The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
JHT67

What to look for?

My daughter really likes these older trucks and I wouldn't mind trying to find her one that we could work on together. So I was wondering what types of things do I need to look out for on one of these trucks, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks for any advice and or direction.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: What to look for?

Yeah, I get to reply first! you will see the gambit of options in the build page. It always helps to map out your project. Based upon the limited info provided it sounds like you want a daily driver for your daughter to build/work on together (nice goal).

That means you need to improve the driveability and safety of the truck. Typically this means improving the brakes and handling of the truck. Next is reliability. This is either rebuilding or upgrading the drivetrain. The next thing i would look at is safety, which are seatbelts, steering, lights etc. Now this is a very high level view, and in my opinion.

THE GOOD: the looks, the cool factor, and to me personally the adaptability to the above. You can stuff a SBC/LS with some effort but at the same time there is the cool factor of an inline six. A good rebuild will make a stout motor.

THE BAD: Some of the little parts needed can be difficult to find or the repop stuff quality is something to be desired. You have to remember that this is a 50+ year old truck and the creature comforts won't be there.

THE UGLY: Rust. Anywhere water/gunk can accumulate. I believe everything starts at the frame. if its bad, you gotta find a good one or go possibly go the S10 route. Typical problem areas that i've seen are the inner/outer cab corners bottom of the doors, floors, and lower front of the cab. Unfortunately, unless you head west, you're probably not going to find a truck out east that doesn't have some if not all of this issue.

Granted this is just my opinion and i'm sure there will be other things pointed out that i missed.

Cool goal and good luck!
iowaboynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
JHT67

I like the idea of the inline 6, I too think it'd be cool and to maybe to keep her in check a little. When I was looking for a 67-72, I was looking all over the place, Ive always wanted to take a road trip for a buy, and how cool would a father, daughter road trip be! I most definitely need to get into the build threads in this section.
Thanks for the info
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
JHT67

Should these trucks have the rosette rivets on the vin plate?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

No on rosette welds. But are you talking about AD or TF trucks?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
JHT67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
No on rosette welds. But are you talking about AD or TF trucks?
What does AD or TF stand for?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
OrrieG

GM marketing titles for the two series. Advanced Design 47-55.1, Task Force 55.2 - 59. After 1959 the marketing guys ran out of imagination and they are just "light trucks". The larger AD and TF are sometimes refered to Big Bolts too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

This sub forum (the ONLY one that does so) covers two entirely different generations of Chevy trucks. The answers to your questions may be different depending which generation you're asking about. So, which are you asking about?!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
mr48chev

Along with what Dan said it also depends on who answers the question. Orrie and Ogre are going to give you an answer for a Task Force truck while I'll probably give an answer reflecting what you would do on an Advanced Design truck and Dan will go back and read the question twice to give the best answer he cancome up with.

Things to look for or look out for:

1. Rust: Rust is not a finish on a truck it is deterioration of the metal. Certain models are prone to rust in specific spots. The AD trucks almost always have a rusted rear cab corner. not a biggie but something to fix. They also tend to rust in the floor boards and in the kick panel area where the outer panel is fastened to the inner panel.

2. Frame not hacked up due to prior mods. I've seen some real butcher jobs over the years including the frame on one 53 with a big section of the top rail torched out because they had put a 390 Ford in the truck. The guys talk frame swaps but i am not a fan of frame swaps unless you either don't have a frame or your stock 3100 (short bed) frame is hacked to where it isn't usable. There are just better ways of building these trucks than cobbling them on a different frame.

3. Suspect paperwork but i think by reading your comments you are wise to that. Know what distinguishes certain years and print out the pages that give detailed info on vin numbers on these trucks.

4 don't pay extra for added on items like wheels and tires that you don't intend to use or your daughter thinks are ugly. I see too many sellers now who run to the tire store and throw on a set of oversize rims and tires thinking that they can jack the price of a truck up twice or three times the cost of the rims and tires. Also don't let some would be seller convince you or your daughter that the worn out paint with rust spots is "great patina" and adds value. That is total nonsense that a lot of the new to the hobby guys seem to subscribe to now.

Mostly have fun with it, build her a safe truck and post plenty of photos.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
FarmerSid

Great points mr48! Especially #4.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
67GMCkid

And be leary of the term "Barn Find" everything is a barn find these days regardless of where it came from, (horse pasture, Driveway, car lot or climate controlled garage in an up scale development)..
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
OrrieG

these trucks are a great first project because they are relatively simple, and have lots of room to work around. On a TF you need to look for:

Rust - headlight eyebrows, front fenders at the bottom by door, lower door hinge pockets, firewall below the battery (on northern trucks the whole area below the point it turns back towards the trans), rear cab corners are usual area. In the rust belt you can add eyebrow over the windshield, a pillars, sill below the rear window, steps and frame rot where the cross brace and spring mounts are. Fleetside beds, at the front and rear cross braces, and over the fender, and rear corners. Step side over the fender lip and where fender attaches to the bed. If it's been sitting, gas tank might be an issue too.

Mechanical, MR48 covered it TF is about the same. Look for poor six to v8 conversions.

Wiring, it will be brittle and a fire waiting to happen.

Stock suspension is pretty bullet proof, including the brakes, but does wear out. Good news is replacement parts are still made.

Same with steering.

Minimum upgrades I would do are brakes, change single mc to dual unit, and wiring.

Most of the parts for these trucks are reproduced, major exceptions are fleetside bed sides (end and tailgate are same as 60-67) and misc frame brackets.

Good luck and have fun when you get one.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
pvienneau

So are you interested in the AD or the TF?

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
JHT67

Oh boy, sounds like we've got plenty to consider. I'll have to talk to her about it, show her some more pictures and do some window shopping. I'm Thinking she's mor of an AD kind of girl, but we were looking at both and she liked them all, luckily she wasn't realy interested in the shiny ones $$ .