The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Lift shackles???

Is this what I need to raise the rear of my burb?? It has a flip kit and sits a little low in the rear.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-6404/
Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
Mkcustums

Re: Lift shackles???

That one states that it's only good for a 1/2 inch. How much higher are you wanting it back up? Is your frame notched yet, or are you wanting to not do that?

**You could always put on a simple "bag over axle" type kit, then you could set it where you want it whenever too. Many different ways you can set that up as well.

Last edited by Mkcustums; 12-12-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

I was wanting a full inch lift in the rear atleast. Do you know of 1" lift shacle?? I changed out the stock 5 leaf for a 8 leaf spring pack when I did the flip. Do you think that dropped the rear more than normal?? No c notch. Probably will c notch it, but I guess I will have to make one. I was planning on pulling a 20ft. car trailer sometimes. What do you think about one of these bag set ups Mkcustoms??

http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...-rear-kit.html

http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...-leaf-kit.html
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Mkcustums

Your Suburban is a tension shackle not a compression shackle, so only way to get lift that way is to make it really short, that's not a good thing. Usually a lift shackle on these trucks is gonna lower it even more, plus should ride a bit smoother too. A lift shackle is usually longer, but in this case they would be short and possibly bind up the suspension.

Why did you switch the 5 for an 8? It wouldn't make it lower, but if you started with an 8 then yes but the 8 after the fact wouldn't. Also lots of things start coming into play when you compare one vehicle to another. Old saggy spring pack will be lower than a newer set, if there are over loads, 1/2 ton 3/4 ton.... ect. So if someone says it worked for them it might be different for you.

I watched that movie, if you start pulling leafs don't get too carried away. It can become too soft unless you get the bags filled, meaning a heavy truck not notched with minimal leaves will start hittin the frame. Plus axle wrap starts to get pretty bad too.

I hope some of this helps and doesn't just cause confusion. If it was me, I'd run 3-4 leafs, longest shackle possible, very small bupstops and bags to keep it up where I want it. Also if you do bags keep them seperated so the air doesn't transfer between the bags.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
rdm1208

Western chassis sells a lift shackle, I used one on my burb when I did the flip kit. Had to grind a very small amount off the spring hanger for clearance but works well. It will raise it approx 1"
rdm1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Mkcustums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1208 View Post
Western chassis sells a lift shackle, I used one on my burb when I did the flip kit. Had to grind a very small amount off the spring hanger for clearance but works well. It will raise it approx 1"
Not sure how heavy his 20' trailer is... that was my concern. Empty, sure, loaded or hauling though?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
rdm1208

I didnt do any heavy hauling or pull a trailer, it worked for light loads. Cant speak to the rest though.
rdm1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

I put a 8 leaf pack because the 5 pack I had on it was saggy. The 8 pack I had was new. Also so I could haul more without squatting in the rear so bad. I have pulled my 20' trailer with a 3/4 diesel on it and it pulled really well. It has a long tongue. This was before I dropped it. I am going to get the 1" shackles for sure.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Can someone post a link to where I can get these 1" western chassis lift shackles??? I can not seem to find them.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #10
Mkcustums

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassquarebodies View Post
Can someone post a link to where I can get these 1" western chassis lift shackles??? I can not seem to find them.
I just try to help with a few ideas, not with company selection. I make my own parts...

Here is their email address though.... Email: mail@westernchassisinc.com

Last edited by Mkcustums; 12-13-2010 at 01:38 AM.