The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #1
jarrodblake

Accessory switch panel ideas?

I am looking for ideas on mounting a bunch of aftermarket switches. I am building a c30 car hauler and I am looking to mount several switches maybe even gauges, vents and anything else I can think of. I am looking a mounting at least 12 switched maybe more. So I am looking for ideas on where to mount them.

My first thought was to make a small switch panel and mount them under the dash, however I came across a ebay ad for a switch panel for a Under Dash Switch Panel 64,65,66 chevy truck it runs the entire length of the dash. Has anyone done this in a 67-72 truck?

My second thought was a overhead console with a switch panel.

I thought about some kind of center console style switch panel but I don't think I would like it with the bench seat and manual trans.

So does anyone have any good ideas or pics of what they did to mount switches?

switches that I plan on using.

I want to have light bar that lights up the back of the bed mounted on the headache rack.

Lights mounted in the bed that would light up the mounting points on a car.

Two winches one on the bed and a recovery winch on the front bumper.

Secondary gas tank.

Fog lights.

Windshield mounted spotlights.

Maybe a forward facing light bar with emergency lights/ clearance lights.

onboard air.

Air ride switches.

Maybe a onboard welder.

A small power crane hoist mounded on the headache rack?

Maybe tool box lights?
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
notsolo

Re: Accessory switch panel ideas?

Amazing fab, and welding skills on your floor, trans hump and under dash extention. IMO It would be a Shame to add switches under dash, seems like the radio ash tray area is already butchered, modify
and recess that area in the center adding your switch panel. Radio over head or in console.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
County

I have one of these setups in my Jeep. Really nice and solid. Not just the panel, but an underhood relay box. You don't do any cutting into the existing wiring at all, and all loads are on their own fused relays. Also has a cutoff relay if it senses your starting battery getting low.

Not super cheap, but works great and don't have to worry about killing the jeep if I forget to turn off accessory lights or compressor.

http://www.4x4spod.com/default.asp
County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
clay68c10

I’d say that under dash panel would work. Whatever looks good to you.
Electrically, I’m with County. I would do some kind of add on fuse and relay panel to keep it all separate from the original harness. I work on emergency vehicles and that’s how we do it. Much safer and simpler that way. The Painless Circuit Boss comes to mind, but there are other options out there as well.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
kwmech

I got a few of these recently for my tow truck. (made up a 6 bank panel). The way they interlock, you could make a trimmed out panel in any length you want. The Contura switches are just about the best around. Towards the bottom of the page. You will need 2 of the tools..otherwise the switches will not come out of the panel after you snap them in.

http://www.foothilloffroad.com/elect.../switches.html
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

I put the controls for my air bags on the bottom of the bench seat. (Photo 1) Works well for me but, with 12 switches having to memorize their location could be daunting. An added benefit I didn't realize when I installed them is how easy it is to reach them when standing outside the truck. A similar idea would be to put them on the side of the seat base like the controls on air ride seats in semi trucks. Which would better from outside the truck for operation. Or break them up into more than one location.
Good luck. Sounds like a cool project!
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
AJC

I'm making one like this for my Holmes 440 wrecker. It could probably be expanded. The image is of one off a 74 c30.

Name:  imageproxy.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  34.8 KB

Last edited by AJC; 03-07-2018 at 02:32 PM.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
'70_402

I've used the SPod in all my 4x4 builds.. top notch.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
sick472

If you could mount the switch rack overhead it would be the most accessible. As my belly gets rounder, bending down is less appealing. lol. Maybe a radio and ashtray delete would give you enough room for the switches at least? I mounted my radio for another project under the dash in a console container that was originally intended for a boat. The radio has a remote so I don't have to bend much to operate it and it looks like it belongs. I used the original radio hole for gages. After market gage clusters could easily be mounted above the dash and look good there.

Something like this works well to relocate the radio or you could even use it for switches...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Dual...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
jarrodblake

I just came across this sexy beast in heavy haulers. I may have to do something similar. I could mount the switches where he has the hvac stuff.

Anyone else have any good pics for inspiration?
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote