The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
ohmaback

timing cover question

Ok, I have a 65 SWB w/ a 327(?), installed HEI dizzy, and am trying to time it, runs good by the ear but I would like to know where its at.T/C has no timing tab, mark on balancer is @ 12:00 at TDC on #1 cyl.read up on it says s/b able to look down from the gap between water pump and T/C, no gap and no tab. should I have a long w/p and a correct T/C?Name:  IMG_0210.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  43.3 KB
ohmaback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: timing cover question

That 12 O'clock timing mark position was used mostly on later 70's & 80's engines that all had long water pumps. Sounds like you've got a harmonic balancer (but none of the other parts) off one of those engines. Or the outer ring of your harmonic balancer has slipped so the timing mark is no longer in the correct location.

Rather than mess around changing out the timing cover & water pump, I think you'd be better off swapping the harmonic balancer for one with the 2 O'clock timing location and adding a corresponding bolt-on timing tab.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree.

As an slight alternative. If you can get #1 piston at exactly TDC, you can cut a new groove in the balancer to line up with '0' on the bolt on timing tab that will be at about 2 O'clock. Then either highlight that mark, or fill the other mark so you don't get them confused.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I agree.

As an slight alternative. If you can get #1 piston at exactly TDC, you can cut a new groove in the balancer to line up with '0' on the bolt on timing tab that will be at about 2 O'clock. Then either highlight that mark, or fill the other mark so you don't get them confused.
Problem is that the only real accurate way of doing this is to pull the head and use a dial indicator. Course I guess you could use a piston stop but there is some calculations you need to and a degree wheel. For eveyday use and to get close, you could probably fudge a little by making 2 marks on the balancer for the forward and back stop, then split that in half. Should be within a degree or two accuracy. Close enough for what you are probably trying to do. Not sure if what I just typed makes any sense to you though.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

A piston stop is perfectly fine for checking the accuracy of the timing marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree.

Just be sure to turn the engine over by hand and not with the starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
A piston stop is perfectly fine for checking the accuracy of the timing marks.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Just be sure to turn the engine over by hand and not with the starter
Uh, yeah....what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Also you can order an aftermarket timing tab indicator and rescribe the TDC mark on the h-balancer. Doesn't really matter where as long as the scribe mark lines up with the "0" at TDC. You could even put a timing tape on it.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
ohmaback

man does time fly, thanks for all the replies. I drive a semi for a living,and have been gone for a while[under statement], so... I do think I will do the tab and scribe method for now, but I have acquired an early t/c that has 2 timing tabs oh it, looks to be factory, anyone seen this before? I will try to post a pick manana, if the turkey and fixins dont get me first, have a great thanksgiving.
ohmaback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
cableguy0

Your cheapest and easiest way to fix your problem is to just swap the balancer to the proper one with the timing mark at the 2 oclock position and get a bolt on aftermarket timing tab. You will be able to do everything for under 50 bucks. You can get a brand new balancer from rockauto for 32 bucks. The timing tab in summit brand is 1.95 and will bolt down using the bolts in your stock timing cover. No need for any BS or gaskets. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote