The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

Another parts store funny.

I went to get a power steering belt today for a 72 pickup. I had the number off the old belt and the lady behind the counter wasn't able to just walk back and pick up another with the same number. So.....no problem, right?

Her...What year is it?

Me... 1972

Her...Is it 1/2 or 3/4 ton 2 or 4wd?

Me....1/2 ton 2wd.

Her...What's the engine size?

Me...350

Her...2 or 4 barrel?

Me...4

Her...Is it a manual or an automatic?

Me...Auto.

Blah Blah Blah!! I realize she's probably not making much more than minimum wage but for god sakes! It's a power steering belt that I gave you the # for when I walked in!

Then she keeps doing her part to make her sales for the day. She asks if I need any Power steering fluid. I'm still being polite.....No thank you. Then she asks if I would like any belt dressing. Hmmm, Isn't that what people put on noisy belts to quiet em down? Seems like this new belt should be plenty quiet don't ya think? I didn't say that though......I just told her no thank you, paid for my belt and left.

Oh the old parts stores!

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Another parts store funny.

I used to have a '81 Jeep cj 7 with a 68 (ish) Chevy 327 and a ford 400 tranny. Modern parts stores & I did not get along. Too bad all the local mom and pop shops are gone. Today a parts "associate" could be leaning on the part you need and if the computer says they dont have it, so does the parrot.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 03-14-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
hilbilly
I do everything twice, so what

Location: To the Right. One may go as far to say WAY to the Right

That's women 'fer ya'
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Billla
Account Suspended

I find myself regularly breaking in new counter workers...but lately I've been finding young "car guys" starting here and there.

My favorite answer yet to "what year is it" was "It has everything on it from 1969 through 2007 - pick one...or look up the part number i just gave you."
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I won a 25% discount on asome little BS parts a few years ago when i had my old GMC. (I think it was 2 brake drums) I walked into the local advance auto, told him I needed 2 drums for a 69 GMC c/1500. He asked what engine it had, i told him it has a 350 in it now, but it doesn't matter. He looked over his glasses and said in a semi-sh!tty voice "oh, it does matter"
I'm thinking OK... what ever, I'll play your stupid little game.
I said, "OK, it originally came with a 305.
He pokes his keyboard and said "they never came with 305s... just the 230, 250, and 292 inlines, 307, 350, and 396."
I informed him that the 230 never came in any 67 - 72, and that the GMC trucks also had a 305 and a 351 option.
He started getting a little upset at me being an idiot...
"the 305 wasn't born yet in 69, and the 351 was a for engine that wasn't out yet either."
I let him now he was wrong on both ctatements...69 was the first year for the 351 windsor.. and I think Cleveland too, but that's not important... I'm talking GMC truck V-6 engines.
He actually called me a dumb ass then.
I told him I demand a 25% discount, when oi prove you and your stupid computer wrong in less than 2 min.
He agreed as I stepped out, grabbed my owner's manual and my registration. Pointed out my CM digits ont he VIN, then flipped the owner's manual open to the VIN page, and then told him again... I need a set of brake drums for my 69 c/1500, you can look it up as an inline, or a v8... it won't matter.
He looked, saw the same p/n for both listings, then was shocked to see he had 2 on hand....
and gave me the 25% discount.
Quote:
Today a parts "associate" could be leaning on the part you need and if the computer says they dont have it, so does the parrot
Well said... very well said.
This is why i try to always deal with one of 2 guys at my local-ish NAPA. Just today i went in to buy a turn signal switch for the van tilt going in the burb, and it was $60. Jeff looked at me and asked if the signal was acting stupid, or if the piece the lever mounts on was broken. When i told him it was just the plastic piece, he tells me I can get you that part for 13 bucks.
SWEEEET!!!!
He even remembers to type in 78 eldorado when ever I say I need engien parts for my truck.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 03-14-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
pissonNOS

Gotta have to agree on the computers theyve turned partsman stupid for the most part, one of the other mechanics thought i was nuts the other day for measuring a belt with a dayco belt measuring stick or whatever you call it he says u cant do that youre supposed to phone the parts guys and give them the make model blah blah blah. some people today grr
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
hilbilly

Napa is the only chain parts store left with folks that ain't retards. O'Really's?, Puk Boys and ADHDvanced Auto are a joke.
I had (like he way mine only) the best parts guy EVER, Jermey. This guy new everything about every part. Not what year, color and make (this he this also new) but the part itself. Running pulling trucks as I do, nothing is stock. I could ask for front out shaft seal for a 205 t-case, but I need it to fit a 32 spline shaft I got out of a Dodge that I put in my chevy case, no problem he got it. I need 6 left hand and 6 right hand 3" wheel studs to fit a rockwell F106, no problem have them on th3 3 pm truck, Need the rear motor seal off a weiland elec water pump, tiny little bastard, no probelm have it Thrusday, but late. Brass sinc'row's for a 465, took a week, but they were right. Set of outter hub seals for a gm 2.5 ton front, 2 weeka, but they were right. Etc,etc,etc.....
Then the ol' boy went and got married (dang women again) and moved to PA. If you boy's can find him he's a mgr in a Napa their, you can't go with him. Hard worker, excellent person and n all around stand up guy. I deffently miss that type of follow up, attention to detail and doing what ever is needed to make the customer a repete & happy. Also, a GREAT friend.
Man, do I sound like a sap
Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
redneckgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilbilly View Post
That's women 'fer ya'
No...that is unprofessional counter people for you. This 'woman' could not only get him the belt, I could cross reference the number from gates to dayco IN MY HEAD.....There were parts MEN I worked with in my years on the counter that couldn't find thier backside with two hands and a flashlight.

I had a guy that was brought in and the boss really talked him up and he looked at me and asked what the difference was between a tie rod end and a centerlink.....

One swore Buick never made a Grand National because it wasn't listed in the computer. And he had been in the business 30 years (so he said)

and yes Andy....I know what a distributor is

Last edited by redneckgirl; 03-14-2008 at 10:50 AM.
redneckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Isn't a distributor where the stores get there parts from? And oh yeah...... Did you want fries with that? DING FRIES ARE DONE!!!!
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I double dog dare you to locate the distributor in my G6 Jacki!

Some of these brainiacs don't do any better on newer cars that actually are in their computer. Took me three trys to get the correct brake pads for a Grand Am once...
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
hewlett2002000

yea i had a similar experience when buying brakes and drums for my 66. went in and said i need a set of rear brakes and 2 new brake drums for a 1966 chevrolet C10. he said what engine and transmission. i said a 350/4-spd . he said that model dident come with a 350, i said maybe not but it has one now, but what does the engine size have to do with the brakes? he said "i need to get the engine size right to give you the right brakes." we argued for about 10 minutes and i said just gimme the brakes for a 66 chevrolet C10 and pick whatever engine you want. he said ok, but you will be bringing them back because they wont fit. lmao guess what? they fit!! lmao my dad went to a napa one day to get a battery for his 88 suburban. he walked up and said he needed a battery and told the lady what he wanted. she asked for all that info and said that the battery he wanted was not the recommended battery and it could be dangerous. he said "well ive been using this battery for 3+ years and it worked fine so just give me the damn battery!!". im not old enough to know about the old time parts stores but the parts store my dad usually shops at is like that. real friendly and could care less what the vehicle and engine size is if you walk in with a part number or just ask for a battery. and guess what? they get there part numbers from a book!! lol sorry for the life story.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
hewlett2002000

i oughta call and ask for a water pump for a 1960 corvair!! lol

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Jacki I too worked a parts counter for years, then owned a muscle car parts shop with my x for years, People who reply like that are usually the ones that would come in asking for help looking up a wiper blade, and not worth the aggravation of a reply
I'd love to see someone come across with a reply like that in person with you, pickles and myself there.. poor goofy clueless man.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Parts stores will never be like they were.... what a loss!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
see ten
WTB this ad

I for one never insinuated that the counter persons gender had anything to do with her incompetence! Just a disclaimer there ladies. In our town the only store with real counter men is the Oreillys. The only reason for that is when the Advance and Auto Zone shut down our REAL parts stores all the counter men went to Oreillys. I guess that's where I should have went for my belt but it's about 2 miles further and I thought for sure with me having the part # I wouldn't have the problems that I did. My brother was using the Oreillys for most of his parts when he was converting his Blazer over to ton running gear. If any of you have ever done this you know that you run in to some odd parts trying to get it to work. Well he needed a bastard U joint to get the half ton driveshaft to mate with the ton rear axle. The store manager wasn't able to find him one. My bro told him not to worry about it and walked down the counter to one of the old counter men that doesn't know how to use a computer () and he starts thumbing through his books and finds it for him. Now my brother just goes straight to the old guys! I don't know what we're going to do when they all get so old that they can't work anymore.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I`ve only had trouble with parts "boys" and "men".I find parts "women" tend to try harder (I guess they feel a need to prove themselves to bigots) and are more willing to actually listen.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
hewlett2002000

well ill have to tell ya i had my doubts but one day i went in autozone and there was a guy my age (im 18) with a Mohawk that dident know squat. so i moved on down the counter to the next person, a woman, maybe 30 years old. im tellin you what she knew her ****. wish i could find a single girl like that .

