The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
nail pounder

TF AC decisions

After this past summer I've decided to install ac/heat in my 58 over the winter. Looking for opinions on brand. I'm looking at lmc, old air and vintage air, but I'm open to other options. I'm more interested in an easier install and cold air, this will be a driver truck so I won't be trying to hide hoses etc. I do like the deluxe controls, I've saved 2k for this project and only want to do this once so I'm not trying to piecemeal one together. I have a gen1 SBC. I did the search option and read everything I could, figured I'd start a new thread rather than bring back one of the many old ones. Thanks in advance for your help.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: TF AC decisions

There is a Vendor in Ca. that sells Vintage Air at a discount to forum members. MCBMATT advertises in the Vendor Marketplace. Give him a PM and He will take good care of you, plus be able to answer ALL the questions you could have.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Vintage Air.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
There is a Vendor in Ca. that sells Vintage Air at a discount to forum members. MCBMATT advertises in the Vendor Marketplace. Give him a PM and He will take good care of you, plus be able to answer ALL the questions you could have.
Ok cool. I'll get ahold of him.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
55cruiser

Vintage Air got mine from MCBMATT 2 years ago no issues
55cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:09 AM   #6
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55cruiser View Post
Vintage Air got mine from MCBMATT 2 years ago no issues
How was the install?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
55cruiser

The install is trying, because my truck was also finished. But is certainly do able. fitting up under the dash with the unit, hoses and control. Read the instructions and then re-read them before you start. I think the Vintage Air is a great product had 1 in a 40 Ford sedan for a number of years.: I am 70 years old and I did it so you wont have any problems. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
_Ogre

i've had vintage air for 32000 miles without a problem of theirs (my problems were self inflicted)
i did a hybrid system just to be a little more stealth, but they have a surefit kit for tf trucks
rob at vintage air is one of the most helpful vendors you will find around and definitely knows his stuff

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Also think about how many days will you REALLY need it. I gave up on AC and found it's really not that big of a deal without it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
_Ogre

idk martinsr, maybe in cali you can tough it out without ac
i never had ac in a classic until 58 truk, but i do enjoy it even in michigan
i'm ok up to about 95* cruising, much above that gets a little sticky

i got my ac working the day before my 1st hot rod power tour in 2011
104* w/ 90% humidity in cocoa beach, 105* in valdosta, 105* in montgomery, 104* in nashville and 104* in indy
every event had a 1 to 3 hr que going in, drivers in non ac cars were drenched in sweat and beat whenever they got to the events
each power tour after that was equally hot in the southern states and most of them are on asphalt parking lots
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Oh hell yeah, there are places you HAVE TO HAVE IT, All over America, I have been there believe me. But that's why I ask the question. We have many different "needs" some aren't needs at all but just wants. For others it's a MUST HAVE. Believe me, I have been all over America, Phoenix Arizona, I LITERALLY had the the glue fail and the soles fall off my shoes in MINUTES of getting out of the car at a park. No, I understand the need, just checking with the OP what are his real needs.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
nail pounder

I hear ya MartinSr and you're probably right, but I'm with Orge on this one. I want to be comfortable no matter what time of year. In my 66 C20, the heater kicks butt, but I always park it for the summer because 90°-95° is about my comfort threshold. Nothing worse than getting out of the vehicle all sweaty. I plan to make the 58 my daily driver (eventually) so it needs a few bells and whistles. I just pulled the 66 out of the garage a week ago then all of a sudden it hits 98° at the coast and 104° at my house. It's cooling down now but it is back in the garage, maybe try it again this week. The 58 is a long ways from done but I'm checking things of my priority list. Motor/trans & brakes done last winter. I just finished installing my Sid's drop axel and pulled a few leaves out of the rear. A/C is next, stripping paint is an ongoing project but doesn't cost money. Polishing my new used slot mags and getting some meaty tires is towards the bottom since the tires I have are still good. I got way off track here but point is the Apache will have AC. Thanks for the responses. Sounds like vintage is the favorite choice around here.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
idk martinsr, maybe in cali you can tough it out without ac
i never had ac in a classic until 58 truk, but i do enjoy it even in michigan
i'm ok up to about 95* cruising, much above that gets a little sticky

i got my ac working the day before my 1st hot rod power tour in 2011
104* w/ 90% humidity in cocoa beach, 105* in valdosta, 105* in montgomery, 104* in nashville and 104* in indy
every event had a 1 to 3 hr que going in, drivers in non ac cars were drenched in sweat and beat whenever they got to the events
each power tour after that was equally hot in the southern states and most of them are on asphalt parking lots
Hey Ogre, what size tires are you running? You may have told me in an older post but I was going to look through your thread again but the chome photosuckit fix didn't work on my Droid. No offense but the thread isn't as entertaining without the pics. I can see the pic in this thread, are you using a different photo site?
Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #14
hogfarm

I bought my old air system for my 58 about a year and a half ago,thought I would be ready to put in truck long time ago,just taking longer than I planed.Well I was ready yesterday.I already had all the holes cut before painting.I got to step 1 and found a problem,it did not fit quite right,called them up,was told that the system I had had been up graded, but if I sent stop heater /AC box back they would send me a new unit,no charge,and they pay shipping both ways.I am very happy with there customer service,and they did give me a discount when I bought unit because I bought all the March billit brackets from them,could not beat the price
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
mr48chev

I'd agree on the Vintage Air. Along with a good product they have some of the best tech service.

I'm putting heat/AC in the 48 and Ac in my 71 when I get that far. My wife and I earned our road trip with no AC creds in the 70's, 80's and 90's so we don't have to play it tough anymore.

Traveling to Texas in 1981 we ran though 110 degree heat in the day time and low 30's at night in the Utah and Colorado mountains. That was the year that Texas had 45 or more straight days of 100 plus and the road tar was melting in west Texas.

Plus on long road trips you run with the windows up and don't suffer the wind noise and wind tiring you out so you can actually do something when you get where you are going beyond collapse because you are worn out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail pounder View Post
Hey Ogre, what size tires are you running?
bfgoodrich P235/70R15 on wheels vintique 15x8 rims with 4.5'' backspace

Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
_Ogre

heat up here is also a concern, i don't drive in salt season, last night it was low 30s
the va unit will run you out of the cab in heating mode, stock heater will barely defrost a 12'' circle without any heat in the cab

Old 10-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
55cruiser

I have the V A heat air combo in my TF. lots of times in the spring and fall a little heat is nice.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
nail pounder

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
56hotrodred

Just started a Vintage Air Surefit in my 56! So far a little trying but it is fitting really well. I also brought back a Vintage Air small block front runner system last winter so it should be minimal issues on final hook up! It's all VA and designed to work together.

Not to hijack thread but any pictures out there of firewall bulkhead location options for air conditioning lines?
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #21
roger55

GenIV unit in my truck gives me super performance here in Texas.

I highly recommend the upgraded side vents that VA has. They fit and look great.

The Deluxe controller is well worth the money too:

Last edited by roger55; 11-05-2017 at 10:30 AM.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #22
DPete

Nice interior Roger 55, I have the same unit in my 56', had a little trouble with one of the servo motors that runs the flaps, they sent me a new one, no problem.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #23
tmoble

this is what I do, bought a hose crimping tool and the crimps. VA or somebody has a nice condensor that bolts into the stock radiator mount holes in the core support. I think it's about $150

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nit,50705.html

Sanden compressor also sold on the page at Speedway. Lot of option compressor mount brackets on a Chevy V-8.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...sor-Plain,8581. also in chrome.

About $650 worth of stuff. I used the stock DeLuxe heater/defroster which was free with the truck.

Thing is, the cab volume is so small even a small unit will run you out of there.

Last edited by tmoble; 11-10-2017 at 08:06 PM.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #24
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail pounder View Post
After this past summer I've decided to install ac/heat in my 58 over the winter. Looking for opinions on brand. I'm looking at lmc, old air and vintage air, but I'm open to other options. I'm more interested in an easier install and cold air, this will be a driver truck so I won't be trying to hide hoses etc. I do like the deluxe controls, I've saved 2k for this project and only want to do this once so I'm not trying to piecemeal one together. I have a gen1 SBC. I did the search option and read everything I could, figured I'd start a new thread rather than bring back one of the many old ones. Thanks in advance for your help.
For some reasons, not many know about the company NACP, they're out of Ocala, Florida. This unit I put into my 56 is powerful and compact. I've got Vintage AC in my street rod and it takes up a bit of space, so I chose NACP for my truck.
Nostalgic AC
1 - (888) 977-8889
2124 S. Pine Ave Unit# 200
Ocala, Florida 34471
Attached Images

my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote