The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
VTKidder

Upper and lower side trim

Is it possible to install the upper and lower side trim on these trucks without drilling holes and using the clips and what not? I'd like to have the trim on my truck, but am a little scared of drilling the entire truck up to do it. A lot of new trim goes on with some kind of 3M double sided trim tape. I know the trim does not sit flat against the body, as it needs to have the clips slid in the back, then pushed through the body and bolted, but has anyone looked into, or heard of installing this trim with just tape? Thanks all....
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
smokekiki
Mike

Check with the suppliers and body supply shops.There are clips availible that go in the back like stock that are stick-on.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

On the 72's they had pretty much gone that route from the factory. Exceopt for the front cap most of the trim on a 72 has the stick on stuff with a real clip or screw on each end. When I pulled mine off, the end screws was pretty much the only thing left holding it on. Put the new trim back on the same way
Old 09-02-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
7T1BURB

Trim pieces...

are now being installed on the BURB. Upper (narrow) trim has clips that snap into factory predrilled hole. The BOTTOM, however, is a different story. With this "wide" lower trim (as stated above) the front and rear of each lower trim piece has a spring clip and stud (these clips are readily available from various suppliers). In betweeen these clips there are plastic clips (about 1" wide) installed about every 7-8" depending upon the lenght of the trim piece. I had removed these pieces long ago and saved them for re-installing. I removed the old 32 year old stick-um and cleaned each one thoroughly with wax/greas remover and alcohol. I reinstalled these clips and then on each clip I then installed 3M Scotch-Mount (double coated acrylic foam tape / .045 in thick / Part Number is 051131 and this particular tape (.045) # is 06383). Lined up the front and rear studs on the trim piece first; test-fitted them on the door for alignment; removed the protective outside red tape from the scoth-mount and then installed the piece (working on the passenger door) and thats it. I suspect that if I tried to remove the trim piece now, the paint would come off with it...it really sticks!! BTW: the trim pieces do not sit precisely flat on the painted surface due to stick-um thickness and I can live with that...hope this helps in some way...Jack
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote