The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #76
1966chevy

Re: 1966 chevy truck engine swap to LS1

Here is some more.
Attached Images

1966chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #77
1966chevy

Here are more on the door panels.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
JGross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966chevy View Post
I also molded some kick panels or would say modified aftermarket panels, where the fresh air vents use to be. Here are some pictures. I removed the speaker pop outs which was at the bottom of the kick (you can kinda see the round portion a little bit) and I moved it up to the vent holes and closed in the top portion of the vent. Sanded it, used plastic filler, sanded it again spray it with primer, then textured paint and then painted it like the dash, flat black sealer. I attached the with a product I purchased at "Rod Doors" to hold door panels on. Worked great.
I close up the vents because I have new aftermarket AC and fresh air would affect the performance of the AC unit. No more fresh air, put the window down or turn the fan on.
Nice build, I just got done putting a 5.3L vortec in by 65. Love the kick panel mods I have the same aftermarket panels with the speakes installed but the drives side speaker makes it hard to work the dimmer. What materail did you use to mod your panels? Thanks.
JGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #79
1966chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGross View Post
Nice build, I just got done putting a 5.3L vortec in by 65. Love the kick panel mods I have the same aftermarket panels with the speakes installed but the drives side speaker makes it hard to work the dimmer. What materail did you use to mod your panels? Thanks.
Flat Black PVC plastic purschased at Tap Plastics. Use black PVC glues at OSH or hareware store. You can sand it and use pastic bondo to fill in the imperfections. Happy building!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #80
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Very nice work on those door panels

One of these days I need to try my hand with plastics. Can a guy use the same PVC glue as used on PVC pipe?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #81
78f1hundo

Hey, quick question, was there anyway you could have kept the ac compressor low? Seems like allot of LSX conversions you have to move it to the top side.....?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #82
earl84

Those door panel are amazing! Nice work.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #83
1966chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Very nice work on those door panels

One of these days I need to try my hand with plastics. Can a guy use the same PVC glue as used on PVC pipe?
yes
Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #84
billysbowties

Thumbs up Re: 1966 chevy truck engine swap to LS1

I have been sewing for over 30 years and I have to say that those door panels look great, what did you use for the stainless trim. I know you said that you used something you got from Rod Doors to hold the door panels on but I think there out of business now and I can't find out what it is so if you could tell your secret that would be great. The main reason I wanted to reply to your thread was something I have been wanting to do for a long time and that's one piece glass, did you just do this by trail and error or some other means. Any information on the process of doing this would be greatly appreciated, like what window motors and track or whatever info you can. Thanks Alot
billysbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #85
JGross

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysbowties View Post
... The main reason I wanted to reply to your thread was something I have been wanting to do for a long time and that's one piece glass, did you just do this by trail and error or some other means. Any information on the process of doing this would be greatly appreciated, like what window motors and track or whatever info you can. Thanks Alot
I'm also thinking of installing the one piece side windows, I've done some resurch and posted some questions for those that have done the mod no responses so far. There is a kit out there for the conversion from NoLimites.com that has mixed reviews. This is what I've found out so far.

1966Chevy I would be interested in hearing your answers to these questions.

I’m thinking of installing one piece side windows in my 65 daily driver. I’ve searched and read most if not all of the post on this modification and I think the issues/concerns can be summed up as follows;

1. It requires a lot of cutting to the door, and the vent windows will be destroyed.
2. The door check may be in the way
3. Removing pieces of the door’s internal structure may leave the door “flimsy”

I’m not concerned with issue 1 I’m pretty good at metal fabrication. So what is you experience with the modification and did you have any problems with issues 2 and 3.

Since this is my daily drive I have one more questions, any issues with wind noise or leaking while driving in the rain?

Thanks for your Help
JGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #86
1966chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGross View Post
I'm also thinking of installing the one piece side windows, I've done some resurch and posted some questions for those that have done the mod no responses so far. There is a kit out there for the conversion from NoLimites.com that has mixed reviews. This is what I've found out so far.

1966Chevy I would be interested in hearing your answers to these questions.

I’m thinking of installing one piece side windows in my 65 daily driver. I’ve searched and read most if not all of the post on this modification and I think the issues/concerns can be summed up as follows;

1. It requires a lot of cutting to the door, and the vent windows will be destroyed.
2. The door check may be in the way
3. Removing pieces of the door’s internal structure may leave the door “flimsy”

I’m not concerned with issue 1 I’m pretty good at metal fabrication. So what is you experience with the modification and did you have any problems with issues 2 and 3.

Since this is my daily drive I have one more questions, any issues with wind noise or leaking while driving in the rain?

Thanks for your Help
Yes, I used the KIT from NoLimites.com.
I was waiting for someone to ask about this in my thread.

Item #2
I had to biuld two cable door check/stops because the stock steal ridged door stop would hit the window or Rail/track. I can take some pictures of mine so you can see it what I did.

Item#3
I did have to remove quite a bit of metal from the inside of the doors directly under the old wing windows. I felt the same about having the door be flimsy after doing this. So I didn't take the chance! I bent some the metal and reinforced the door jam near the hinges. I think closest the where the hing mounts would have been the weak point. I treated the metal inside of the door after I was completed with the metal fabrication.

Lots of installing and removing the glass for fitting, be care full to protect the windows with scratches while doing this. The rails were probably the hardest to set in place, follow the directions on this part.

