The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: How many of us would look at a "BIG TRUCK" Forum
I have one of these and would post/look ALL THE TIME! 142 28.92%
I don't own one but I would definitely look at a forum for something to drool over 323 65.78%
I don't care, probably wouldn't ever even take a peek. 26 5.30%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #126
Bigasstrux

Re: "BIG" truck forum C/40, C/50, C/60 and the like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
This is exactly what this thread needed...some Big Truck Pros!!

Continue on gentlemen...subscribed.
I see you are in Burien, Wa., I sold the red 1987 GMC that is my avatar photo to a longshoreman in Burien last May.
Bigasstrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #127
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigasstrux View Post
Hmmmmm.."Dumb and worthless" are my creations? Thanks a lot for your kind comments, I think I'm on the wrong forum! I see lots of crazy stuff on here, but everybody likes different stuff, I would NEVER disrespect other people's work.
Hey,sorry if that hurt your feelings and I`d like to offer my apology.That`s just my opinion,just as you have your`s.I disagree and can leave it at that.I love looking at them.But,I`ve driven them and will say I`d rather spend the day in a one ton that has no problem hauling street rods,boats,race cars,campers...They do have a limit use with cool factor.For my purposes I have to be more practical,that`s all.Heck,I even prefer a utility bed on my 3/4t-1t trucks because they are more functional than a pickup bed (for my uses).I feel the same about the new ones provided by the factories.I see them as decadence and for the fortunate few.Especially a 4wd.They are too high to 5th wheel and worthless off road.That`s "my" opinion.You don`t have to put a pickup bed on a medium duty for me to like it.

I also think one tons running medium-heavy duty wheels are dumb.So,we agree on something there,right?I just love trucks and have for years.I`ve never used them as an extension of my ego,to feel tougher,bigger,badder,or any of that.I just love a tough truck and trucks have always been an essential part of my life.I only say all this so folks know where I`m coming from,not compare myself to or put anyone down.If anyone reads my posts around the sight over the few years I`ve been here it should be obvious I just love trucks and can allow others to do what they do without it threatening what I do.But,I do have my opinions that effect what "I" do.

I don`t want to have a debate in this poll thread that I`d like to see result in a medium duty truck forum.I just felt after I made a comment that offended enough to bring out a post here that I should apologize and explain myself.I hope I accomplished that and hope we can carry on with the topic at hand.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-04-2010 at 07:05 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #128
Bigasstrux

Thanks for your reply. sometimes I feel like I have to defend my creations, but I realize that not everybody likes or wants one of these things. For a lot of my buyers they are just big toys, something to cruise around and have fun in. I make my living building these things, so I build what sells the best. Some of them aren't very practical.....but it all depends on what a person wants to do with such a truck, (long as they pay cash, they can do whatever they want with them). It's not like I drive one as my everyday driver!
I think having a Medium Duty Forum is a great idea, I have been doing this work for several years and have never found much of anything on the net that focuses on that specific type truck.
Thanks again for your reply.
Bigasstrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #129
harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Oh yeah, you guys that DO own one of these bad mamma-jammas, please post some pics for the heck of it.
this one is for sale in New Zealand and its running a 427 BB.Kinda cool dont you think
Attached Images

harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #130
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

this was for sale on ebay a few years back, had spent its life as a yard truck, had a 409, top speed 45mph!!, sold for around 2600, cheap for what it was/had, would have been a hell of a drive from jersey to montana at 45mph though....
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #131
watahyahknow

guess the first thing to do is put a gearvendor in there ..... i seen pics once of a gut who put two th350 in series to do the same thing as a gearvendor the second th350 was concverted to a manual and was connected with a special adpter and without a converter to the tail end of the first (i can immagine there would be some delay in driving of though as the seccond autobox need to build up oilpressure to get the band to hook up , in a truck like this there should be plenty of room to do sumtin like that

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #132
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
I see you are in Burien, Wa., I sold the red 1987 GMC that is my avatar photo to a longshoreman in Burien last May.
Thanks for posting that...I'll keep my eye out for him and scope out your creation closer if I spot him.

It seems that tricking out the big guys has become a bit more common in this area.
Around here, there's still zillions in commercial service; all the way from the local dairies and tow trucks
to delivery drivers and scrap haulers.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #133
Prerunner1982

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. sometimes I feel like I have to defend my creations, but I realize that not everybody likes or wants one of these things. For a lot of my buyers they are just big toys, something to cruise around and have fun in. I make my living building these things, so I build what sells the best. Some of them aren't very practical.....but it all depends on what a person wants to do with such a truck, (long as they pay cash, they can do whatever they want with them). It's not like I drive one as my everyday driver!
I think having a Medium Duty Forum is a great idea, I have been doing this work for several years and have never found much of anything on the net that focuses on that specific type truck.
Thanks again for your reply.
I like them... and the way I see it if there weren't a market for them then International wouldn't have built the CXT. I certainly like these better though.. any 4x4 versions out there?
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #134
familyguy

What engine and transmission types can be installed in a 1970 C50?

