The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #26
Blazerowner

Re: Amp Research Powerstep

Im interested as well. Would like to put some decent steps on y 72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy_72 View Post
I ended up purchasing a set of used steps from a Jeep JK unlimited. They have a horizontal mounting surface front and rear... so i should be able to fab something up to the rocker boxes to hold them... might have to reinforce the boxes a bit but we shall see...
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #27
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
I ended up purchasing a set of used steps from a Jeep JK unlimited. They have a horizontal mounting surface front and rear... so i should be able to fab something up to the rocker boxes to hold them... might have to reinforce the boxes a bit but we shall see...
Looking forward to see pictures of your progress. What's the overall length of the Jeep steps?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #28
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Looking forward to see pictures of your progress. What's the overall length of the Jeep steps?
Sorry missed your question... The jeeps steps are a little too long but easily cut down... I still have one uncut so i will measure it tonight for you...
Evil Twin - 2006 Suzuki M109R
EvilDmax- 2018 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #29
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Update with pics...
I pretty much have these on and and working... just have to finish cutting steps to length and permanent wire them... i have tests them with the wire loose and they work fine...
As mentioned months ago when I bought these they are Wrangler JK 4 door unlimited steps... they are pretty much bolt on other than the need to be cut down to length and spaced down 5/8-3/4 inch depending on how tight you want them to ride on the body when folded up...
I prob over built my brackets etc but i didn't want them to fail on me and want my light little 250lb self to be able to use them without worry...
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #30
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Brackets... there is also another piece of the 1/2in plate that was cut and tapped and placed inside the rocker box to support this setup... forgot to get a pic of that though...
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #31
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

And now my question to you guys... When i originally started this project i wanted the boards to run wheel well to wheel well... But that just not possible with my tire size... at least the rear... so trying to decide if i should match the front up with the wheel well (assuming i dont have any clearance issues when turning) and trim the back as needed or equal space front and back depending on the how much trimming is needed in the rear?
Pics are where it needs to be in the back for now... i have a slightly bigger tire in mind so might have to be trimmed a little more and the outside of the tape mark on the front would be where the end of the plastic cap would need to be to match the back...
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #32
viking427

Once the caps are on, I dont think equal spacing will matter visually. Just cut them where the overall length and brackets fit best. Nice solution.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #33
Blazerowner

How did you go about making the reinforcement plates? I would definitely like to see more pictures.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #34
BchBlazer

I would also love to see some pictures of where and how you mounted the plates under the rocker box. Nice job!
BchBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #35
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
Once the caps are on, I dont think equal spacing will matter visually. Just cut them where the overall length and brackets fit best. Nice solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
How did you go about making the reinforcement plates? I would definitely like to see more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BchBlazer View Post
I would also love to see some pictures of where and how you mounted the plates under the rocker box. Nice job!
Thanks all
I ended up cutting them so they are 1.5" in from the wheel well openings... might need to trim a little more once i get it rolling/articulating but we shall see... its easy enough to do... even with them installed... I will get another pic of the new length.

As far as the mounting...
This is what i built:
Name:  step1.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  59.1 KB
Name:  step2.jpg
Views: 2803
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  step3.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  47.9 KB

They tucked up behind the rocker too far... so its a combo of some 1/2" flat stock, some 1/8 angle and 1/8th flat... it might be a tad too low as id like the gap to be a little tighter when they are up... buts its solid...

Also Not show is 4 additional pieces of 1/2" stock i drilled to match and tapped and put inside the rocker boxes (2 per side)...

So when installed it basically sandwiches it all together and doesnt flex or move at all... Prob over built a little... but im not a little dude and i didnt want to have to go and fix it again later...

Last edited by chevyguy_72; 06-21-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #36
coppertone

Look what Mr ups dropped off earlier today. Now I just have to figure out how I’m going to install them and wire them in.
Attached Images

coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #37
70K GMC

Cant wait to see what you come up with...
70K GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #38
coppertone

I’ll be following chevyguy_72 lead. Hopefully he can help on how he wired it in.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #39
Blazerowner

What are the part numbers for either set?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #40
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertone View Post
Look what Mr ups dropped off earlier today. Now I just have to figure out how I’m going to install them and wire them in.
What are they off of?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #41
CJM72

Any updates? Would love to see more details on this and find out what part numbers you guys are using. This is high on my list of future mods.
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #42
70K GMC

Agreed!
70K GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #43
coppertone

Sorry guys I’ve been pretty busy haven’t been on here for awhile. I just installed the door jamb switch, courtesy light harness and door jamb harness. As for the power steps I’m using, they are made for Jeep Cherokee. I’m using these because I got them for a very good price. I was kind of concerned about how I was going to wire them in,but I think that’s gonna be the easiest part. As soon as I get started on installing the steps I’ll start thread for my install.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #44
coppertone

I’ll start the thread in the 67-72 truck forum since my truck is 70 k10. I’ll let you’ll know on this thread when I do.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #45
CJM72

Quote:
Update with pics...
I pretty much have these on and and working... just have to finish cutting steps to length and permanent wire them... i have tests them with the wire loose and they work fine...
As mentioned months ago when I bought these they are Wrangler JK 4 door unlimited steps... they are pretty much bolt on other than the need to be cut down to length and spaced down 5/8-3/4 inch depending on how tight you want them to ride on the body when folded up...
I prob over built my brackets etc but i didn't want them to fail on me and want my light little 250lb self to be able to use them without worry...
Do you have a side / horizontal view of the steps both up and down? I'd love to see how it changes the look from the side. Nice work!
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #46
vanislejimmy

Did you wire these in to the courtesy light circuit? Im going to put a set on my jimmy, but can’t figure out the best way to reverse the polarity going to the motors so the step come back up when the door is closed? Any help will be appreciated
vanislejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #47
coppertone

These amp power steps are very easy to connect, positive and negative to battery terminals and purple wire to door jamb switch to control board when doors open and close.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #48
harrij4

I'm getting ready to make a run at this. The hardest part was finding a configuration of the powersteps that has either

a) brackets meant to mount on f a horizontal/flat surface (torsion boxes for the K5)
b) brackets meant to mount on the frame and extend outward.

Most of their configurations are meant to mount on a vertical inner surface of the rocker panel, which obviously isn't an option for the K5's because of the torsion boxes.

So, I used this diagram of replacement motor linkages and just generally going through the Amp Research website and looking at EVERY installation guide to see what would work best.

Scenario 'a' yields either the Wrangler, Colorado, Tundra, Cherokee, or Durango variants while scenario 'b' yields either the Forerunner, Tacoma, or H2 variants.

I'm literally carrying a tape measure around with me and trying to measure some of these cars with the critical dimensions being inside of pinch-weld to outside of rocker panel for scenario 'a' and outside of frame to outside of rocker panel for scenario 'b'.

So far, my leading contender is to mount them to the torsion boxes using either the Chevy Colorado variant or one of the wrangler variants. The Colorado has the slimmer board profile, but seems to be OBDII-triggered only. The Wrangler setup seems to be available with 12V inputs, but has a chunkier board profile. The only other tempting option is the Tundra since it doesn't require any pinch-weld bracketry. However, it's not clear whether the Tundra mounts are in plane with the road surface like the bottom of the K5 torsion boxes.

I'm going to contact AMP about the OBDII triggering and then make a call.
Attached Images

harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:36 AM   #49
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrij4 View Post
I'm getting ready to make a run at this. The hardest part was finding a configuration of the powersteps that has either

a) brackets meant to mount on f a horizontal/flat surface (torsion boxes for the K5)
b) brackets meant to mount on the frame and extend outward.

Most of their configurations are meant to mount on a vertical inner surface of the rocker panel, which obviously isn't an option for the K5's because of the torsion boxes.

So, I used this diagram of replacement motor linkages and just generally going through the Amp Research website and looking at EVERY installation guide to see what would work best.

Scenario 'a' yields either the Wrangler, Colorado, Tundra, Cherokee, or Durango variants while scenario 'b' yields either the Forerunner, Tacoma, or H2 variants.

I'm literally carrying a tape measure around with me and trying to measure some of these cars with the critical dimensions being inside of pinch-weld to outside of rocker panel for scenario 'a' and outside of frame to outside of rocker panel for scenario 'b'.

So far, my leading contender is to mount them to the torsion boxes using either the Chevy Colorado variant or one of the wrangler variants. The Colorado has the slimmer board profile, but seems to be OBDII-triggered only. The Wrangler setup seems to be available with 12V inputs, but has a chunkier board profile. The only other tempting option is the Tundra since it doesn't require any pinch-weld bracketry. However, it's not clear whether the Tundra mounts are in plane with the road surface like the bottom of the K5 torsion boxes.

I'm going to contact AMP about the OBDII triggering and then make a call.
Good luck with Amp. They were zero help when asking about installing steps on a non specked vehicle. Said they do not offer advice for installing their products on vehicles they were not intended for. Figured out the the kit that would work for my 94 C10 and 72 K10 on my own with a little help from aftermarket suppliers.
Richard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:24 AM   #50
PSYCHO_OUTLAW

subscribing
PSYCHO_OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote