The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
JimmyCriswell

Blinker assembly

I believe I have found the culprit to my left front blinker not working and it appears to be the connection between the bulb and socket. Mine are original made in USA metal with a bronze appearing socket. Can I just purchase another socket to replace this? If so, how do I remove the old one without messing up the housing. Trying to get this truck inspected so I can get it registered in my name. Then it will soon be going up for sale to help with medical expenses for my mom. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
JimmyCriswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Blinker assembly

There is a way to disassemble the socket and repair it, but there's no pieces for it, so it would be temporary. In this case it's best to purchase a new one. GMCPauls or Classic Heartbeat will have the best quality.

The issue with these is increased heat, caused by increased resistance. Several causes for it but on trucks as old as these it's pretty common. Best of luck getting it fixed and sold.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
cdowns

Local autoparts store has rebuild kits available over the counter in the help section for a buck or two to get it done
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
JimmyCriswell

Has anyone used one of the over the counter kits and had success with it? I want it to be done right for the next owner. One less thing they will have to worry about.

Jimmy
Old 10-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
leftybass209

if you are going to rebuild it, make sure you get the 1157 socket that has the buttons for lack of a better term, with springs underneath, and a metal housing. The problem with the cheap plastic housings is, they're cheap plastic. They absorb a lot of heat and become brittle. They also have metal tabs instead of spring loaded connections to the back of the bulb. The tabs are a spring steel/brass (whatever the manufacturer uses) and they absorb a lot of heat. Any spring metal loses tension as the spring metal heats up.

Basically, the original design has lasted this long, and the aftermarket stuff doesn't last very long at all.

To clarify my original post, what I should have said was, there's no individual pieces to repair it. You must replace the entire socket, or the entire assembly.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
cdowns

I've used the rebuild kits no need to replace the socket it takes less than a half hour depending how far you are away from the autoparts store // they have held up very good for a number of years till i sold the vehicles and never heard of one goin bad
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
JimmyCriswell

Thank you to all who helped. I was able to diagnose that my assembly was good. My problem ended up being a ground at the firewall terminal block. The assembly was a little loose causing a poor connection. you guys are awesome!