I also had to build different size (Bar Gauge) windows extentions below the glass mounts because I use the wing window rails/Track. The wing window rails are a different size then the stock rail on the outside of the door (which you reuse & do not remove) follow the directions on this part. If you can get another set of stock rails/track from the wrecker you can use the parts that come in the box.
Those are my points any questions let me know. If your a metal fabricator you can do this.
Happy building!!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #87
1966chevy

Quote:
I have been sewing for over 30 years and I have to say that those door panels look great, what did you use for the stainless trim. I know you said that you used something you got from Rod Doors to hold the door panels on but I think there out of business now and I can't find out what it is so if you could tell your secret that would be great. The main reason I wanted to reply to your thread was something I have been wanting to do for a long time and that's one piece glass, did you just do this by trail and error or some other means. Any information on the process of doing this would be greatly appreciated, like what window motors and track or whatever info you can. Thanks Alot
See the following tread about the one piece window info.. Yes I did it by trail and error.

The other thing about the door panels. I tried locating some of these panels and couldn't, so I build my own. I used PVC plastic purchased at Tap Plastics and built edges on the sides to accomodate the bend of the door panel and used push pegs for a clean look to install them on the door.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #88
1966chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78f1hundo View Post
Hey, quick question, was there anyway you could have kept the ac compressor low? Seems like allot of LSX conversions you have to move it to the top side.....?

Thanks,

Steve
No not for what I wanted to do the frame rail was in the way. You would have to cut and reinforce the frame rail to have kept it in the lower position. So I guess you could if you reinforced the frame.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #89
1966chevy

Quote:
Forgot to answer your question, what did you use for the stainless trim?
1969 Mustang interior door panel trim. I had to shorten it to fit this panel.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #90
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing the door panel details. I diamond tufted my lower door panels several years ago and was disappointed because I wanted to do the entire doors but couldn't figure a way to resolve the upper panel issue. Your concept eliminates the problems to full size panels.

I've been reasonably content with the way they've looked until today. When my wife asks why I'm doing them over I'm going to blame it on you!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #91
Spragg

Engine bay looks great as does the interior. Thanks for posting the one piece glass info, I want to put them in my "wifes" truck.
Spragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #92
newagecustom
c10 Chop Artist

Do you have a link to where you got the window kit? How is the function of the window after everything was installed? Is it loose or wobbly at any point in its travel? What about excessive wind noise?
newagecustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #93
1966chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagecustom View Post
Do you have a link to where you got the window kit? How is the function of the window after everything was installed? Is it loose or wobbly at any point in its travel? What about excessive wind noise?
Windows are not wobbly at all I could drive with them half down with very very little wobbly. Use the window extenders to reduce the window wobbly. Be sure to test fit the windows more than once and get it tight but not to tight. I'm running power windows so they have to be loose enough to run the power windows. No wind noise with them up at all then they are up, I installed new weather stripping (which comes with the kit) and I had to custom build the window felt, no one makes it (one Piece glass) for this for this truck. I found some felt at a local car show and had the bend each end to match the door contour. I used small stainless steel screws to secure them in place. Window Felt pictures are noted further back on this thread.

Your going to have to call them.
(909) 386-7637
http://www.nolimit.net
Old 10-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #94
1966chevy

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the jig I built to create the Fresh air vent covers behind the speaker kickers. This seals the outside vent off from debris coming into the cab. I used a gasket between the metal and plastic. On the kicker, I moved the speaker holes up to the vent opening and closed up the old speaker holes at the bottom. You can see a very little bit left of the circle which I didn't use enough filler in the picture on the drivers side.
See the pictures above for the Cowl Vent closed of as well.
Here are some pictures of the cowl Vent and my Hood windshield sprayers.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #95
1966chevy

Quote:
Windows are not wobbly at all I could drive with them half down with very very little wobbly. Use the window extenders to reduce the window wobbly. Be sure to test fit the windows more than once and get it tight but not to tight. I'm running power windows so they have to be loose enough to run the power windows. No wind noise with them up at all then they are up, I installed new weather stripping (which comes with the kit) and I had to custom build the window felt, no one makes it (one Piece glass) for this for this truck. I found some felt at a local car show and had the bend each end to match the door contour. I used small stainless steel screws to secure them in place. Window Felt pictures are noted further back on this thread.

Your going to have to call them.
(909) 386-7637
http://www.nolimit.net
Here are some pictures of the window Felt.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #96
1966chevy

Tinted one piece glass, gives it a very different but an awesome look. Something to get use to. I keep wanting to reach for my wing window as an oh S+%# handle. LOL
I still have to install my Custom badge markers on each side of the cab!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #97
low79fx

One question what is the hole towards the upper front corner of door panels for. By the way cool up grades.
low79fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #98
1966chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by low79fx View Post
One question what is the hole towards the upper front corner of door panels for. By the way cool up grades.

Tweeters!! To work with 2 speakers in the kickers the cross overs are above the kickers. Also 2 more speakers are behind the seats, and what is pushing all of this is a 4 way AMP under the seat. All hooked up to a stock AM radio that has been converted to AM/FM, AUX in IPOD, with 4 AC jack outputs.
Yes!! stock AM radio!
The stock radio fits just as is was suppose fit in the dash that is not cut up.
The sound is awesome! My iPod and power have been run to the center consul on the middle of the seats. so putting my iPhone is there as music is playing is out of the way.

Mike Hagen's
www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com
MikeHaganAntiqueAutoRadio.com
235 Glouster Rd
Fairless Hills, PA 19030
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #99
1966chevy

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by ETsC10; 11-12-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #100
ole dollor

looks great, do they only work on fleet side? how about step side tail gate..

Last edited by chevy_mike; 09-24-2014 at 10:00 PM.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote