The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
chris mc bride

big block springs vs sb spring

Do trucks have lighter springs for those with sb than with bb? I know cars did. Wondering if so if changing my HD springs that came in bb truck would result in lower ride. Reason asking is because working on aluminum heads and aluminum intake and know it will be abunch of weight off front end and figure it probably enough to result in already too high ride height.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: big block springs vs sb spring

Check with e.c.e. They asked me some questions when i purchased my front springs about 7 years ago. I didn't take measurements before i put my 5.3 in my 68 to note the difference but i had a sagging front corner and call e.c.e. and they had me measure to verify and they sent a replacement. My springs are for a sb and non-ac and i feel the front end is up maybe 3/4" but i made custom motor mount brackets to put the ls as far to the rear as possible.

I know the engine weights have been listed, but if i was to replace them again i would consider 6cyl non=ac springs. I would be curious to know your truck front end measurement. E.C.E. had me measure from the fender wheel lip down to the center of the hub (imagine a string line hanging along side the wheel lip and down to the center of the dust cap) This is the best way because if you think about it tire height doesn't change the measurement. Obviously if your truck had 15" stock tires and went to tall 20" tires on the front only the front end would be up a lot and weight would shift to the rear, changing this measurement. Good luck!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
zach_carver

Re: big block springs vs sb spring

Yes big blocks do require different springs, however some manufacturers will sell them to you regardless. My good friend just went through this with his factory big block C10. Mcgaughys drop springs were bottoming out, he bought ECE big block springs and its PERFECT!!!

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote