The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
jocko

Post your "one that got away"

So, like the title says, post your ONE that got away if you have a picture and a story (I've had many that "got away" but am narrowing it down to the single biggest brain fart I've ever had, and sharing with you all ). Who knows, maybe someone will find your former holy grail for you and you'll get a second chance - that's what I'm hoping for!

I'll start. This one brings a tear to my eye, I was so close to pulling the trigger on this one, but was in the middle of a move, getting married, AND out of work all at the same time. I should've found a way. If I ever find it again, for even close to the ridiculously low price, I'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

72 C20 Custom Deluxe, Custom Camper, Highlander Package C, 402, oh.. AND a Longhorn. Just shoot me.

I've searched and searched, but she's gone, gone, gone. Anyone seen it? Anyone? Beuller??
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Post your "one that got away"

Bought, built, sold, lost and gone for about 7 years....searched for 2 years, found and bought back.

Corrected Brain Fart!
Attached Images

1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
So, like the title says, post your ONE that got away if you have a picture and a story (I've had many that "got away" but am narrowing it down to the single biggest brain fart I've ever had, and sharing with you all ). Who knows, maybe someone will find your former holy grail for you and you'll get a second chance - that's what I'm hoping for!

I'll start. This one brings a tear to my eye, I was so close to pulling the trigger on this one, but was in the middle of a move, getting married, AND out of work all at the same time. I should've found a way. If I ever find it again, for even close to the ridiculously low price, I'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

72 C20 Custom Deluxe, Custom Camper, Highlander Package C, 402, oh.. AND a Longhorn. Just shoot me.

I've searched and searched, but she's gone, gone, gone. Anyone seen it? Anyone? Beuller??
It seems like you should be jumping on the Facebook Longhorn in the C/L finds thread. They look to be similar trucks plus the Facebook one is GREEN!!! Or maybe you are and you are just trying to throw everyone off the scent by talking about doors and mirrors.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

1986 I was in the army in Colorado Springs, found a 72 sierra grande parked on the side of the road out of town towards the east....for sale sign in the window, short bed big block tilt tach and a/c, it was in good condition, all stock, upper and lower trim, ochre, no white, it was $900. I didn't have the money as I just bought a 72 shorty 6cyl 3spd. I asked my wife to borrow the money from her mom, she told me she said no...later I found out she never asked to borrow the money....
It was the first time I saw a short bed big block truck and the first factory tach too, I was in love with it. I always say I would still have it today, probably wouldn't but that's my version of the story....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
Chevyland

Great idea Jocko😩😩
Now
Hurry up and get the one ApacheIvan just found
On the cl thread😀😀
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:02 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

BEAUTIFUL truck Jocko. Some great stories here.

I don't have a picture. Anyway, I had just bought my 72 when a faded solid dark blue 71 SWB step side came up for $3,000. It was a desert truck, and by the pictures the body and probably frame were rock solid. The interior had been redone, I believe with reproduction parts.

Seems it was fairly low miles. If memory serves me, it was a straight six, and may have been on a clutch. If I had the room I'd have bought it anyway. Not sure my wife would understand having a third Chevy though, and I already have three trucks.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-17-2017 at 01:29 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 AM   #7
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
1986 I was in the army in Colorado Springs, found a 72 sierra grande parked on the side of the road out of town towards the east....for sale sign in the window, short bed big block tilt tach and a/c, it was in good condition, all stock, upper and lower trim, ochre, no white, it was $900. I didn't have the money as I just bought a 72 shorty 6cyl 3spd.

I asked my wife to borrow the money from her mom, she told me she said no...later I found out she never asked to borrow the money....

It was the first time I saw a short bed big block truck and the first factory tach too, I was in love with it. I always say I would still have it today, probably wouldn't but that's my version of the story....

?Do you still have the wife??
If so
It was probably better you didn't, end up with the truck
If not
I can see why, your bummed 🙁
Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
?Do you still have the wife??
If so
It was probably better you didn't, end up with the truck
If not
I can see why, your bummed 🙁
Still have the wife and i still give her a hard time about letting that truck get away, it comes up about once a year I would guess. Luckily I have had hundreds of cars and trucks, basically everything I ever wanted so it's not a big deal I didn't get that one, maybe it's why I have had so many cars...making up for the one that got away....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
70c10-08

Well I have 2 that have eluded me the first one was for sale at a salvage yard about an hour west of me it was an all original red 67 small window long bed k/10 with a 327 and a 4 speed manual needed minimal work to her I passed it up tho for a 1970 C/10 which I thought was gonna be a better truck and so far the doors, front fenders, frame, and some misc. parts here and there are all that will be on the truck that were on it when she left Janesville, Wisconsin in December 1969 kinda wish I would've bought the 67 oh well.

The second one was a 1972 Cheyenne Super long bed that was owned by a local elderly man who bought it new and ran a tire shop still changing tires on some Kodiak C6500's at the age of 92 by himself and it was ochre and white with a 350/th350 combo with a/c and a Royal camper topper I believe and was for sale at his estate auction I believe I went up to $33 or 3400 I backed out on buying it as I couldn't go any higher and it was kind of a fixture of the main street of my town for years saw it a week later with the topper removed and somebody was loading her up with bricks and that's the last I saw of it.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:05 AM   #10
GR8-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
Bought, built, sold, lost and gone for about 7 years....searched for 2 years, found and bought back.

Corrected Brain Fart!
Love the two photos, haha she has grown a bit hasn't she Glad you found and got her back though

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #11
hewittca

My truck was originally one that got away the first time I saw it, but I got lucky with a second shot at it. I found it first on CL local to me for $2900. It was being sold by the widow of a Marine who recently passed after owning the truck for many years. It was in really good shape except it had been sitting for quite a while and didn't run, so I hesitated on the sale for a minute too long and it was snapped up by someone else.

Of course, once it was gone I wanted it even more and searched CL desperately for something in similar condition. Much to my surprise, about 4 months later it showed up again on CL about 3 hours from me. Someone had purchased it to flip, cleaned it up, got it running, and relisted it for $5500. Turns out all it needed was a new tank and a few other small tune up items. I knew without a doubt this guy was making a few bucks on me, but at this point I was already emotionally invested in this truck and I got out there as quick as I could to buy it.

It's since gone through a shortbed conversion and a few other mods, but this one is definitely a keeper.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
Wrenchbender Ret

Here is my sad story. I had this 70 step side for several years. I steady improved it right along. 350 Goodwrench engine, 700R-4 trans. Vintage air, power windows, plus many extra lights. It ran & handled like any new one out there. I was having health problems & gas was almost $4.00 gal. I went & sold it. I get a knot in my stomach every time I think about it.
George
Attached Images

Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

I've missed out on things, like that metal gas can I didn't buy at a garage sale last Saturday (little upset with myself but not very much ), I have sold one gun I kinda miss, I've missed out on guns I should have bought, and I blew it with literally a model that I had a chance to date but had a broken leg and couldn't go see her, but I haven't missed out on any trucks. There have been two panels I wish I could have bought but no place to store those and my truck was (and is) still in pieces.

My dad though, is a different story. He sold a straight 8 cylinder 1951 Pontiac he had (Inline 8 would be so cool now) and he really misses his 1951 Chevy sedan he sold. He also had a 1940 Ford coupe as his daily driver before he joined the Army and I wish he had kept that cute little 1974 Mercury Comet coupe. He was supposed to save that for me but didn't, storage space was limited. In his case though, except for the Comet, these were daily drivers and he didn't have a lot of money, they weren't "projects" like these trucks are for most of us.

So I haven't sold my truck even though it hasn't run in 12 years and I haven't let go of mom's 1975 Pontiac sedan. I know from dad's experience that once you sell these things you have to spend a whole lot to get back what you had. Even my 2002 Honda Accord I am holding on to, it's begun to show some body rust but I'm having that fixed.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
68bowtie

several years ago my brother (a mopar guy) came across this rust free dent free original 503 green swb in an elderly lady's front yard. he got the info for me. a/c cab, posi, a few other things. he starts talking to her about it. it was not for sale, but she threw out a price of $3,500. by the end of the conversation she was at $2,500. the truck was located a few hours away from me, and i had a trip planned to visit the area a month later. since it “wasn’t for sale” i waited until my trip. well guess what, when i made it up there the truck had been sold. lesson learned!!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  98.2 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
71threequarterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post

Corrected Brain Fart!
One of the coolest things I've seen here.

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
mrtoni

I saw a really clean 4x4 Chevy with a utility bed on it during Hot August Nites here in Reno. It was a fire dept truck with like 5000 miles for about 8000 bucks. I told my now exwife that it would be the best deal that we see and it was. It sold on eBay about a month later for $22000. Similarly, an exambulance 4x4 van I was dickering over $500 bucks. He got tired of me trying to negotiate and put it in eBay where it sole for $10000 over what he was asking.
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #17
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
It seems like you should be jumping on the Facebook Longhorn in the C/L finds thread. They look to be similar trucks plus the Facebook one is GREEN!!! Or maybe you are and you are just trying to throw everyone off the scent by talking about doors and mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Great idea Jocko😩😩
Now
Hurry up and get the one ApacheIvan just found
On the cl thread😀😀
Nope, not executing a head fake, my wife has one rule and one rule only in the truck department - no medium green. And she knows her paint chips. Pretty fair I'd say, she's quite tolerant of my sickness. Personally I love the color, but it's not worth a dee-vorce fortunately, she's good with the olives as then I'd have to choose...

If I were jumping on one, it would be the dark yellow one in Austin, but I've already got one in solid white with blue plaid, and don't have room for it either. Ha. So, am holding steady for the moment. (This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #18
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoni View Post
I saw a really clean 4x4 Chevy with a utility bed on it during Hot August Nites here in Reno. It was a fire dept truck with like 5000 miles for about 8000 bucks. I told my now exwife that it would be the best deal that we see and it was. It sold on eBay about a month later for $22000. Similarly, an exambulance 4x4 van I was dickering over $500 bucks. He got tired of me trying to negotiate and put it in eBay where it sole for $10000 over what he was asking.
I passed up a metal gas can Saturday at a garage sale because the guy wouldn't come down any. He wanted $20.00 which would be a steal these days, (had a vent too) but he had lost the cap that goes over the pour nozzle. I might could have made up something or found one but I let it pass. Should have grabbed it though. We get all rolled up over a few dollars when we need a friend to tell us "that's not enough to get upset over, buy it!"
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
71threequarterton

Man oh man did I want this orange 71. I even paid to have somebody go inspect it and write up a full report with tons of pictures and details since it was out of my state. In the end, I had to let it go because there were enough issues, considering what they were asking for it. I would have ended up having to take out a loan anyway and that would have just been dumb of me. I ended up with my 71 C20 for about 1/3rd of the price they were asking for this orange K10 and I paid cash for it - Done Deal! I always wondered if somebody on here would end up with it but I haven't seen any pictures of it... Don't get me wrong, I love the truck I got but I'd like to get a 4x4 one of these days.
Attached Images

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #20
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Nope,
Pretty fair I'd say, she's quite tolerant of my sickness.
So, am holding steady for the moment. (This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds)
I bet
This
Pertains
To the majority
Of
Us
Who hang out around here🤜🤛
Old 07-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #21
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Great ideafor a thread Mark... I can't say definitively about a truck although this one didn't get away, I regretfully sold it after buying it very reasonably from EBay. 1969 Black CST with 3OTT with Overdrive, A/C and the one year only gorgeous dark maroon interior.

Now the all time one that got away from me , my stupidity of course, was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner Factory yellow Convertible ( 2200 Road Runner convertibles produced that year) with black bucket seats/console, 383 and 4 sped manual with ( the Mopar guys with get this one ) 2 Fender Tags of options. That was in 1989 and let it go cause I had my head up my a** and after getting the seller down 2000 from his asking price I let it go cause he wouldn't come down another 500.00 About 2 weeks after the initial meet I came to my senses and called the guy back and was going to take it but, well of course it was sold.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #22
el_fantasma

This was my neighbor's truck that sat outside for months. I thought I could buy it from him real cheap but he wanted about twice what I was willing to pay. It looks pretty nice in the picture but needed a lot of work. I'm happy with what I have but always wonder what might have been. I don't see it anymore so I guess he sold it.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #23
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Great ideafor a thread Mark... I can't say definitively about a truck although this one didn't get away, I regretfully sold it after buying it very reasonably from EBay. 1969 Black CST with 3OTT with Overdrive, A/C and the one year only gorgeous dark maroon interior.

Now the all time one that got away from me , my stupidity of course, was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner Factory yellow Convertible ( 2200 Road Runner convertibles produced that year) with black bucket seats/console, 383 and 4 sped manual with ( the Mopar guys with get this one ) 2 Fender Tags of options. That was in 1989 and let it go cause I had my head up my a** and after getting the seller down 2000 from his asking price I let it go cause he wouldn't come down another 500.00 About 2 weeks after the initial meet I came to my senses and called the guy back and was going to take it but, well of course it was sold.
I distinctly remember that one Greg, I agree, that was a keeper Have always loved that exterior/interior combo.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #24
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Time for a bump

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

My biggest regret is this car.

67 Coupe
C-code 289
Cruise o magic auto trans
Power brakes
Power steering
Exterior decor group
Vinyl roof
L H remote side mirror
R H side mirror
Tilt/tilt away steering column
AM push button
Center console
Select air conditioning
Tinted windows
Deluxe Interior
Styled steel wheels.

I would buy this car back if it ever shows up again.
Attached Images

Last edited by cypressbog; 02-07-2018 at 04:00 PM.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote