The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #51
mister.freeze

Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

Holley part number 20-121.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #52
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

all you did was added the holley 20-121 piece on the carb and it brought 4th gear back from the dead ? NICE One............did you check the fluid level too...some times when its 3 quarts low it wont shift right is what I have been told from another thread on here....I aint no expert like others that replied on here but thats a great link on YOUTUBE on how to use the holley 20-121 piece....Im going to go buy several of those if it brings 4th back....THANKS !!!!!!!

That there bracket is much cheaper than buying a Master overhaul kit, shift kit, 2/4 band, bushing kit and heavens what else it takes to do a trans rebuild on here forum....

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 05-09-2018 at 11:43 PM.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #53
mister.freeze

Yeah, go figure. Magical.
Shifts are great cold, pretty soft when warmed up. It puked a bit when I tried to change the cable, so I'll double check the level, but it was a bit overfull as I didn't take out any to put in the Lucas oil.
Haven't been on the highway yet either. Think I'll order a new switch and re-enable the lockup.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #54
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

You gonna put one of em there toggle switches on the dash that everyone else’s run. Just don’t forget to switch it off when ya need to. Or you going to run different switch for lockup ?? Vac switch ? Maybe I need to check YouTube for that too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #55
mister.freeze

there is a good setup I saw on youtube, but yes, a fancy switch on the dash. Generally don't have much use for it between daily driving and towing, but the rare chance for a road trip it'll save some gas.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #56
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

THATTA boy......get one with the big red fancy light on it so you can see it when its on....be careful, everyone knows when running in 4th without TCC engaged may heat up your trans, thats what I hear on other expert forums and such...something about how the fluid gets thru the TC back into the transmission parts like the planetaries or something like that, not sure, but just be careful....hate to see ya lose 4th again and maybe more gears...
but ya did put in the rebuilder in a bottle lucas stuff so that there should put trans shops out of biz for sure along with that there 20-121 piece....good to go....

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 05-09-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #57
mister.freeze

Actually, it will be green...

Still getting 2nd gear starts. That can't be normal.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #58
jjzepplin

Can you manually shift down into 1st and go thru the gears manually?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #59
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
Actually, it will be green...

Still getting 2nd gear starts. That can't be normal.
A fancy green one, awesome....

As far as em there second gear starts most likely aint normal, I read on one of those transmission forums once that there gov could be faulty, ya can check YOUtube on how to replace the gov on that 700r4.... its not to hard to do I did it once on a TH350 back in the day.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #60
mister.freeze

Yes, I can manually shift. Sometimes, when in 3rd, I can feel it downshift to first just before a stop. Also, still no automatic downshifting.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #61
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes, I can manually shift. Sometimes, when in 3rd, I can feel it downshift to first just before a stop. Also, still no automatic downshifting.
I read a thread on here post once that someone used a pressure gauge to set the TV cable, not sure if that might help ya out.....maybe your local parts store would have the gauge as a rental tool or if you have a good friend that works there, thats even better.....when ya pick up that nice fancy green light for the dash at the parts store go ahead and ask em if they got a pressure gauge
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #62
mister.freeze

I was looking at a YOUTUBE video for an automatic lockup using a pressure switch. The location of the switch is also where I would hook up such a gauge. Unfortunately, my case does not have that port...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #63
jjzepplin

Kinda does sound like a governor. Might have broken springs or just came loose. I use a vacuum controlled switch and seems to work fine once adjusted.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #64
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

What did YOUTUBE indicate what to do in that case ? ya gots to drop the pan again ? As fir as the lockup, you see where ya can wire up the TCC solenoid to the two prong pressure switch screwed into the 4th gear oil circuit ? I read that on here too, not sure how it works in town when that there trans shifts into 4th it goes right into lockup of the TCC, at lower speeds it might bog that motor down unless you gots lots of horse power under that hood, and if you got one of those huge duration camshafts it will chug a lug at low speeds...I read that to on this forum someplace, not sure where at this time. I been told every thing you read is true on this here internet......I believe it.

Well good luck to ya. Gots to go try out that Lucas “rebuild in the bottle” stuff on this here ZF transmission on this here customers jaguar. Wish me luck

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 05-10-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #65
made2drag

Quote:
I was looking at a YOUTUBE video for an automatic lockup using a pressure switch. The location of the switch is also where I would hook up such a gauge. Unfortunately, my case does not have that port...
If you or anyone is looking into a lockup kit....

I hooked up a lockup kit I bought for $40 off ebay. Superior K013 99411 kit. Run 12v from your fusebox (switched power) to a toggle switch, then from toggle switch to one side of pressure switch you screw into side of trans, then the other side of switch goes to pin "A" and pin "d" goes to frame ground. You can leave it on all the time or toggle it on and off. The 12 volts waiting at one side of the pressure switch connects the path to pin "a" when the 4th gear pressure triggers the connection and when 4th gear pressure falls lower than that pressure it disengages by itself. I can be in 4th and turn toggle off and on and watch my tach drop or rise 200 rpms. It feels like a 5th gear when it engages and there is a 2 sec delay. Very gentle too.

I have seen advertised that the governor cover can be drilled and tapped to screw the pressure switch in but do your research and make sure first. The kit is really easy and straight forward to install.
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #66
mister.freeze

Not too sure about tapping that cover. Is there another option, seeing how my case doesn’t have the conventional ports?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #67
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

When hooking up an external pressure switch, How do you really know how it is wired in the VB ? Without dropping the pan ? What if someone else changed something in the wiring inside.....this trans has been rebuilt how many times ?

Since Mr.freeze doesnt have the external port for the 4th gear oil circuit (Located externally by the 2/4 servo), this all can be done off the 4th gear oil circuit off the VB which is very easy to do, most likely you already have the wiring there from the 4th gear oil circuit to the TCC solenoid.

The kit mentioned above can be used for internal and external usage...... wiring it to a fancy Green toggle switch on that there dash would really look cool.....your buddies would love it... make sure when ya cut the dash ya wear them there safety glasses, safety first....its as easy as when ya cut those nice holes in the bottom of your doors to put them there speakers in....getter done!!!

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 05-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #68
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Here is another way to achieve TCC engagement/disengagement:

using a type one 700r4 VB which is designed with the TCC shift valve bore.

This will work without any wires connected at all or you can wire the TCC solenoid up to the brake switch if you like (Optional).

The apply of the TCC will be controlled by the TCC shift valve in the type 1 VB, in the 700LU kit from Transgo they provide different springs to relay shift points for 3-4 shift and TCC shift after 4th gear....

this is different than how the TCC applies right after 4th gear is achieved using the pressure switch concept....

The pic shows the difference from type 1 and type 2 VB's:
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #69
mister.freeze

originally had the ol toggle switch setup, so the wiring is there. Would be nice to have the pressure switch in there too, but no biggie. Green button is going in next to all the other buttons I have: radiator fans, reverse lights, defrost, aircon, heater, etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #70
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=mister.freeze;8260989]originally had the ol toggle switch setup, so the wiring is there. Would be nice to have the pressure switch in there too, but no biggie. Green button is going in next to all the other buttons I have: radiator fans, reverse lights, defrost, aircon, heater, etc.[/QUOTE

That’s sounds awesome, had a visual climbing in Dale Earnhardt JRs car when I read your post. All those buttons controlling them there fans, heater, AC, etc. I bet them looks good..... enjoy your vehicle bet it looks good at night with all them there lights on that there dash. Jr be proud Good luck !!!!!!

QQ.................
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #71
mister.freeze

Fancy buttons. Don’t know why pic is upside down
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #72
mister.freeze

Ok. So the transmission is NOT fixed. I think the brief return of 4th gear is due to my efforts to replace the cable: I did a lot of tugging on the hook for the cable, leading me to think the TV valve is sticky. Also, the transmission responds to TV cable adjustments only when cold. When good and warm, shifting goes back to the same as any other TV cable setting. Still haven’ had a look at the governor for downshifting.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #73
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ok. So the transmission is NOT fixed. I think the brief return of 4th gear is due to my efforts to replace the cable: I did a lot of tugging on the hook for the cable, leading me to think the TV valve is sticky. Also, the transmission responds to TV cable adjustments only when cold. When good and warm, shifting goes back to the same as any other TV cable setting. Still haven’ had a look at the governor for downshifting.
You have driven this vehicle for how long like this ?

What would cause the TV valve in the VB to be sticky ?

All you have done is tried to replace the TV cable but the old one is still on the truck.... correct ? tugging on that there TV cable for what purpose ? did you have the pan off checking the operation of the TV plunger in the VB when you were tugging on the TV cable ? by tugging on the TV cable is telling you what ? sticky TV valve ?
700R4 do have issues with the TV valve, thats why Transgo designed a self cleaning TV valve for the 700R4....

again, pull the gov......start there.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #74
mister.freeze

Tugging on the TV as part of putting the cable back on. I was in an awkward position. I’m just speculating that all the tugging loosened it up and why it worked for a while afterward.

It’s been this way for several months. I’ve not taken the pan off since the fluid change. Are you suggesting replacing the TV? Is that something I can do without dropping the trans?

I’m starting to think that the geometry is still wrong: a longer arm on the carb would mean more travel on the TV cable. I kinda feel it’s too tight at idle, but not being pulled enough for proprt shifting
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #75
simicrintz

I have read all three pages of this post, and the title reads "Calling all 700R Experts!". Several knowledgable folks have replied with suggestions and provided direction, yet you continue to try to do the least amount of work and ignore what has been said. I read that the bracket is wrong and you talk about the cable. I read that the cable is wrong, and you say it worked before. I see multiple rebuilds on this trans (perhaps it continually failed because it has been set up wrong for so long and ignored). I just don't understand why you can't take the advice given and keep coming back and arguing and pulling on the cable. I read that you installed a magic green button!

This reminds me of the guy trying to fix something and tapping it with a hammer, hoping that it will magically fix itself. Not trying to be a jerk here, but it really does appear that you do not want all the 700R experts at all; you just want somebody to say "you're doing all the right things by pulling on that cable, not fixing the geometry or addressing the real problem; I have no idea why you're struggling".