The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
hotwls13

Rattle can or Rustoleum Gallon or SIngle Stage?

Pretty sure I already know the answers. Most paint guys will say stay away from rattle can or rustoleum because it will be so much work later on to remove AND the paint won't last. I get it.

Here is my particular situation:

1. I just purchased a 70 GMC 1/2T LWB for $2500. It runs/drives/stops but had a few issues to get it roadworthy.

Body wise....
Cab is a little rough with some drip rail issues, some surface rust, bunch of previous bodywork, some dents as well as a few trim and mirror holes. Rockers and corners are good (rockers were previously replaced).

Bed is really rough. Bed floor was previously "fixed" by previous owner welding a half bed floor section directly over the bad half of the bed (bad bed section is still below). He even welded the floor panel OVER the bed bolt heads. Bed sides are rough with previous signs of bodywork/filler. Both bed ends (by taillights) have been repaired with filler that is cracking (obvious previous accidents). Tailgate is OK. I plan to replace this bed completely within the next Year, just don't have the means/space right now to deal with another bed. Bed is currently off the truck (completing a rear tank swap). I plan to air-bomb the front of the bed and the back of the cab while they are separated to get a somewhat matching color that will be in-between when bed is mounted.

My preference for this truck is for it to be a 20-30 footer. A hey that thing looks cool, but when you get close you say "who the heck painted this thing"? Haha I'm not expecting much from the paint other than a color change and a "cleaner" look. I prefer the matte or satin finishes but I have heard they show bad bodywork more. Truck is currently white. Plan to do a 2-tone WHite cab top, blue/green body/hood/bed, then white on bottom (below the 67 bottom trim line).

So, my plan is to cleanup any rust with DA sander. The drip rail problem isn't through the roof but has caused a little seaparation at the lip. I plan to cleanup the rust and use seam sealer (silver stuff that is brushable, can't remember the brand) for the repair. Get the body somewhat straight, prime where it was rusty or otherwise got down to metal, scuff the rest and paint.

I've done a bunch of air bomb on parts and frames in the past. I also helped my dad air bomb his 74 chevy stepside about 6 years ago in a carport (it was an ugly purple and he went satin black). Huge improvement but came out about as expected.

I do have a 60 gallon Home Depot Compressor 10.2 scfm @90psi, hoses, a mask, Harbor freight $10 hvlp air gun. I also have the space to build a plastic makeshift booth on the side of house on cement slab. SO I have pretty much everything I would need to gun spray instead of rattle can. I've never done the mixing of paint though, never even used the spray gun.

So, to sum it up...

1. Bed will be replaced within the next Year (sooner rather than later) but I want this thing painted while I look for a better bed.

2. 20-30 footer

3. Cost, cheaper is better, but easier is nice too

4. I'm in California so I know some of the paints are gonna be NO BUENO.
Attached Images

hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Rattle can or Rustoleum Gallon or SIngle Stage?

Rustoleum has a very good semi gloss waterborne industrial paint that cleans up with water and is very durable! It's called Sierra Metalmax. you can brush or spray it and does both very well! Semi gloss will show LESS imperfections...not more. The shinier and darker the color, the more imperfections you will see. Gloss Black shows the most imperfections while semi gloss white will hide most imperfections.

Until recently, I was technical sales rep for Rustoleum products and my professional career has been mostly in the collsion supplies industry selling several different paint brands. Normally I would reccomend a 2 part urethane paint that requires a spray booth and the proper equipment INCLUDING safety equipment but in your case, wanting a "30 footer" I'd strongly reccomend the Sierra Metalmax.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...crylic-enamel/

Get some of the Sierra primer too. Excellent stuff!!
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...acrylic-primer

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Rustoleum has a very good semi gloss waterborne industrial paint that cleans up with water and is very durable! It's called Sierra Metalmax. you can brush or spray it and does both very well! Semi gloss will show LESS imperfections...not more. The shinier and darker the color, the more imperfections you will see. Gloss Black shows the most imperfections while semi gloss white will hide most imperfections.

Until recently, I was technical sales rep for Rustoleum products and my professional career has been mostly in the collsion supplies industry selling several different paint brands. Normally I would reccomend a 2 part urethane paint that requires a spray booth and the proper equipment INCLUDING safety equipment but in your case, wanting a "30 footer" I'd strongly reccomend the Sierra Metalmax.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...crylic-enamel/

Get some of the Sierra primer too. Excellent stuff!!
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...acrylic-primer

Thanks for that info. I thought I’ve read that the satin paint jobs show more bodywork imperfections and that you can’t just buff them out to fix issues. In that regard, people were recommending a gloss finish that can be worked after spraying/drying to fix some of the issues (orange peel, bugs etc). I would prefer a satin finish though.

As for the paint you recommended, looks like the white would work, but I’m looking for a sea foam type green or a mint green as the main color.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
slowcpe

Coming from a guy that just rattle canned most of his truck I'd get some single-stage and paint it through a gun. Its cheaper (if you go with factory color) and lays better.

I got the factory color in a spray can and its good at painting small areas but the door was hard to get good coverage and takes about 3 cans. But I was going for quick and easy. I still may redo it later on.

Here's the door I painted. Its a little brighter but I plan to take 0000 steel wool and hope it blends. I'm going for a 30-50' driver as well.

The roof is painted with Dupli-color Perfect Match you find at AutoZone.

1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Coming from a guy that just rattle canned most of his truck I'd get some single-stage and paint it through a gun. Its cheaper (if you go with factory color) and lays better.

I got the factory color in a spray can and its good at painting small areas but the door was hard to get good coverage and takes about 3 cans. But I was going for quick and easy. I still may redo it later on.

Here's the door I painted. Its a little brighter but I plan to take 0000 steel wool and hope it blends. I'm going for a 30-50' driver as well.

The roof is painted with Dupli-color Perfect Match you find at AutoZone.

I’ll look at those. Not going original or factory colors at all. As for cost, really rattle cans wouldn’t be more than $50-60 to paint he whole thing (I think).
Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
slowcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
I’ll look at those. Not going original or factory colors at all. As for cost, really rattle cans wouldn’t be more than $50-60 to paint he whole thing (I think).
That may be so. Factory paint is $25-30/can. I think a quart (don't remember but enough to paint the door and hood) as going to be $60 for factory color. I'm either going to find a nice patina medium olive green hood or paint it with a gun.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

unless your buying cheap rattle paint at walmart you'll have a lot more in it than $50-60 if your painting the whole truck.....if your gonna rattle it I would be looking at the better quality paint...the cheapo stuff will fade purty quick.....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
bs46488

I'm in California also, so understand what you are saying about getting certain paints. Check out TCP Global for colors/packages.

There are a few places that will still ship paint to us. I would recommend spraying from a gun, not a rattle can.

I also would pass along the age old advice....you get what you pay for.

I am a beginner and just finished painting my truck with entry level paint. It was cheap and covers like crap. Now that I'm done I really wish I spent a few more dollars to get a better product.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Foot Stomper

That Sierra paint can be tinted to several different colors. The web page I shared shows prepackaged colors but the store can make hundreds of colors.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
hotwls13

Quote:
That Sierra paint can be tinted to several different colors. The web page I shared shows prepackaged colors but the store can make hundreds of colors.
I didn't see the "Find in Store" option til you mentioned this. I'll have to see if my Lowes/Homedepot/ace has it on the shelf.

Can they adjust the finish as well?? Make it Satin?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
hotwls13

Don't know who's truck this is or where I found it, but this is very similar to the color scheme I want. I'd like mine to be Satin though.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
arider278j

try tcp I just bought paint from them. I am in c.a. also
arider278j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Backpayne

I used Rustoleum satin white, thinned it per instructions and added a little hardener, and really like how it turned out. It sprayed really well, too.
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpayne View Post
I used Rustoleum satin white, thinned it per instructions and added a little hardener, and really like how it turned out. It sprayed really well, too.
Sprayed my gas filler box (ammo can) with rattle can rustoleum satin white a couple nights ago. Came out pretty good.

Plan to put some colors on the front of the bed (in-between cab/bed). That way we can see what the colors look like in daylight etc. Bought like 6 rattle can colors (just using for color reference for now).
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
hotwls13

Put some sample colors on the front of the bed. Once I decide whatever color I'm going with, I'm gonna spray it and the back of the cab. It will be Rustoleum or Krylon (depending on the color I choose). It won't matter as it will be between cab/bed and wont be seen. Just want something close to final color. I also sprayed the frame and tank with some rattle can black. Again, this is just something better than the rusty bare metal of the previous under carriage.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
hotwls13

Got the front of the bed painted. Turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #17
blazer2007

did you use a primer too ?
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #18
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
did you use a primer too ?
The paint is a Paint+Primer. I just scuffed the existing white paint on truck with a red scotchbrite pad. Wiped down the surface with a towel, then sprayed the paint (no additional primer). Had it been down to metal I would have used a primer first.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #19
azbagger2

This is very timely. I'm at the same point with my '66 C10 stepside. The color is baby poop brown with a semi white top and black primer hood. The body is in overall good condition with only rust issues at the bottom of each front fender. My truck is an old army truck. My thought process is to sand the truck, fix the rust issues and then spray it with the same flat tan color you see on the army equipment over in the middle east. I talked to a local guy here in Tucson who owns surplus equipment yard(s). He said to look up Rapcoparts.com I did and found the sell paint that is the same as what the govt uses to paint all the HumVees, trucks, tanks etc. The cost seems OK, but the shipping and hazmat fees do add up. I think that is the direction I'm going to go. Comments?

azbagger2
azbagger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
hotwls13

Getting some bondo on. First time at bodywork. It will be better than I found it but I’m sure not perfect.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #21
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
Getting some bondo on. First time at bodywork. It will be better than I found it but I’m sure not perfect.
Is that lacquer putty? It's red... show us the product picture?

Old 05-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #22
hotwls13

It’s bondo. Standard $15 can from walmart.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #23
Foot Stomper

Shouldn't be that red... be sure not to put too much hardener in it. The bondo is not red in gallon cam is it?

I would suggest not using the fiberglass bondo-glass filler unless you are working on a Cameo or a boat. It's not reccomended for filling rust holes in steel as it is commonly misused for.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
hotwls13

Quote:
Shouldn't be that red... be sure not to put too much hardener in it. The bondo is not red in gallon cam is it?

I would suggest not using the fiberglass bondo-glass filler unless you are working on a Cameo or a boat. It's not reccomended for filling rust holes in steel as it is commonly misused for.
It’s grey in the can. Hardener is red. It may be the pics but I would say it goes on more of a pink (depending on how much hardener u use).

As for the fiberglass, I used it on the back of the cab to fill some small screw holes. It worked pretty good and they will never be seen so I finished them a little rough. I also used it on a couple trim holes. Dimpled them a bit before filling so the bondo Glass would have a little more room. I also pressed it into the hole a bit to Create a little blob inside the panel. After drying it creates a solid patch. I know this isn’t the “best” way to do it but my cheap 90amp harbor freight flux welder would just warp sheetmetal if I tried welding the holes shut.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #25
hotwls13

Got some color on th back of the cab today. Should have the bed back on soon.
Attached Images