The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
monte0185

Which is harder? Cab roof or header panel replacement.

I have a delima. I have a cab that im pulling the A/C dash out of just to have incase and it has a good header panel and roof. My roof needs a header panel desperatley. I would really like to know which would be easier to replace. The whole roof section or the header panel. I thought I would cut the roof in about the middle of the A-pillars and the middle of the rear window and just cut mine in the same place and weld the new on on my cab. I know you have to brace the cab with supports but since ive never done either of these Im curios to see which would be easier.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Last edited by special-K; 04-30-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Fixed pictures...It helps to hit "enter" between pasting pics.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
hchad18

Re: Which is harder? Cab roof or header panel replacement.

I would do the whole roof. That would give me piece of mind that I got it all. Just my opinion.
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I'd do the whole cab.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
hchad18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I'd do the whole cab.
Even better.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
monte0185

I would just replace the cab but the donor practically has the whole floorboard rotted out and Id have to try to get a title for it. The title could be had its just not readily available. There is a gap between the inner rockers and the edge of the floor that is about 3 inches wide on each side. The drivers side is worse than that actually. For some of you its probably a pretty easy fix but all mine needs besides the header panel is outer rockers. The rest of mine dosent have a spec of rust anywhere. Well im lying the doors have had it. Drivers side is split at the upper hinge and passenger side the bottom is rusted out on.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
hchad18

I always say I've got more time than money. As long as you measure, measure and then measure again, and check windshield and back glass fit. I don't think it would be that hard. I wouldn't recommend for a beginner but for someone that's done other sheet metal replacement it shouldn't be that bad.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
monte0185

Well Im a begginner at sheet metal but im a decent welder. So who wants to come to memphis and help?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I think I rather replace the floor on one then replace the dash and roof on another. You could get some of those rose rivets and transfer the vin to the new cab.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
monte0185

No Plans on replacing the dash. I'm probably going to replace it on my SWB. I just want to get the rust out of the roof. I need to get that done before I replace the windshield.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Skirkpat

If the floors are rusted, the header will be there shortly, I would hate to put a roof on something to have it rust out in a year or two....My opinion, find a TX or OK truck with a good cab, part out the stuff you don't need.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
rob32472

As far as the VIN plate goes take the side panel off the cab and reinstall it on the new one. That is what eb did on project cod fish and that way no one will know and you dont have to find those rivets. Just my two cents. It boils down to two things time and money..... The more you have of one less you need of the other.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
monte0185

Well i'm going to try to get the cab home this weekend and see just how bad it is. I might be able to convince myself to fix it and not bother with the one I have now. It just urks me that the header panel is rusted on mine and hardly anything else is.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
bigsnookmaster

If your mechanically inclined,cutting the roof is no problem.I chopped my 67 years ago, that was a pita! I did a roof replacement on my 68 2yrs ago and it was pretty easy.Measure,again,and again, paying special attention to the front and back window openings.If you get them right the door openings will be right. I didn't brace the cab and had no problems at all. If you do this,on the inside of the back post,after you cut it,tack weld strips of sheet metal on the inside to give you a backer,so there aren't any open gaps to try to fill. Believe me it's almost impossible to make the cuts perfect because of the angles and curves,and if you have to raise it to make the window openings,you'll be glad you did this.Good luck!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
monte0185

Sounds like if im gonna try this im gonna need all the luck i can get. The backer is a good Idea. I wouldnt have thought of that. My thought was if you measure it out the same and cut the same places on both roofs everything should line up and go right back together. Well in a perfect world maybe. Things never seem to go back together quite like i had envisioned.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
bigsnookmaster

If you decide to do this,shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone# if you need any advice to walk you through it. Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
monte0185

Thanks!! Ill do that. If it would ever quit raining I might get a chance to work on it again.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #17
Huck

If you need a roof, I have a perfect rust free white roof cut below the front windshield front corners and below the rear window so it's very solid and straight. $100.--in kY
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
sjarrett71

I'm finding out my upper cab is bad also. If you cut yours and replace it, post up pics and stuff and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
If you need a roof, I have a perfect rust free white roof cut below the front windshield front corners and below the rear window so it's very solid and straight. $100.--in kY
Huck I appreciate it but I have a donor cab. What I need is a shop to work in LOL. I am so tired of the rain around here. I just looked at the forecast and it looks like rain for another week!! Oh well. Im pretty broke for the rest of the month anyway. Gotta save some money for the honeymoon first of June. But after that I got nothing but time and a really hot summer im betting.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
I'm finding out my upper cab is bad also. If you cut yours and replace it, post up pics and stuff and let us know how it goes.
Oh I definatley plan on it!!! Either way I go.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Mburgess57

Yes, post lots of detailed pics. I have the same thing going on with my truck as we speak.
Mburgess57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mburgess57 View Post
Yes, post lots of detailed pics. I have the same thing going on with my truck as we speak.
Wanna come fix mine then? LMAO!!! Where in TN are ya? Im thinking I need to get a group of people together after my honeymoon for a roof replacement party!! You know break in the new wife right!!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Mburgess57

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Wanna come fix mine then? LMAO!!! Where in TN are ya? Im thinking I need to get a group of people together after my honeymoon for a roof replacement party!! You know break in the new wife right!!
I live in Dickson (1 hr west of Nash). LOL I will bring my wife and maybe they can keep each other occupied. Did you say you were going to Disney? I just got back about 2 weeks ago best trip ever, 2nd honey moon. I will bring the welder, you bring the drinks.

Last edited by Mburgess57; 05-05-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mburgess57 View Post
I live in Dickson (1 hr west of Nash). LOL I will bring my wife and maybe they can keep each other occupied. Did you say you were going to Disney? I just got back about 2 weeks ago best trip ever, 2nd honey moon. I will bring the welder, you bring the drinks.
I already have a welder, drinks and several grills depending on what you like to eat!!! Bring the wife kids and whatever else!!

Yeah were going to disney. This is my second time for disneyworld and her 7th or 8th i think for it. Ive been to disneyland a bunch as well. My grandparents used to live about 10 min from there. Shes a disney nut so what better place to go.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
Mburgess57

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
I already have a welder, drinks and several grills depending on what you like to eat!!! Bring the wife kids and whatever else!!

Yeah were going to disney. This is my second time for disneyworld and her 7th or 8th i think for it. Ive been to disneyland a bunch as well. My grandparents used to live about 10 min from there. Shes a disney nut so what better place to go.
Sweet! Just a wife, no kids (yet).

Yeah we will have to see what we can do. Congrats and I will start posting pics and keep you updated, you do the same. Well almost quitting time and I am going to look at a cab on my way home today.