The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: What do I do with an over restored truck?
Keep it in garage forever 6 20.69%
Sell it 2 6.90%
Ignore the resto, use it to haul gravel 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2002, 02:56 PM   #1
jku72

Over restored truck, options?

I have a 1970 CST longhorn, which I formerly used to do chores, and work. It is a great truck, but after having it all made like new, I am at a loss. What should I do?

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
dubie

If I sunk a wack of cash into a truck like these, you can bet for damn sure I would be driving it whenever possible. I don't know if I would haul gravel and eberything else with it, but I would definately cruise all the time.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:10 PM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

Drive It!! thats what GM built them for.....for us to enjoy and drive!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:16 PM   #4
colohusker

If by hauling gravel, you mean a bag or two from Home Depot, certainly! I'd defintely drive it every chance I got, of course, I drive my beater every chance I get as well.

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #5
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

If it's a show pony then make it one, but if you just wanted a very sweet truck to drive to the store and cruise night, then use it for that. We have all spent way more that 10,000 on a new truck just to torture it, you are coming out ahead no matter what you do. It's got character, and not everyone else has one.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
Southpa

Over restored as in finished the job, I assume. Are you sure you have done EVERYTHING you possibly can in the restoration? I'm still working on mine, but when I replace something I always try to go one better than the original. ie. replaced stock steering column with a tilt column, I had bad front crossmember brackets so I replaced the front end with one that had disc brakes. Replaced leaky, cracked windshield with a new tinted one, installed front sway bar. See what I mean?, my truck has more options now.

Anyway, if you are happy with the job you can either sell it at a predictable loss to what you've invested (thats the way it usually goes), and buy another one that needs work. OR just drive it and be happy and put your tools, time, money and effort into another hobby like boat building, or something.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:52 PM   #7
dion
72 Cheyenne

Drive it! But be careful. I've put more money into my truck than I'll admit but I still use it as my daily driver. I put a bed mat in so I can put small things in the back and I park far away from other cars etc.. Once my truck is done I'll just by another project to work on. I'd say just keep it and get a new project.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:32 PM   #8
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

I was thinking the same thing when I bought my longhorn. Thing was perfect, 32k miles. could deiced what to do, park it? Sell it to a chevy deal to display in their show room? drive it?.....

finally i decided to drive it.. driving these trucks dont wear them out. lack of maintenance and abuse does. so, now the truck has 44k on it, and is in ever better shape than it was. i have fixed almost every small detail. i drive it too, no as a daily driver, but everything is a 60 mile round trip here. other than the price of gas and the 13 mpg I dont even thing twice about driving it.

How much did you put into your truck getting it all nice? 10k? 20k?
Even at 20k you are far ahead of most people who are spending 30 and 40k on a new truck. And it will last 4 times as long.

this is the way IM thinking, and as long as i stick to this idea the truck will be like new for ever

something broke>? fix it right with good parts

Maintenance follow the book. Actually change the trany and rear end fluid like it says ( im suprised how many dont do this). grease the hell out of everything with a zert.

Rust, jump on it immediately, usually I do this after I wash it, just go around with the touch up paint. Have the truck undercoated, and touch up ever 1 or 2 years.

Here is something i learned a few years ago that i didnt know. There are little drains under your door, and on the bottom of the rocker panels clean them out with a hack saw blade. this will keep water from pooling= rust.

I dont think id be hauling anything like a load of rocks, unless maybe i had a plastic bed liner that i could put in and take out.

paint.. i look at paint the same way i look at tires. paint wears out. when it does repaint it before the metal gets damaged..

lol this all seems simple, but i guess laziness gets the best of us
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:44 PM   #9
jku72

I just feel guilty driving it, and using it. I spent a lot on a frame off, because it was such a good work truck before. Now, it is so shiny, I even wipe my feet before I get in, and my wife was complaining because I dont even dare carry small things for fear of scratching the furniture like bedwood. Now, I have a 1 ton truck with a big block, too heavy to race, too nice to work.
I dont dare drive it in snow, or salt, so that leaves half a year I should not drive it.
I think it is meant to work, and I need to just get over the perfection, and go back to using it, and then in 10 years, enjoy doing another restoration. Hell with it, I'm hauling whatever, and just pretend it's 1970, and I got a new truck.
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #10
ckhd

Let me drive it. I'll put it's first new scratch in it and then you won't be afraid to drive it!

Just kidding. I'm working on a frame of of my '69, and you bet your butt I'll drive the thing when I'm done. I'll even use the four-wheel-drive now and then.

I'll be careful with it and take care of it like mtDave says, but I don't believe in trailer queens or garage hermits. If you have a vehicle, drive it.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:35 PM   #11
PushinPebbles
My dad's 68

Hey! if ya can't drive it, sell it
67 C-10 SWB 355 built T-350 tranny hurst shifter 17x8in KMC's on michelins, clear tails and back up lights slammed**UPDATE i have decided on my bag setup and will post further info when i recieve all the parts
88 1/2 ton suburban 4x4 350/700R-4*having a 9 in lift w/ 38 in tires
4 12 inch Lightning Audios
87 silverado 3/4ton jacked up 10-12 inches black and rubberized bed coating 35 in michelans ******************************
Dad's truck
68 C-10 stepside, 468 BB, tubbed, weld wheels, Nason black,lots more
grand dads truck 68 C-10 stepside
fuel inj. 350/700R-4*soon in audi silver*
84 toyota pickup 22R 5 speed 2WD slammed, shaved and all the body lines filled w/ buickGN scoop,bout to be sprayed in 2003 mustang green metallic w/ silver flames
S/N=BIGGYTYME@aol.com
(hydros)
"No fat chics, truck will scrape"
PushinPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:24 PM   #12
moose

IM restoring my 69 frame up exepted cab. Plan on selling new truck to drive 69 for adaily driver and find a blazer for a prodject

long live 67-72 trucks

quote from ckhd
[I don't believe in trailer queens or garage hermits].
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:19 PM   #13
ThreeQuarter

I'm with Dave. There's a way to drive/use these pickups that doesn't wear them out. Of course, you always run the risk of things happening that are beyond your control, like wrecking it. But that's what (classic auto) insurance is for. If you actually enjoy keeping it garaged and using as a showpiece (Cameron's dad in Ferris Bueler's Day Off) then more power to you. Otherwise, it takes some amount of risk to enjoy these pickups.

I had a children's book when I was a kid (bear with me here) that was called "Rabbit's New Rug" in which Mr. Rabbit bought a new rug and invited all of his friends to see it, but nobody was allowed on it. Nobody had any fun and everybody stopped coming to see Mr. Rabbit. Then one day he decided that friends were more important than that rug and then they all got to party on the rug. It was then that everyone could fully appreciate how nice the rug was. I still think of that book when my anal tendencies want to take over. :p LOL!

Last edited by ThreeQuarter; 06-27-2002 at 10:01 PM.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:51 PM   #14
CoryM

You got the right idea, drive the thing. After you get a door ding or a good scratch you will stop cringing everytime you think about hauling something. Add some antirust stuff (undercoating, grease etc) and treat the truck the way its meant to be treated. I know what your saying though, but hey, its only $$$$. Its already well spent (so long as you drive the truck). Maybe buy a $750 beater truck for the real nasty stuff? or a easily removable bedliner.
Happy Trucking.
CoryM

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:49 PM   #15
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Get a trailer to tow behind it if you want to haul stuff.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:07 PM   #16
WORNBRAKES

You could always use the '69 K5 beater you list for work. Even better, sound like you have a reason to buy another truck. Then drive the longhorn every chance you get outside of work.

69 C10 305/350
71 K5 Basket case
75 K10 Rescue **Parting out**
77 MG Midget **Parting out**
15 6.7L Cummins

Last edited by WORNBRAKES; 06-27-2002 at 11:09 PM.
WORNBRAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #17
mikej71
Unregistered User

I don't have to worry about snow and salt, so I'm not sure how I'd handle that. But I would definitely drive it the rest of the time.
I would love to have that nice of a truck to drive all the time.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:12 PM   #18
popeye72

I don't drive mine as often as I should but I do like driving it!! Gotta do some more touch up but not in a hurry yet.
Have fun