The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
JohnJ@RideTech

99-06 Coilovers and 4-Link Kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are currently working on the development of a bolt-in coilover kit and 4-link for the 99-06 trucks and Id like to get some feed back from you guys.

What do you look for when shopping for suspension components?

Would you be interested in a coil over kit if one was available or do you think that a basic spindle/ spring kit is the way to go?

Obviously, we are going to build the kit to do more than just look good. Do you think that having a performance oriented suspension would get more people using these trucks for other than cruising?

Which amount of drop do you prefer? A 4/6 or a 5/7?

If not either of those, what drop do you think looks best on these trucks?

When looking for suspension, what manufacturer do you check out first?

When the time comes to purchase, do you prefer to use suppliers like Jegs/Summit or are there local guys you prefer to purchase from?

In your opinion, who are building some of the baddest 99-06 trucks out there right now? They don't have to be a big name shop and the truck doesn't have to be complete.

Do you prefer to have someone else install or are you more of a do it yourself type of guy/girl?

If your truck is already lowered using a traditional kit, would you be willing to switch over to a more performance oriented kit if you knew handling and ride quality would be drastically increased?

Rank the following on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most important:

Ride Quality:

Street Driving:

Autocross:

Road Race:

Drag Racing:

Last but not least, Do you think there is even a market for a complete 4-link, coilover kit for these trucks or are we going to waste our time? If you think its a dumb idea and no one has an interest in them, I obviously want to know that as well.

Below is a picture of our current air kit for these trucks. Most of the products you see below will move over to the new coilover kit other than a few modifications to the rear suspension to replace bags. Look it over and let me know what you think.

Name:  99-06 Kit.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  36.9 KB

As always, I really do appreciate any and all feedback you guys can give me on this. This forum is a great place for all of us to exchange information on the trucks we love and we at Ridetech really do value your opinions.
Feel free to contact me directly if you guys have any other questions or think there may be an important question I am leaving out.
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: 99-06 Coilovers and 4-Link Kit

Here are a few photos of the finished product on my 2003 Silverado.

Name:  Silverado-Bowling Green.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  Silverado 4 edit.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  Silverado Test Track.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  67.3 KB
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
PGSigns

I like the stance.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
JohnJ@RideTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I like the stance.
Jimmy
Thanks man. Im really happy with the way it turned out.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 AM   #5
EVRLET

That’s a lot of questions to answer. I’ll just give my thoughts. Here on the west coast, these NBS and NNBS trucks, and even the earlier OBS trucks roll on 22, 24, 26 tucked wheels. We want the tucked look. The wheel openings are big and looks good filled up.

Even though there are SS trucks with 6.0 motors, nobody is really doing all out suspension mods to accommodate the performance mods. Honestly, I can’t see people converting leafs to 4 link on these trucks.

Look at my truck. It has a 5/10 drop. The only real mod was adding an under bed notch to prevent bottoming out with this much drop. It still bottomed out and so now it’s at a 9” drop. But the cost to do this was minimal and I think the ride is smooth and not harsh at all. I’m riding on 22s but could fit 24s. I had to tub the front wheel wells to get the 5” drop and roll on 22s and still get full turn.

I’ve done 4 link conversions on C10s. However, on my 1997 Silverado and 2001 Silverado, I didn’t even give an ounce of thought to a 4 link conversion. The ride comfort with leafs on my 97 and 01 are smooth compared to older trucks with leafs.

To give you an idea on what people are really doing on the west coast with this year group trucks and others, go to California Truck Invasion Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/california...nvasion/?hl=en

I went to the last “show” earlier in the year in San Bernardino. There must have been over 200 trucks. What blows my mind is the untapped market of these Chevy trucks and the look they’re going after. Unfortunately, suspension conversions, aside from bags, isn’t what people are doing.

To answer some of your questions:

Spindle brand is important to me. Chinese no name brands will never be used on my trucks. My 97 has Belltech and the 01 has McGaughy.

Front springs brands, not a big deal.

Rear flip kit components and brands, not a big deal. For the 99-06, I was particular about the under bed notch. Majority are designed with square tubing and fill panels...total junk. I’m not going to cut my frame and add junk notches. I bought the notch from Reklez Suspension Works in Houston. Best under bed notches I have seen for the 99-06.

I do all my own installs.

Summit Racing gets my business.

Funny because here in Vegas, there isn’t a dedicated shop turning out custom sport trucks. When I bought my 97 new, there was a shop in Vegas called Total FX and they were doing all the sport truck mods that were popular back then. Now, nothing. I do side jobs for people at my house because there really isn’t a place in Vegas doing these sport truck mods.

I would be willing to switch over to a 4 link to feel the difference. But it’s one of those things where I feel the leafs are fine and the ride comfort is great, so I’m not expecting a dramatic difference.

I don’t think the market is ripe for the 4 link coilover kit. The majority is content with simple spindle/spring and flip kits. Those that do go all out get bag setups. Also the real show winners and crowd pleasers are rolling on 15” wide rims to showcase the deep dish. I can see maybe 4 link for that, but most still retain the leafs.

Hope that helps...
Attached Images

Last edited by EVRLET; 07-27-2018 at 02:49 AM.
EVRLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
JohnJ@RideTech

Thanks man, we appreciate your feed back.
Obviously, this setup isn't for everyone. While leaf springs do serve their purpose, they aren't the ideal setup for what we think these trucks are capable of.
If you just want a lowered ride height and an ok ride, by all means a flip kit, drop spindles and springs will do the trick.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
absmith

Very cool product. I see you guys mention this is ride height adjustable. Your truck looks pretty low. Any chance this system can accommodate a 2/4 or 3/5 drop? What happens to the load capacity with coilovers in the rear? I'm also curious about the wheel and tire specs on your truck. Thanks for the help.
absmith is offline   Reply With Quote