I am looking at picking up a dump truck that has a straight 6 in it but would like to convert to a v8 and tranny that has a nice balance of torque and highway speed.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #135
special-K
Special Order

About any engine will run these trucks. The transmission needs to be tough enough for the weight. And,it's the rear end gearing that determines the hiway speed as well as torque. 1:1 is 1:1,it's what ratios get you there that matter. I'd suggest an engine with good torque characteristics. Finding a "made for trucks" engine would be perfect,like a 366-427 BBC. These have longer stroke than the "made for cars" BBCs. I have heard tales of car 396s going into MD trucks and not lasting long at all. Low gears mean higher revs at hiway speed and getting going takes torque. You want a longer stroke. I imagine for a SBC a 383 would do good. I'd prefer some sort of diesel in a MD.
Transmissions that come in these trucks are best. The Clark 5spd is tried and true. That's 5 gears to 1:1,no overdrive. Overdrive transmissions are usually HD truck items and a whole lot bigger. MD trucks used 2spd rears to help give good low speed power and better hiway speeds,kinda like what a Gear Vendors unit does for lighter vehicles.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #136
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

I believe the 366 and 427 are short stroke engines and will run at higher rpms versus the 454 which has the longer stroke. The short stroke will run at higher rpms but the 454 has more low end torque. Not sure on the 396. I have one just haven't looked up the specs.
Tire size also has key factor in final engine rpm at highway speeds. Find a good performance calculator and you can figure final engine rpm based off of the tire size, trans and rear gear ratio. Then build an engine accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #137
special-K
Special Order

I have a friend with a '59 REO that he installed a Cat 3208 in. The truck came with a V8 gas motor with a bit less torque and a bit less HP. The gearing was very deep,like between 5:1 and 6:1. He put in a rear with something like 3.54:1,which I didn't realize was even used in bigger trucks. He went from something like 6-7 mpg to 12.5 mpg and picked up something like 15 mph top end.

Tim

Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #138
C10 - C90 Bill

It looks like I missed this thread somehow. I sure would like to see a Big Truck forum.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #139
special-K
Special Order

It would seem a forum for trucks from 40-80/4500-9500 across all years would get some action. It would draw in yet another group through Google searches.It seems any time I Google any specific GM truck model there's usually at least one listing on the first page,especially looking for photos. Another thought would be all GM comercial vehicles yet to be acknowledged here,like StepVans,Vans,El Caminos,Sedan Deliveries...

Tim

Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #140
C10 - C90 Bill

I'm wondering if it was posted in a different place that it may get more exposure. It's been here for a while and I just noticed it the other day. At another site I'm a member of we have a Big Truck section and it stays pretty busy. At another site it is all Big Trucks, but all brands are covered. Chevy and GMC included and I have been able to gain a lot more knowledge from them through the years, besides tons of pictures.

Bill
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #141
special-K
Special Order

Just keep starting threads on big trucks in whatever year they belong. The more action,the stronger chance of seeing a forum started. Just think of different topics for separate threads,questions,facts,pictures...whatever,and keep them going. Maybe the ones who don't care for the bigger trucks will be our greatest support. If they complain about seeing all these big truck threads,what can be done? As it is now they belong in their proper age group. If they are cluttering that board then they need their own place for those who do enjoy them. The truck message boards move threads right along and there's always been changes made to help spread things out more to keep topics balanced across the board and give threads a chance to get viewed awhile.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #142
chevytrucking

I'm looking for a picture of a 47-54 Chevy 1.5 ton conventional cab truck that has had the pickup conversion done. I'm on the lookout for a good 67-72 C50 truck too, but I've already got a good '51. I asked the "Big Ass Trucks" guy the other day if he'd seen one, any of you guys seen a 47-54 shortened with a pickup bed on it?
chevytrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #143
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Only picture I could find- I thought I had another.....
Name:  IMG_2987.jpg
Views: 4465
Size:  48.9 KB Saw this one at Northwest Motorfest In Boise Idaho this summer
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #144
watahyahknow

that looks weird , i think they kept the bed too short or need to raise the bedsides with sumting to make it look right

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #145
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

I agree. The bedsides should be taller .
I think somebody does make a taller bedside replacement .
Around 1 1/2" taller if I remember, but that may still not be enough with that tall COE cab.
Stake sides would add some height to the visual effect.

But I still kinda like it, it is something different
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #146
special-K
Special Order

I don't have any pictures,but I have seen such trucks before. I remember one I saw at the '09 Antique Truck Club of American national meet in Macungie,PA. I didn't get pictures cuz it was raining like mad. It was Woodland Green and sitting on a custom made frame,had Isuzu axles (4 wheel discs),6BT Cummins,and O/D trans. It was done to look like the factory could have built it. The bed was custom made using factory fenders and rear bumper. It even had the splash pan from up front. The guy drove it there from Ohio.
An Advance Design guy not far from me built a white one that was very nice,too. He's the NHRA safety guy around here and he's had it at some shows. His bed is custom and very nice,too. He used pipe to form the edges. It was really clean.

Tim

Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #147
watahyahknow

i wonder how it would look if the cut the rearwhall off behind the doors and move it back behind the rearwheels fill in the roof make extra doors and build it like a blazer or suburban or sumtin , dont think they done that before

Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #148
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
I'm wondering if it was posted in a different place that it may get more exposure. It's been here for a while and I just noticed it the other day....
When I started it, I put it in the main 67-72 truck forum for exposure purposes. After a few days though it got moved here. Not a big deal, that's the way the site works, if it isn't in the right place it gets moved to the right place. Just keep posting and continue drawing attention.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #149
chevytrucking

Yeah, I've found a bunch of pics of COE trucks, but I'm trying to imagine a convential truck. Like the ones that were more common, grain trucks, stake beds, etc.
chevytrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #150
C10 - C90 Bill

Going a little off subject, I used to drive a '62 GMC 6500 (Similar to a C-80) back in the early and mid '70's. It had a 478 V-6, 5-Speed Trans, 2-Speed Rear, Air Brakes, 10-20 Tires on Spoke Wheels and a GVW of 32,000. They are pretty rare and to this day, I've never seen another one anywhere on the road. The only pictures I have seen are some factory brochure photos.

I've seen plenty of 5000's and saw at least one GMC B-Model 7500 in a junk yard, but never another 6500. Wondering if anyone out there has ever seen or driven one. I've heard there were some out in CA back in the day.

Bill