #8
toolboxchev

I could not agree more with the statements above. How about starting a trade only thread??

PS I will not ever get rid of my drum brakes if I do not have too. Those things stop on a dime when I want them too.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 AM   #9
El Dorado Jim

I had a really clean 67 truck a few years back, got it for free, I pulled the engine and trans...then tried to sell the truck, no one wanted it, I think I sold it for around $200.00...go figure...that was before I found this forum....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 AM   #10
LongBox

I bet most of us have had this issue. I've taken blocks, springs, axles, and trannies to the dump because nobody was willing to pay for them -- I just got tired of them being in the way. Hurts to think of it because for someone, they could have been a game changer.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Do people really take scrap to the dump and pay? Do those of you not have a scrap yard? It's not just that you get paid rather than pay for disposal, your junk becomes new products that reduce what we pull from the ground rather than fill the ground along with all the other debris we have issues finding a place for. Scrap iron has been a penny a pound most of my life. If I have a trashed block, rear, etc I will run it to the scrap yard for a couple few bucks. It's not about the money, it's about new blocks being made from old.

Tim

Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #12
flashed

I try to find a home for all my old parts ,be it here ,swap meets ,or giving it away to help someone else .I have too much still and I have been cleaning out a lot .But I also keep on buying more stuff .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
A pay it forward thread is a great idea. Won't work so well with Dave's front drum brake assemblies...unless local. I want original windshields in my trucks if they aren't chipped, cracked, or fogged up. I can deal with other ear over a crystal clear replacement that just might fit. But I'm not doing anywhere near show quality again.
Since I've been on this site I've seen lots of things "become" desirable that weren't previously. I remember seeing members tossing 6cyls & 3spds, then people wanting them for better gas mileage, to remain original, or because they came around to realizing those are cool, too. I've seen all kinds of AM radios tossed for aftermarket stereos. People were saying this weekend how bench seats are hard to find and they are bringing more money. How many were tossed to install Toyota or other seats?
Man I had two bench seat up at spring Carlisle and one of them was in great shape and sold the first day, the other needed to be recovered but I damn near had to give it away and twist the guys arm to sell it to him. But that's also the car show because he sit's there and beats me up on the price then pulls out the bank envelope with stacks of 100 dollar bills...

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
ChaseBBC

I just picked these two guys up yesterday for my donors. I know I'll have leftovers for days once I'm done.
Attached Images

ChaseBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
Warrens69GMC

Someone may not need Dave's whole drum assembly, but think of someone who may need a c20 drum brake hub? When was the last time you saw just one for sale?
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
Jeff's bowtie's

Biketopia Was one of them a nice saddle seat
Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #17
Jeff's bowtie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseBBC View Post
I just picked these two guys up yesterday for my donors. I know I'll have leftovers for days once I'm done.
Here you go
Attached Images

Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
ChaseBBC

thanks jeff lol
ChaseBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's bowtie's View Post
Biketopia Was one of them a nice saddle seat
Naw it was a nice scroll vinyl cover.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #20
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

I like the "Pay it forward" thread idea. The person needing the part covers shipping?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #21
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The sucky part about it is a lot of the parts are either huge and oversized or weigh a ton. So shipping can get tricky. Bu I guess if someone needs one of those oversized heavy parts and are willing to pay shipping, it is still a deal to them.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #22
jeffahart

Yes, if you don't have a truck to haul scrap it can cost you to haul you scrap to a yard. And the pennies made is not much. So even if you pay a buddy, or buy him lunch and a couple beers to haul it for you. The money for the scrap is minimal.

I took my Dana44, eaton HO52 two saddle tanks, leaf springs... and so on, to the scrap heap. Only thing I did was take the ring and pinions out and the Detroit locker. Guys on this site have those now. Tried to sell all on CL for a month... then bye bye.... I don't like heavy oily items around. I will keep smaller stuff usually.

When I took the axles and saddles to the scrap yard, I gave all the money to a homeless guy that helped me unload some of the smaller stuff. Hope he got back on his feet!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #23
70STOVEBOLT

I took my old cab to the scrap yard a couple years ago. It was stripped of everything that could be removed except glass. I got $30 for it. In my opinion it was not worth fixing. It needed both rockers, cab corners, the cowl was rusting out in spots, and the panel above the windshield had several rust holes. I advertised it before I scrapped it but no one wanted it. I agree with Tim, it's about recycling, not getting paid. Getting paid is nice, but we have to respect the earth and try to preserve it for our future generations. For the record I am not a tree-hugger but as I become more mature, those types of things matter to me more.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #24
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
How about starting a trade only thread??
I think we need to trade more parts and labor. Then we can't be taxed or scrutinized.

I am down for that.

But the forum will want $$ to access it...
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Check out my build thread, I'm going "back to GM" with my truck. The aftermarket doors are going bye bye, as are the front fenders, although they did fit decent. Also cutting down a longbed because I don't want a repop bed. There should only be small patches and rockers on my truck after this...

Cut this down:

into this:

saved a really clean/straight 67 fender:

Doors:

Ready for just a bit of filler and 50 more years of service.

These are greatly abbreviated, check out my build thread for way more details
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote