The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Root2812

Mustang 2 steering linkage piece

Hi guys. So I知 new to this stuff and I知 having trouble locating the correct part to make the linkage in my swap. I have a power mustang 2 rack and pinion. I知 trying to make steering linkage and I see all these terms like Double D, smooth, round, and splined. None of them look like a match for what I need for my rack. I知 attaching a photo in hopes you guys can tell me what to look for. I知 looking for a steering joint to fit this so I can then buy shaft and make the linkage.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Mustang 2 steering linkage piece

never seen that end before .

i just did a power rack to man rack swap on a 87 mustang and there both splined . other than needing a new u-joint end to go to the smaller shaft on the man rack it was a easy swap over .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
never seen that end before .

i just did a power rack to man rack swap on a 87 mustang and there both splined . other than needing a new u-joint end to go to the smaller shaft on the man rack it was a easy swap over .
Seems like anytime I can’t figure something out I ask and then immediately find my answer. After a while of searching I found the answer on speedway motors. What threw me off is the rack is supposed to be 93 mustang at the newest but it can’t be with that joint style. It’s called Ford V or Mustang V. Turns out ford went to that in 1994.

I bought my mustang 2 kit from Fatman Fabrications and that’s the rack they sent even though the instructions said it was a 93 rack. At least now I know what I’m looking for.

Last edited by Root2812; 06-21-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
sweetk30

i hate it when they sell something but substitute a part .

i got a engine here now in a project for a guy . he told them 1987 mustang front drive system . they stuffed a 94-95 only mustang timing cover on it . we didnt feel like swapping it and redoing all the gaskets / seals and stuff . so i had a friend whip up a custom 1 off water pump pulley . got a smaller less bulky looking water pump and still a bolt on swap if this one ever fails .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
i hate it when they sell something but substitute a part .

i got a engine here now in a project for a guy . he told them 1987 mustang front drive system . they stuffed a 94-95 only mustang timing cover on it . we didnt feel like swapping it and redoing all the gaskets / seals and stuff . so i had a friend whip up a custom 1 off water pump pulley . got a smaller less bulky looking water pump and still a bolt on swap if this one ever fails .
I’ve been really disappointed with Fatman Fabrications lack of quality control. They have a 10 day policy for missing or incorrect parts. My project is very slow so by the time I figured out I was missing 2 small spacers they wouldn’t do anything for me other than send me a picture and a measurement so I could get them machined some place. That was years ago because the project got sidelined and then I had to build my motor. Just now am I getting to steering linkage and find this issue.

I’m thinking this rack might not be their fault though. According to some info I found the 93 rack has a splined shaft and SAE threads for the tie rod ends where the 94-04 rack has the ford v shaft and metric tie rod threads. I checked and my rack has SAE threads but ford V shaft. I looked at the sticker on the rack which said who made it but no part number. It’s a remanufactured cardone rack so someone screwed up someplace. It should be ok for me though. I will buy a joint to connect the DD shaft to the ford V but I know if I ever have to replace my rack I’ll probably need a new joint for splines. It could be worse I guess.

I came up with two more questions for everyone. I looked at the website for the company that remanufactured the steering rack and it says my brand new LS1 power steering pump calls for power steering fluid but it says fords use Mercon ATF. I’ve got the borgeson valve kit to dial the pressure down already. What fluid should I use? I am leaning toward using power steering fluid as called for by the pump.

My second question is, the rack has the ford v shaft that 3/4inch. Can I used 3/4 double d shaft to link to my column or is that unadvisable? I see people saying they use 1 inch double d shaft and I don’t want it to be weak but the smaller shaft would be nice in my tight engine bay.