The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
dunce79

Question Back of hood alignment/height 58-59

Is there a trick to getting the back of the hood on 58-59 trucks to sit down on the cowl? I have the hinges down as far as they will go without slotting holes further but I know hinges can be a tricky deal. You think you're making a good adjustment but it often has the opposite effect you expect.

I added shims under the rear bolts on the hood and this helped some but I'm still about 5/8 inch from the back of the hood resting on the cowl seal like it should.
dunce79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Back of hood alignment/height 58-59

Don't have time to find it, use the search box at the top clicked to this site and search for "hood adjustment", it has been discussed before. I think the solution was to shim the bracket at the firewall. Are the gaps to the fenders and front at grill good?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
hammerdog57

I would first check to see if your hinges have any play in them. (open hood all the way and jently rock hinges at max opening) If you see any play in rivets you need to replace hinges. If you can push hood down and it stays then hinges are bad. Also new hinge springs will help hood stay down on cowl.
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

The springs on those pull back on the hinge & tend to pull the hood up at the rear. Like Dog57 says, any play in the hinges will let it ride up. I wound up putting on new hinges & still had to elongate the holes to bring it down further. Also the weather strip at the cowl pushes it up. I used a softer rubber.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
dunce79

Got it figured out. I loosened the lower hinge bolt at the cowl and the one on the inner fender and then pushed up on the hood. This rotated the hinge so the hole at the inner fender came up. Then tightened that bolt and them shimmed the lower bolt at the cowl. It was like magic, hood sits tight on the cowl seal now. Afterwards I had to adjust the hood forward a bit because it brought the back of the hood closer to the cowl.

Just having the hinges all the way down in the slotted holes isn't enough I guess. some rotation is necessary.. perhaps just on older worn hinges?
dunce79 is offline   Reply With Quote