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
hilbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilbilly View Post
That's women 'fer ya'
Stir the pot, stir, stir......Stir the pot
Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
Billla
Account Suspended

The part I struggle with the most is getting flack for having a part number. I went into Schucks (always a mistake, but they're closer) last night to get a trans filter kit - Fram FT1021. It's a long thread...but it helps me get the PO'd out

I'd like 2 FRAM FT1021 transmission filter kits, please.
*What's it for.
FT1021. That's the part number. I'd like 2
*I need to know what it goes in to make sure it fits.
Well, the last 14 I've put my truck have fit just fine. I need 2, please
*We can't sell it to you unless we look it up - otherwise you'll return it.
sigh* (the usual litany of what the truck is)
*That's not the right filter
OK, can I talk to the manager?
*Why?
Because I need to buy these filters and I don't have any more time to waste with you
* FINE.
Manager: What can I do to help?
I need two Fram FT1021 transmission filter kits.
*What's it for?
Look...I've owned this truck for a decade and changed the trans filter 14 times. I know what the right filter is, and I either need you sell me two or I need to go down the road to NAPA and get them there.
*Pause...
*Why do you need two?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

I left. 2 minute transaction at NAPA after a lookup of the FRAM number to convert.

I really do understand the return thing...but I'd almost rather that they just put a sticker on the thing saying NON-RETURNABLE PART if I refuse to participate in their auto parts computer mind games.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #20
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
The part I struggle with the most is getting flack for having a part number. I went into Schucks (always a mistake, but they're closer) last night to get a trans filter kit - Fram FT1021. It's a long thread...but it helps me get the PO'd out

I'd like 2 FRAM FT1021 transmission filter kits, please.
*What's it for.
FT1021. That's the part number. I'd like 2
*I need to know what it goes in to make sure it fits.
Well, the last 14 I've put my truck have fit just fine. I need 2, please
*We can't sell it to you unless we look it up - otherwise you'll return it.
sigh* (the usual litany of what the truck is)
*That's not the right filter
OK, can I talk to the manager?
*Why?
Because I need to buy these filters and I don't have any more time to waste with you
* FINE.
Manager: What can I do to help?
I need two Fram FT1021 transmission filter kits.
*What's it for?
Look...I've owned this truck for a decade and changed the trans filter 14 times. I know what the right filter is, and I either need you sell me two or I need to go down the road to NAPA and get them there.
*Pause...
*Why do you need two?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

I left. 2 minute transaction at NAPA after a lookup of the FRAM number to convert.

I really do understand the return thing...but I'd almost rather that they just put a sticker on the thing saying NON-RETURNABLE PART if I refuse to participate in their auto parts computer mind games.
"Why do you need two"

It really dosen't matter wheather is it a man or woman it all comes down to experience. Some of these kids are doing it for some cash and some are learning. Maybe in 10 years they will be great at it too, but untill then they need the experience. I know where to go for my parts.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #21
rambler
MOVE OVER

a lot of times, I'll look on line first, if its a part I've never ordered before, look at the picture, (if there) and then when I get to the counter, I know the part number... they freak out, and ask for engine, year, etc... I just say,, I want part # ...... there is a local NAPA near me, but I know they will never have the part in stock, I always have to order it, so if I have time, I can wait for them.. usually there is someone hanging out there, that can help with part selection..

Last edited by rambler; 03-14-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: brain fart
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #22
Longhorn Man

this won't surprise Liz Not Jacki one bit... I'll normally go straight to the femail parts person if give n the chance.

But that's cuz I'm a perv.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #23
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Went into AZ looking for a flex fan for my 52. I ended up dealing with the manager, a guy about 50. We couldn't find one that would work. So he suggested that I put in an electric fan.

I asked if he had one that would work, and he said yes.

Then I said it's a 6 volt system. He suddenly developed a stutter!

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
Longhorn Man

LOL!
you'd think than some one that is about 50... would at least think to ask about that... it was still somewhat common when he first started driving/
Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #25
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Well I guess I'm lucky
We have 3 parts stores in town Parts Plus, Tap, & O reillys
Tap kinda just sucks cuz they never have anything, O reillys has the modern dumbass computer questionare & Parts Plus is kinda in between

I can walk in Parts Plus get greeted my name & asked what I'm working on today, then get to the counter shoot the bull a bit & say I need a part# blah & they usually have it, can cross reference or order it
Just occasionally that they ask all the questions as to what it goes in, but even then they can basically figure out whats in it & just be double checking with me to make sure they got it right

They may not be as cheap as the O reillys but it cuts down on hassle & time

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote