The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

"Tangerene Dream" then "Ella" and now?

Well, here we go again. I sold my '67 stepper and then I recently sold my '54 to an old friend who has been looking for a '54 to do a serious chop top mod on.

Well, I found a 1949 GMC 300 series dually 1 1/2 ton flatbed for 2 grand. It appears to be an original AZ truck because the lack of rust on the cab. All of the stainless trim is there and is in excellent shape as is the chrome grille. The cab is a 5 window and the doors don't have wing windows which is what I really wanted.

The original inline 6 is there and runs. The back of the cab around the rear window needs some serious work but everything else is in decent shape for the age of the truck.

Here is the plan and where I am asking for advice.

I want to dump the 1 1/2 ton frame and buy a S-10 long bed for the suspension and brakes. I want to make a 1/2 ton short bed out of it. I plan to rebuild the original 248 and use the 3 or 4 speed manual. (I am not sure which) I have read about flywheel swaps for going with a newer (I.E. 700R4) automatics but not sure I want to make a automatic out of it, but I did on my '67 stepper, so things can change.

Now, the rear axel is a 2 speed so did they put different transmissions in the medium duty trucks back then vs. the light duty ones? I know without knowing exactly which transmission is in there, it is only a guess but are the tranny's out of those years "compatible" (gear ratio wise) with the S-10 rear ends? In other words could I take the yoke from the '48 and have it grafted onto an S-10 drive shaft for fit and length and retain decent gear ratios?

I will have to locate a decent GMC bed and running boards but this is a very doable project that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I will get some pics tomorrow and post them.

Thanks for any advice and anything to look out for.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 03-29-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
47 Fasttoys

Re: "Tangerene Dream" then "Ella" and now?

Being a 1 1/2 ton doesn't it have the larger front fenders and hood? I think anything larger then 1 ton is larger from the cab forward. This would make an S-10 swap a challenge.
Rob
Old 03-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Being a 1 1/2 ton doesn't it have the larger front fenders and hood? I think anything larger then 1 ton is larger from the cab forward. This would make an S-10 swap a challenge.
Rob
I don't think so. It appears to have the standard GMC front end. I think the "larger" front end had a different grille and trim package.

D

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
MARTINSR

I don't think so, I believe the grille in my 3100 came from a 3800 (or larger if there is such a thing) if I remember.

The hood and fenders don't look that much different I never knew the hood was different until Mr48chev posted photos of one on his 1/2 ton.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
mr48chev

The big trucks have the back corner of the hood coming down to a point like you see on this truck

1/2 though 1 ton have hoods like this:

The difference is pretty obvious when you try to put a big truck hood on a 1/2 ton

If your GMC is a big truck and the nose is really nice I'd think about hanging a later C-10 frame under it rather than an S-10 as the fenders are wider and should fit the C-10 tread width. You would have to widen the rear fenders or widen the box but either could be done. It's something to think about.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The big trucks have the back corner of the hood coming down to a point like you see on this truck

1/2 though 1 ton have hoods like this:

The difference is pretty obvious when you try to put a big truck hood on a 1/2 ton

If your GMC is a big truck and the nose is really nice I'd think about hanging a later C-10 frame under it rather than an S-10 as the fenders are wider and should fit the C-10 tread width. You would have to widen the rear fenders or widen the box but either could be done. It's something to think about.
Thank you for the photos, it really helps. I will check when I get photos and post later what I find.

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Richard8971

OK, checked and it does have the bigger front end. Does anyone know of a chart that explains how much different they are? Is putting a C-10 frame under the medium duty trucks common?

D
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
mr48chev

My little book with all those interesting specifications in it wasn't where I thought it was but I'm still sorting and hunting.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
99monte

WOW! That chrome grill looks AWESOME!
99monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
whitedog76

Try these links. Most information out there is Chevy specific. I'm not for sure how the chassis models correlate to the GMC's but they should be similar.

Put big bolt bodies on 4x4 frames is actually pretty common AND totally cool.

If I'm not mistaken, the cabs and grill should be the same, with the exception being the COE trucks. The hoods and fenders are big truck specific.

If you can find a 1/2 ton to 1 ton chassis, it might be a good starting point also.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...5559mm441.html

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...to/53index.htm

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0005.html
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99monte View Post
WOW! That chrome grill looks AWESOME!
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to provide information.

I did some budget predictions and some thoughts on the final look. I think being a 1 1/2 ton it would be best to restore it the way it is. I am looking for a project for my new body shop and I think a big 'ole truck would get lots of attention. My reasonings are that this is a VERY complete truck, down to the near perfect grille, trim and working 2-speed rear end.

If this was a 1 ton with the "smaller" hood and fenders a 1/2 ton conversion would be easier. But to someone who knew these old trucks they would know right away that it wasn't a 1/2 ton.

So I'm going to restore this truck and go vivid canary for the color.

I'm going to start tearing down soon so ill be posting update pics.

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 03-31-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Changed paragraph