The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
JoeKan

Another question on gas tank

Hello all,
Last year I was going to replace my gas tank on my 72 burb, but then decided to keep it all original and have the existing tank to be re-lined.
Here's the situation. I have 2 gas tanks. One tank, I am assuming is a reserve tank because it is smaller and I have a valve in the cab which leads me to believe it the switch from one tank to the other.
I was talking to the guy who is going to re-line my tanks and he said he has never heard of a 72 burb with 2 tanks on it before. This leads me to believe that maybe that 2nd tank has been an add-on.
Can you all chime in and let me know if you have 1 or 2 tanks on your burbs please? I've seen the picts of some of yours and there is only one tank.
Thanks so much for your input.
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
WayneE

Re: Another question on gas tank

Just one tank on my 72.

Are you keeping your truck?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneE View Post
Just one tank on my 72.

Are you keeping your truck?
Thanks Wayne. How many gallons is it?

I sure don't want to sell her. In fact, there's a guy up by you in Baltimore that is looking at it.
The reason it is for sale is that we have 4k in medical for my son (15yr old). Thankfully, it doesn't have to do with his health, but his eyes are not focusing and he's going to have to "re-learn" how to focus.
Anyway, selling ol' blue would have been one way of paying it all off. But since she's been on the market, we've gotten a loan to pay off his medical. The loan payments are do-able but I hate being in debt.
This is the 2nd time I've had to put her up for sale. The 1st time was job related, but I got a 2nd job so I took her off (My primary work is that I'm a pastor).
I'm beginning to think the Lord is wanting me to keep this burb because He keeps working things out. Maybe I should just trust Him more instead of always running ahead of Him. (practice what I preach
Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
JoeKan

??
Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

My burb had 2 stock tanks for most of it's life, up until I took out the most forward one and replaced the other with a new OEM burb tank. I am pretty sure it was a dealer installed set up, since my Dad wasn't that handy in taking on such a modification back in the day when the burb was the family DD.

Mine had a Y pipe at the filler, so there was only one fill cap.

There was a valve under the driver side seat, that you would turn to pull fuel from one or the tanks. Then there was a toggle switch on the dash, so that you could see the fuel level in one or the other tanks.

There was also an electric fuel pump mid section of the burb, and the mechanical fuel pump was still in use as well.

The system did it's job for many years, and being that the burb was used for long range diving vacations it was a valuable option.

I put everything back to just 1 tank just to simplify everything during my restoration.

Last edited by vectorit; 03-26-2011 at 11:55 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
JoeKan

Thanks Vectorit. I hoping to get started on mine sometime this week if the weather warms up.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

I've got one tank - 50 gallons. It was dealer installed at the time of original purchase. Two tanks, while probably not original, seem pretty common - and almost necessary when faced with the stock 21 gallon tank.

eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
dougo

Mine came with one tank. It now has a larger tank. Hope all is well for your son. If you can swing the payments... you certainly cannot go wrong keeping the burb. That's like having money in the bank.... and an asset that will only increase in value. What church are you affiliated with? I'll send you some books for your ministry - PM me your mailing address if you are interested (I work in publishing).
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebuzz View Post
I've got one tank - 50 gallons. It was dealer installed at the time of original purchase. Two tanks, while probably not original, seem pretty common - and almost necessary when faced with the stock 21 gallon tank.

Thanks eyebuzz. I appreciate the pictures too! I looked at mine real close yesterday and I'm pretty certain that the main tank is a replacement. It looks to be around 20 gallons and the "reserve" tank as an add on. I may search around and try to find a stock 50 gallon one like yours.
Thanks again for your input,
Joe
Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougo View Post
Mine came with one tank. It now has a larger tank. Hope all is well for your son. If you can swing the payments... you certainly cannot go wrong keeping the burb. That's like having money in the bank.... and an asset that will only increase in value. What church are you affiliated with? I'll send you some books for your ministry - PM me your mailing address if you are interested (I work in publishing).
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks dougo for the input and for the encouraging words. I agree with how these burbs are increasing in value. I'll PM about our church--thanks!
Joe
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Hi Joe,

I have seen other images of the set up like mine - I don't think there is a new option for this though. Seem to be that the trailer hitch structure holds the tank in place which does offer some protection - although I do worry about having a fuel tank about a 9" off my back bumper - but the driving range is nice.

Vectorit - I didn't realize that your truck was your dad's - that is really cool.

Tim
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
JimmyFloyd

Here's some pictures of the stock 21 gallon tank that was under my 70 suburban. It had a second tank under the rear seat.

And you can see the black secondary tank here, not original though I don't believe. the middle seat bolted to it

Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebuzz View Post
Vectorit - I didn't realize that your truck was your dad's - that is really cool.

Tim
Yep, I grew up with my burb.

Last edited by vectorit; 03-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote