The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Hilandr451

Rust NEVER Sleeps: Hilander's '66 C20 Restoration

Greetings!
Some of you know me already from another truck forum, some of you might not. I'm new to this one anyway. My expertise is in electrical (at least that's what I've been doing for a living for the past 15 years) I love helping folks out with their "demons" please feel free to PM or e-mail me for my phone number and I'll be more than glad to walk you through a trouble shoot over the phone (I've got unlimited long distance because my grandaughter lives in Az.) just remember I live in California and I'm in the Pacific time zone. Well, enough of that dribble, let's get on to business shall we?

Today I have officially started the first serious restoration of my 1966 C20 Custom Camper fleetside. I purchased a 1989 3/4 ton suburban front end from a friend of mine and my neighbor's daughter gave me a cherry small back window cab a few weeks ago. Last night another kid from a few blocks over showed up with a good hood, left fender, steel grill and 2 clean cowl corners. This morning I spent $1650.00 on new parts from Chevy Duty, & Brothers to get started.

The Project:
A semi-stock restoration of a 1966 C20 factory TH400, 4bbl 327 V8, factory power assisted steering, power brakes, with custom camper suspension, dealer installed saddle tanks & 'custom cab' trim package.
Modifications:
  • convert small back window cab to a big back window cab
  • trade "power assisted" steering for standard hydraulic steering box.
  • convert front drums to late model 8 lug disc brakes.
  • install more highway friendly gear set in differential (410's at least)
  • install a gear splitter from Gear Vendors to make it an affordable proposition towing my vintage 26ft. 1965 Airstream trailer.
  • install heavy duty reciever hitch
  • install modern trailer brake control unit
  • design/install fuel level monitoring system for factory saddle tanks.
Budget:
$8,000.00 (less beer & bandaids)
Highlander's web site: www.6066ChevyTrucks.com
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote