The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
69_C10_292

What turbo would go great with a straight six?

I have a 1969 chevy c10 with a 292 engine and a 4 speed muncie. I want to put a turbo in it. I'm still in high school about to enter senior year and i just want a truck that's fast to beat those chevy vortec engines and those hondas. I wanted to know what type of turbos are good for this like a cummins or a gt35 idk tbh. i also wanted to know what internals i need to upgrade to support this mod and what type of manifold would would go good for this and the type of carburetor. i would like the horsepower to to be greater than that of a 350. Any Suggestions?
69_C10_292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: What turbo would go great with a straight six?

Get out your wallet because your gonna need a ton of cash to do it .

https://bangshift.com/general-news/v...-at-the-drags/

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...ne-six-engine/

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-26-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Alex V.

Or better yet: don't play that game. For the reasons you stated it's a pointless jerkoff match between guys with no vision past the city limit of their small town. Enjoy the class and durability of your truck. Spend the money you're talking about spending on speed parts and drive it cross-country. Take a tent and a toolbox and help people that need it along the way. You'll come back with way better stories to tell your buddies than who beat who's ragged out Civic and who scored who's ragged out ex.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
Or better yet: don't play that game. For the reasons you stated it's a pointless jerkoff match between guys with no vision past the city limit of their small town. Enjoy the class and durability of your truck. Spend the money you're talking about spending on speed parts and drive it cross-country. Take a tent and a toolbox and help people that need it along the way. You'll come back with way better stories to tell your buddies than who beat who's ragged out Civic and who scored who's ragged out ex.
Well said!
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_C10_292 View Post
I have a 1969 chevy c10 with a 292 engine and a 4 speed muncie. I want to put a turbo in it. I'm still in high school about to enter senior year and i just want a truck that's fast to beat those chevy vortec engines and those hondas. I wanted to know what type of turbos are good for this like a cummins or a gt35 idk tbh. i also wanted to know what internals i need to upgrade to support this mod and what type of manifold would would go good for this and the type of carburetor. i would like the horsepower to to be greater than that of a 350. Any Suggestions?
Not to rain on your parade but the reality is this is a path few travel. You need someone who is experienced and local who can guide you through this. There just isn't any mail order kits of any quality that can get it done. The 292 is a good engine but to do what you want is a bit like making an boat into a car. It wasn't designed to be one. A project like this will take most folks a year or more to do. Are you up to a project of that scope? Do you have a clear idea as to what you goal is? "Horsepower greater than a 350" is a pretty vague goal. Mid 70's 350's only put out about 150 on a good day. That would be a fairly obtainable goal but my guess your looking for a bit more. If your sure this is the way to go search in the engine section of this forum. I would also check out the Stovebolt Chevy forum and the Bangshift forums.
A straight forward LS swap is far superior or if you want different a Cummins swap is a good choice.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
71BUCKET

Turbo straight 6s are a big thing in Brazil and such. There is a company that makes cast turbo manifolds for them. Just gotta do some Google-fu.
71BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Turbocharged Chevy L6s are the holy grail of inliners. Tom Lowe has a lot of key parts for this configuration. You'll find data on www.inliners.org The website of Inliners International. They have a special forum called, ''Blown and Injected'' that specializes in unnaturally aspirated L6s. Become an Inliner and you get a parts discount.
I would try the middle step of hi-performance intake [Offy, Clifford] a 4-bbl carb and headers first. Engine rebuilt and bored .030 over. [Add HEI]. You may be happy cruising with a set-up like that. My '68 C/10 Stepside has been rigged that way since 1978 [when I was in college] and it has a lot more guts than a crate 350 in my '71 GMC Jimmy.
All that being said, you could either afford to go to college or rig a turbo 292. Choice is yours.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-27-2017 at 08:20 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
jocko

Good Lord, 'why' is the only word that comes to mind. Just add two cylinders and call it a day.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Good Lord, 'why' is the only word that comes to mind. Just add two cylinders and call it a day.
Why ? Because 292's are just cool factor times ten ! Would I turbo charge one ...Not me ! But I see a Tri power 292 with some super cool goodies attached .

Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Marine-58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_C10_292 View Post
Is this possible, with enough money and expertise, sure it can be done. Think about what you need to do. 2010 Honda Civic curb weight = 2800lbs Your truck roughly 3700lbs. power to weight ratio assuming 300hp for each - Honda - 9.33 lbs per hp, Truck - 12.33 lbs per hp. You would need 400 hp to match the Honda weight ratio. Then think about suspension. Too much to write about in order to try and get a vehicle weighing roughly 900 lbs more with a higher center of gravity to handle the same. Not to even go into the drag coefficient calculations. These are very cool trucks but are not exactly wind tunnel designed.

We won't even go into what it would take for brakes/tires to make it safe at the speeds you may be talking about. Then there is driving ability/experience. Wheeling around a small car v. a top heavy truck that was designed to haul weight and corners like a dishrag, they are entirely different skill sets. (Apologies to everyone who has made all the suspension and handling improvements. Just trying to outline the hurdles.)

I'm just and old fat guy with not nearly as much experience as most of the others on this forum. Built a few hotrods and helped many friends with theirs. Strictly my opinion but girls are way more impressed with something that looks cool, is comfortable to ride in and has a good stereo. For the amount of money it would take to make your truck super fast, you could do a lot of paint/body work/customization and make this one really unique and sweet ride. Something you would want to keep for a lifetime.

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
AussieinNC

Trust me, I have performed this mod several times and will never do it again...

The engine structure will simply not stand sustained turbo pressures, even with $ 15,000 in the bottom end ! Billet crank, billet rods, forged pistons, 4 bolt crank girdle...wild head and valves...twin turbos and fule injection...and the race truck only weighed 2300 pounds with me in it...

but

These old stovebolts move around so much along their centerline its impossible to keep head gaskets or cylinder walls intact...remember, you are working with 40 year old castings...

If you want to go fast, buy a race car...

If you are looking to impress the ladies...clean the truck up, put a/c in it, new carpets and seats and a good sound system...

Nice to see a young guy interested in an old truck, but seriously...why do you need to beat these guys in a truck that weighs twice what one of their rice burners does and has half the HP...at best...remember your Physics

Have fun
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote