The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
mhunt

5.3L CARBED in a '86

Hello all,

First time poster here.

I've got a '86 2wd chevy shortbed...currently with the 4.3. Obviously that has to go!

Went to a salvage yard last week and picked up a '05 5.3L from a silverado. it's the iron block/aluminumhead engine. It's got everything except the harness and PCU. it had approx 50k miles, got it for $400...can't complain!

I have made the decision to go with a carburetor set up in lieu of keeping the EFI. Also going with a th350 trans to maintain the budget, maybe changed out for a 700r4 later.

through searching, i've found boo koo's of info on re-doing the EFI but threads seem to be short on the carb swaps.

Anyone with experience done this? What's your set up?
I keep hearing about a GM performance parts carb intake and the edelbrock. which is better? any and all info or links are welcome!

Thanks!
mhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
mhunt

Re: 5.3L CARBED in a '86

Also--- can someone explain the coolant crossover tube at the front of the heads? Why does it splice into the throttle body, and why does it run all the way back to the radiator on factory applications instead of simply making a shorter route?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
cableguy0

theres a kit available to do the complete swap including a new timing cover and cam adapter to use a regular distributor. if you dont use a distributor you have to get a controller to run the coil packs to have working ignition.chances are the edelbrock and gm performance intake are the same thing or close enough that it wont really matter. either one would be a quality part so it would come down to price. why not just keep the efi? they are a nice setup and those engines will get 20mpg with an od trans.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
mhunt

I am wanting the carb set up due to the simplicity, don't want to mess with the wiring, ecu, return fuel line, gas tank, fuel pumps...etc....

I would rather use the MSD ignition to retain the individual coilpacks in lieu of a distributor. which brings me to another point-- which one? I've read where one controller comes with 6 predetermined advance modules and another is fully adjustable....If i am wanting to keep the engine stock and/or maybe put a higher lift cam later on....would the control module with the "pills" suffice? No plans for nitrous or other power adders.

thanks

Last edited by mhunt; 11-13-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
BossHogg69
motor exploder

There was an episode of "Horsepower TV" (on spike?) that did this swap. carbed 5.3, using a distributor. I think they used the edelbrock kit. you may be able to get the episode through the Horsepower TV website.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunt View Post
Also--- can someone explain the coolant crossover tube at the front of the heads? Why does it splice into the throttle body, and why does it run all the way back to the radiator on factory applications instead of simply making a shorter route?
They are there to keep air out of the system because the water outlet is lower than the heads. in the factory app. the coolant was ran through the throttle body to prevent ice build up in the throttle bore in extreme cold temps. just hook it to the radiator
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
mhunt

thanks clinebarger....that makes sense. So correct me if i'm wrong, but since that hose "vents" the air/steam to prevent hotspots, it shouldn't be hooked up to the positive pressure side of the water pump.

If i do decide to go with the factory EFI, has anyone used the painless wiring kit on an LS motor? What common fuel pumps are people using that fit without breaking the bank? I think these motors need 50-60 psi?

Last edited by mhunt; 11-13-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunt View Post
thanks clinebarger....that makes sense. So correct me if i'm wrong, but since that hose "vents" the air/steam to prevent hotspots, it shouldn't be hooked up to the positive pressure side of the water pump.

If i do decide to go with the factory EFI, has anyone used the painless wiring kit on an LS motor? What common fuel pumps are people using that fit without breaking the bank? I think these motors need 50-60 psi?
The factory hooks in to the top right side tank of the radiator.
ive used painless harnesses several times, They make a good product. You can use a high presssure inline pump but there noisy and not as reliable as a in tank pump.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
mhunt

ok thanks, so the coolant tube problems solved..

I was hoping that there was someone who did some legwork and tested some factory intank fuel pumps that would possibly work....wishful thinking!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
LEEVON

edelbrock makes the performer and victor intakes. The victor is almost identical to the GMPP. You want the MSD 6010 controller, not the edelbrock one, reason being it has timing "pills" that limit you and they have too much total timing. The 6010 is completely adjustable with a laptop.

DONT do the distributor, in my opinion it's pointless not to mention is cost a crapload of money and is on the front of the engine. Take the mechanics out of timing and you have the best half of an EFI set-up.