The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
applebmw

Evans waterless coolant, in BBC ??

Anyone run this stuff? Local motor head suggested it in my 496 BBC, need some opinions before spending $325 Thanks in Advance
applebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Jrainman

Re: Evans waterless coolant, in BBC ??

I have not used this product , but I am a Avid BMW guy and a lot of threads have taken place about Evans waterless coolant on some of the BMW forums . you might want to Google NO-Rosins Test results . and take a look at there report and findings on the subject of Evans waterless coolant study they did.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
weq92f

I haven't used it either, but... A quick glance online reveals the stuff is 50 bucks a gallon. My quick bad-math fills my BBC block and radiator up for less than 325 bucks though!

Am I missing something? Are the flushing agents/testing equipment absolutely required?

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
jocko

I'd say that, if you're gonna do it, then the flushing and etc is required. Personally, I think I'd probably only use this stuff if I had a brand new motor and radiator, etc. Otherwise, anti-freeze has worked just fine for, oh, a century. I have to admit, I am interested in this stuff, sounds pretty good, but there is a price. And this is a crazy price.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
diggerbob

I was curious to see what is in this product so I googled the Material Safety Data Sheet. This product is 80-85% ethylene glycol. http://www.hrpworld.com/store/media/...%20-%20SDS.pdf
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
B. W.

FWIW, ethylene glycol is standard green antifreeze.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
sprint_9

Ive thought about running it in mine but haven't decided yet. My entire setup is new so I have the benefit of not having to flush.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #8
franken

My first thought is why? Too much money in the bank and need to waste some?
Why not use antifreeze and no water? I seem to recall it'll run a bit warmer, but WTH, at $10 a gallon not much downside to trying. Or run 50/50 and change it every few years as recommended.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
jocko

I think the most important tip when it comes to coolant, if you mix your own, is to use distilled water. That's an old wives' tale I actually believe. I don't believe many folks used to do that (I didn't). But then again, we didn't buy every sip of water we drank in a plastic bottle back then either, ha. By today's standards, the water I drank from the tap and the garden hose as a kid, just a few miles from the steel mill, shoulda killed me decades ago I'm a medical miracle.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #10
tmontg01

Running it in my new 400SBC and haven't had any issues.
tmontg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
applebmw

Thanks guys, Its new motor but I put water in to get running is why it be pricey, the flush is high also.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

Why bother ? If you have a leak or hose failure you can only use more ,You can't add water ever and if you do they suggest you drain and repeat fill process . WHY waste your $ ?

The effect of Evans waterless coolant on cooling system temperatures will depend on the engine and cooling system configuration, as well as driving conditions. Vehicles running under normal operating conditions should show either no change or a slight increase in temperature. In high horsepower applications, the temperature effect of running Evans waterless coolant will depend on the engine and cooling system components.

( With Evans waterless coolant, operating temperatures may be modestly higher than those of water-based coolant ), depending on driving conditions and whether the vehicle is stock or configured as high-performance. When the engine is stressed, the coolant absorbs more heat and temperatures rise. This is not a concern when using Evans waterless coolant. The combination of the high boiling point of Evans waterless coolant and a correctly-sized cooling system means that an increase in temperature can be accommodated without cooling system failure.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I think the most important tip when it comes to coolant, if you mix your own, is to use distilled water. That's an old wives' tale I actually believe. I don't believe many folks used to do that (I didn't). But then again, we didn't buy every sip of water we drank in a plastic bottle back then either, ha. By today's standards, the water I drank from the tap and the garden hose as a kid, just a few miles from the steel mill, shoulda killed me decades ago I'm a medical miracle.
Nah, with all that iron in your bones you're half machine, now.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Using distilled water by today standards are a no no . studies reveal that the destilled water removes everything in the water including iron , and what happens is distilled water wants to recover the iron content and this is what leads to extra wear on your coolant systems metal parts, reports say RO water is a much safer choice , the bottom line is dependeng on your own water sorce that you use , be tested for minerals that are high in concentrations that are harmful to cooling systems such as calcium. I would not use the waterless coolant basied on what I read in the BMW forums some of the guys there report a higher running tempeture vs standard antifreeze. but again BMW cooling systems are much mor safisticated then a stand GM V8 engine and being so they are much more prone to problems,just to bleed these systems take time and a lot of patience.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
applebmw

Thanks everyone, I am sticking with antifreeze 50/50
Old 06-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
weq92f

I use distilled water and BMW coolant 50/50 in my DD BMW as that is what is called for in the manual. Was not aware of the science quoted in this thread regarding distilled water however!

My BMW cooling system is actually easy to bleed. It's got an electric pump that lives at the very bottom point of the system ( lowest point ). The thermostat lives down there right next to the water pump.

Once it's all topped up, the pump has a mode that it will go into in order to pulse out all the air. Takes about 12 minutes for the pump to complete the bleeding function.

This starts the pump on the bleed procedure: ( place key fob in dash, push start button to wake up car but not start, put heat temp to MAX, fan on low, push gas pedal to floor for 10 seconds )

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #17
Grumpy old man

We used to use distilled water to add to the BATTERY in the days before maintenance free batteries came along .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #18
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I use distilled water and BMW coolant 50/50 in my DD BMW as that is what is called for in the manual. Was not aware of the science quoted in this thread regarding distilled water however!

My BMW cooling system is actually easy to bleed. It's got an electric pump that lives at the very bottom point of the system ( lowest point ). The thermostat lives down there right next to the water pump.

Once it's all topped up, the pump has a mode that it will go into in order to pulse out all the air. Takes about 12 minutes for the pump to complete the bleeding function.

This starts the pump on the bleed procedure: ( place key fob in dash, push start button to wake up car but not start, put heat temp to MAX, fan on low, push gas pedal to floor for 10 seconds )

-klb
I was not looking to derail this thread ,I was just answering the OP about waterless coolant being pushed in the EURO aftermarket part distibutors for sometime now and how a lot of Bimmer guys bought in to it with no real results or even temp rise . and yes I have a X5 with a electric driven water pump so I know the procedure, but my M3 and sons e46 has a mechanical pump BMW did not start with electric pumps till around 06 Just a FYI
Old 06-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Using distilled water by today standards are a no no . studies reveal that the destilled water removes everything in the water including iron , and what happens is distilled water wants to recover the iron content and this is what leads to extra wear on your coolant systems metal parts, reports say RO water is a much safer choice , the bottom line is dependeng on your own water sorce that you use , be tested for minerals that are high in concentrations that are harmful to cooling systems such as calcium. I would not use the waterless coolant basied on what I read in the BMW forums some of the guys there report a higher running tempeture vs standard antifreeze. but again BMW cooling systems are much mor safisticated then a stand GM V8 engine and being so they are much more prone to problems,just to bleed these systems take time and a lot of patience.
Could you point me too one or more studies? I've always been interested in chemistry.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #20
toolboxchev

I think its alcohol based.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:59 AM   #21
BCOWANWHEELS

70/30 antifreeze is impossible to beat
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #22
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Could you point me too one or more studies? I've always been interested in chemistry.
I did this in my first post On this product waterless coolant (NO-ROSIN TEST RESULTS )

let me say fisrt I have a backround in water treatment.,what I am trying to convay in my statement about distilled water is that water is a great conductivity for all things , thats why its such a good canidate for heat transfer and used in cooling systems , but it also conducts minerals ,by it own nature as it travels through the ground it conducts the minerals in that specific region the water flows through ,if you live in a region that contains a lot of sulfer the waters sulfer will have a higher PPM (parts per Millon) count then another region of land mass , When you start out with distilled processed water you have a blank canvis for the water as it travels through it will have a great conductivity level for the enviorment in witch it is placed.we are not talking drinking water here but you want to try to have a water that is tailord to live within in a system it was desighned for , so depending where you live depends on how well the water will adapt for your cooling system.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

OK, I dug around a little on my own and did learn that distilled water can be bad for the cooling system because it will leach material from the cooling system until it comes to equilibrium. But using antifreeze with a reserve alkalinity helps, as does using a water pump lubricant. Water pump lubricant is a water soluble oil. It coats the interior of the cooling system with a thin film which does not inhibit heat transfer but stops the leaching of metal by the distilled water.

Simi Valley, CA