The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Volfandt

Greetings

I'm currently in the process of getting a 79 250 C10 engine running again. It's got the integrated 2bbl head that someone adapted a Quadrajet to. I can get it to start and fast idle but realize that it's just too much carb for the engine so I'm not wasting any time getting it to work right. After an unsuccessful search for adapters for other 2bbl carbs I'm going back to a 2SE Varajet which I expect any day now. Seems an air cleaner to fit the 2SE is a rare gem too.
The engine isn't in a C10 but in a 49 GMC and was missing quite a few parts that I'm slowly acquiring. Serial, date and production codes ID'ed the engine to the C series. It ran pretty good when I got it started so I'm motivated to make it work right.
Any and all info shared is welcomed.
Dave
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
andyh1956

Re: Greetings

Welcome from Mississippi! My wife's family is from Knoxville!
Here is my $.02 worth. Since you have an incomplete engine to begin with, I SUGGEST that you find a complete 250 old style head & manifolds for your engine & swap them out. It's not a big job & You will be glad you did!
Oh yeah I think a Mercruiser manifold will get you a, what's the number, a 2GT I think Rochester carb that is super simple & a good runner.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
cadillac_al

I would disable the secondaries and see how it runs on just the primaries. I would love to have half a Qjet on my 250.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I would disable the secondaries and see how it runs on just the primaries. I would love to have half a Qjet on my 250.
You’re in luck Al!
They make one of those.
It’s called a dual jet.
Looks like a quadrajet but the secondaries are blanked out.

As for the op, I’d sure like to see a pic of this adapted quad on his 250.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Volfandt

Thanks for the welcome Andy. I've got some from friends down on the Miss Gulf coast and around Jackson.
re. the head. funny thing, if it was a 1bbl integrated head I could choose from several kits to adapt a Holley or Webber 2bbl carb. Since it's a 2bbl intake with it's unusual bolt pattern I'm having no luck finding a kit for those carbs.
You aren't the 1st to recommend swapping the head to an earlier model non-integrated head. At this point if I can't get this engine running good as is I'll be looking harder at the more common engine upgrade, a SBC...

Al & Geezer, I was tempted to try and make that QJet work better but seeing as how it was designed for engines 57ci to 100ci bigger I've decided to give an original sized 2bbl a try at it.
I've actually got a DualJet, picked it up for next to nothing and thats about what it's worth as it's an electronic CC model and won't work properly without all those computer controls. It's bolt pattern is smaller and wider at one end so it won't bolt up to the integrated 2bbl intake and I couldn't locate an adapter to make it work. Shame it won't bolt up to the QJet adapter....
The adapter looks to be well designed but the presence of globs of permatex around the gasket surfaces indicate it may not have sealed good. Course a good belt sander could get those surfaces plumb and true.
Heres a couple pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by Volfandt; 01-07-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
geezer#99

That pile belongs on the shelf hidden from view. LOL!!
Actually that quadrajet will work fine on a 250. Pontiac used one on their ohc six.
Thanks for the pics!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote