The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #26
jdl71

Re: K20 brake part question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Thanks for remembering me.
Yes, I did finally figure it out, and brakes are working great now. Your lucky that it looks like you have all the parts, and they are correctly installed. Are your drums still good? That turned out to be the biggest challenge for me. Was thinking of starting a thread on options I found.
Thanks again for getting back to me on my original question,
Tom
The one I took off looks fine, cant get one of the screws off to separate it from the hub but I'll work through that. I'd still be interested in hearing what you did for drums as I'm sure others would as well. I've got a factory service manual and I've found several things that don't jive, like the drums can come off separate from the hubs and the axle shaft will not come out the hole after the backing plate is off on the d44hdf. What did you do for brake hose? I've got a short hard line that runs from the wheel cylinder to a bracket on the knuckle and the hose connects there. There is no way I can get something bent like that and I don't think a longer hose is an option, I don't think a hose would fit between the wheel cylinder and the knuckle.

64 C10

66 K20

Last edited by jdl71; 09-10-2018 at 08:01 AM.
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #27
61K10

Please post up what you guy's have found. Pictures is possible. Not much info of real life rebuilds on these old axles and brakes.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #28
jdl71

So far NAPA here in town has had everything I’ve needed. Wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware kit and grease seals all on the shelf. They do not have drums but I don’t need any yet. I don’t know how much this helps but here’s the part number of my front drum:
Attached Images

64 C10

66 K20
Old 09-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #29
Short 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
So far NAPA here in town has had everything IÂ’ve needed. Wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware kit and grease seals all on the shelf. They do not have drums but I donÂ’t need any yet. I donÂ’t know how much this helps but hereÂ’s the part number of my front drum:
Same part number as my originals. PO had run them down to the rivets and put some nice 1/4 inch grooves in them. Was able to find hoses, shoes and cylinders local no problem, but hardware was a problem. was able to re use some and match some of the others. Most do not list a hardware kit for the 3/4 ton, and I found that the ones that did were really for the 1/2 ton and while close, were not right, so check what NAPA sold you very close. If you did happen to get the correct hardware kit, please post the number, as I spent many months looking, and finally gave up.
As for the drums, hope yours are still good. They have been out of production by all suppliers for many years. Finally found a set of old stock through a place in Southern Cal called Drum Garden. Guy named Craig runs it and is the one to see for stuff that doesn't exist. Not cheap but after a year of looking was not in a position to complain.
So while I was looking for the correct drums I came up with a plan B to get my truck rolling. There is a 70's era Ford drum that is the right dimensions except for a few 10ths too large in diameter, so the shoe contact is high in the middle. Well I drove it around a little while I got the rest of the truck dialed in, and pretty soon those shoes wore in just perfect, and now after about 3000 miles it stops great. If I had known how well they were going to work I would have had the shoes arched to fit the larger drums and been done with it. Still haven't installed the correct drums.
Hope this helps,
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #30
jdl71

They list a hardware kit whether or not its correct is yet to be determined. I'm picking it all up this afternoon. All I really need out of it is the pins but I will compare the rest to see what matches.

Good info about the Ford drums. I thought these axles were pretty much the same no matter what brand they came in, so I would think someone would still be making a drum for them.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 09-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #31
jdl71

One more thought: did you try the back drums on the front? According to the factory manual the fronts should be 1/8” larger. Rear is listed as 12” front 12.13”. Not sure if that would matter.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
Short 3/4

Quote:
One more thought: did you try the back drums on the front? According to the factory manual the fronts should be 1/8” larger. Rear is listed as 12” front 12.13”. Not sure if that would matter.
Both front and rear are 12x2 and rears are readily available, but offset is different, so rears don't fit on front.
On your brake lines, sounds like HD is different, as my standard 3/4 was the same as 1/2 ton. If you can't make that short line yourself you can send to Classic Tube and they will make a new one for you.
For the Ford drums, the part number on my receipt is 60131-2028 (2018) Not sure what Brand that number is for, but got those drums at Drum Garden as well.
Do you know about Torque King? They are a great source of parts and info on that front end. (but unfortunately no brake parts).
Hope this helps,
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #33
jdl71

I'm familiar with Torque King, have them bookmarked mainly for the T221 parts they carry.

Does your rubber brake hose go directly to the wheel cylinder then? If so does it have a 90* fitting at the wheel end? There is not enough clearance on mine between the knuckle and wheel cylinder fitting to get a regular hose on there.

The hardware kit I picked up seemed pretty generic, the hold down springs and cups weren't exactly the same but seem like they work. Found I've got a broken bottom shoe spring, so now to try to find one of those. Any idea what exactly it's called? It's the one by the adjuster that keeps the bottom of the shoes together.

64 C10

66 K20

Last edited by jdl71; 09-11-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #34
Short 3/4

Quote:
I'm familiar with Torque King, have them bookmarked mainly for the T221 parts they carry.

Does your rubber brake hose go directly to the wheel cylinder then? If so does it have a 90* fitting at the wheel end? There is not enough clearance on mine between the knuckle and wheel cylinder fitting to get a regular hose on there.

The hardware kit I picked up seemed pretty generic, the hold down springs and cups weren't exactly the same but seem like they work. Found I've got a broken bottom shoe spring, so now to try to find one of those. Any idea what exactly it's called? It's the one by the adjuster that keeps the bottom of the shoes together.
Yes, my hose goes directly into the cylinder with a straight fitting, so sounds like HD is much different

Looks like you are having same problem with springs as I had. Wound up having to dig through bins at a brake supply house and a local shop that does a lot of work on the kind of old/odd junk that seems to always follow me home. Never found any parts sources with complete/accurate listings on the hardware and springs for 3/4 ton, so is a match by eye scavenger hunt. I needed the same spring as I recall, and everybody tried to sell me the 1/2 ton version, which was too short
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Old 09-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #35
jdl71

I found adjuster springs. Oreilly also carries them as part number H415
Attached Images

64 C10

66 K20
Old 09-17-2018, 01:00 AM   #36
Short 3/4