The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
blazer2007

leafs to ladder bar style setup on a blazer ?

I,m wanting to get rid of the leaf spring setup on a 78 blazer which is notched and axle flipped and has AOL. I was thinking of this setup as looks easy and I don,t have the means to weld a good weld for a custom 4 link. What do you think. Is just a weekend cruiser ,no hiway driving. something like this but with a panhard bar which looks easier for me
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Overdriven

Re: leafs to ladder bar style setup on a blazer ?

The pic you've posted is not a ladder bar setup, it's of a 4 link with the upper bars triangulated so a panhard bar isn't needed. Ladder bars wouldn't have the upper links and would need a panhard bar.

I assume you like it because it is using the stock front leaf spring mount on the frame. To do a ladder bar setup on a former leaf spring truck welding would be required whether you use the stock leaf spring mounts or not. With stock mounting points you'd need to make your own ladder bars as none are available for stock leaf spring mounting points, then there's the panhard bar mounting and fab.

Btw, ladder bars don't have a good ride. They don't allow the axle to articulate, only move up and down. Travel has to be somewhat limited as the arc they follow will mess up pinion angle. The limited travel makes ladder bars a poor choice for something like air ride with lots of travel. In my opinion, if you're going to be ditching your current suspension for something custom, go with something better like the triangulated 4 link in your post.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Ladder bar is only really good for drag racing on the street its not the best ride,Like said thats a 4 link set up they used in that picture.These are ladder bars http://bearsperformance.com/usa/inde...index&cPath=13
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
PGSigns

Any custom suspension needs to be looked at for travel and if the travel fits the intended use.
The one you posted will be limited in articulation due to the type of ends will limited swivel capability. It would do much better with rod ends on the links. With out the ability to weld one up you will be hard pressed to change to a 4 link. Also when you do a bunch of welding on a housing it will move the ends around and will need to be checked once welding is done.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
blazer2007

I don,t need much travel just 4 inchs . I will have to re-think this and try to find some threads on blazer setups thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I don,t need much travel just 4 inchs . I will have to re-think this and try to find some threads on blazer setups thanks
4 inches of travel is a really rough ride. Even with really stiff springs when you put the truck on the ground the suspension will move 2 inches. Jack it back up and the wheels will move down 2 inches from ride height, this is down travel. With 2 inches used you only have 2 inches left of your 4 inches of travel. With that little travel you might as well skip springs and shocks and just ride on bump stops.

But seriously you need more than 4 inches of TOTAL suspension travel. I assume you mean that you only need 4 inches of up travel from ride height.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
blazer2007

that is correct, I only use 2 inches up or down from ride height, can go higher but usually don,t need too.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
blazer2007

Well the gods have smiled on me.The house across the street sold and I met the new owner.He had a suspension shop in the big city of Van. and is opening one here.He has a couple of nice lowered cars. There is no good suspension shops here.