The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
mr.chevy

Rear Differential help

Hey all,

I am on here because I have a good buddy with a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab 4 wheel drive 5.3, and he blew his rear differential out this morning. Pretty much destroyed. He is being quoted 1800-2500 bucks to have the shop fix it.
Question:

What other trucks are compatible with this truck? Maybe I can find one from somebody parting another truck out.

Any and all help would be appreciated or if you know of one in the northern Utah area.

Thanks so much.

Ben

Its a 67 Chevy C10 now, and its short now too.
Here is my 1967 Chevy C10 Shortened Build Blog
http://boyescustoms.blogspot.com
Here is my 1967 Chevy C10 Shortened Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433535
mr.chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
homemade87

Re: Rear Differential help

99 to 04 2wd or 4wd will bolt right in . These have rear wheel disc which is what his truck has . Maybe a 05 ( cant remember ) . But 06 and new have drum brakes and is not a direct bolt in .

Hit up your local junk yards like LKQ , pick a part or something like one of these . Next thing will be to get the same gear and posi if it has one . Do a little research on the glove box codes on his truck so you know what you are looking at when you go .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
mr.chevy

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Ben

Its a 67 Chevy C10 now, and its short now too.
Here is my 1967 Chevy C10 Shortened Build Blog
http://boyescustoms.blogspot.com
Here is my 1967 Chevy C10 Shortened Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433535
mr.chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
99 to 04 2wd or 4wd will bolt right in . These have rear wheel disc which is what his truck has . Maybe a 05 ( cant remember ) . But 06 and new have drum brakes and is not a direct bolt in .

Hit up your local junk yards like LKQ , pick a part or something like one of these . Next thing will be to get the same gear and posi if it has one . Do a little research on the glove box codes on his truck so you know what you are looking at when you go .
I have wondered about the why's and how's of the rear disc brakes.The 2005 1/2 ton 2WD, SWB I just bought has rear drum brakes, even though it has the towing package. Having any kind of tongue weight when towing puts more stress on the rear brakes than normal driving, and NOT talking about over loading the tongue weight or trailer weight...

I'd like to upgrade mine some day to rear disc. My friend that I bought pickup from previously had a 2000 2WD SWB 1/2 ton that was pretty plainly optioned, V6 nothing special, but it had rear disc brakes...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
homemade87

I dont think the there was an option . Its just what gm did up to 04 . Thats why that v6 had them . Seems like there was some talk of some problems with the disc set up and gm went back to drums ( not sure about this ) . Dont discount the drum as of stopping power . The will work just fine . The problem with drum brakes is they can not get rid of the heat like the disc can . So if you where having to do a lot of long down hill grades they can heat up and fade . But just regular towing with no long periods of braking my 06 does just fine . In my opinion trailer brakes are a must for towing .

The OP could use a drum system but there will be things they will have to change ( brake lines , e brake cable , possibly the master cylinder , portioning valve ) .

Mr.Chevy could use a drum rear and swap everything over being they are going to have the old rear . Could use up to 07 classic body style . Will have to pull the rear cover to get the axles out . This will open up some more options to finding the right gear ratio as well . The rear should be the same and bolt right in . Its just the brake system that will be different .
Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
greasemonkey

Front discs also got bigger when they swapped to rear drums, which is why they went to 17" wheels stock instead of the previous 16." I believe the transition was 2005, my base model '05 came with 17" steelies and rear drum brakes, my '04 tahoe has 4 wheel disc with 16s.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
Front discs also got bigger when they swapped to rear drums, which is why they went to 17" wheels stock instead of the previous 16." I believe the transition was 2005, my base model '05 came with 17" steelies and rear drum brakes, my '04 tahoe has 4 wheel disc with 16s.
Now that you mention it my 06 did have a larger front rotor . A friend of mine had some drilled and slotted rotors I was going to put on my 06 but they were for 01 and they were a little smaller . My 06 has 17" wheels also .

I know we are a little off topic for the OP but I think they got there answer a couple post back .