The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
sbrban

67 Chevy truck...trying to put power steering back on.

This truck had it originally but someone took it off-I'm assuming it was a leaker.
I purchased a power gearbox off a guy but it was missing the pitman arm. I ordered a new arm and now the fun starts...the box I have needs a it man arm with a pinch bolt,not a nut. I looked at my 72 4wd Burbank it takes the pinch bolt. Well, apparently this style pitman arm is made of unobtanium.
So I'm wondering-are the 4wd gearboxes the only ones that use pinch bolts? And why is it so hard to get a new arm for them?
Should I just buy a reman. 2wd gearbox and sell this pinch bolt style? Thanks for any help!
Mike.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: 67 Chevy truck...trying to put power steering back on.

well originally the 67 came with a ram style power steer system as an option. is this the style youre looking to put back on?
if not and youre running the small block with a 2wd truck, you should just get a reman steer gear from NAPA for an early 70`s squarebody. you can use the same pitman arm you have already (not the pinch one) but the frame will most likely have to be dimpled to accomodate the steer gear or you could do like me and shim it out a 1/4". It works fine like that as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
sbrban

Re: 67 Chevy truck...trying to put power steering back on.

It had the ram style on it I'm sure.when I acquired it someone had put a manual gearbox on so now I'm putting the normal style on. So a '73 and up will bolt on also?