The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
scott123

below freezing temperatures

Lost the heat in the shop the other night. Cold enough where beer cans and bottles froze and busted.

I have paint, primer (both epoxy and hi-build), hardeners all stored in there too.

Will the freezing temperatures hurt the paint/primers?

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: below freezing temperatures

As a paint wholesaler and manufacturer representative for 20 years I can assure you that all products are going to be unharmed.
All those products are shipped around the world in unheated transport to make a point. Even most waterborne paints can take some freeze/thaw cycles.

Anytime you use those products they should be brought up to room temp before application.

On a slightly different note: If you ever go to mix up filler or primer or paint and it's soured like sour milk, separated colors or otherwise unhealthy looking, do not use it. It is ruined. Some products can take a lot of freeze thaw cycles, shelved for many years, exposure to air and moisture BUT not all of them. If they mix and appear to be "normal" they in fact are "normal". If you are not sure, toss it out or apply to a test panel and see if it cures/hardens/sands like it should but most times it's safer to dispose than take a chance...that is IF you are not sure.

Best before dates are what the manufactureres put on thier products so you will want to buy more... has nothing to do with the performance characteristics.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
scott123

Thanks.

It is all in the original packing an has not been opened.

Thanks for the answer.

Hate to think I kicked myself in the ass.....again.

Scott
Old 01-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
hugger6933

I have no heat in my shop and the other day it was 22 degrees in there and I'm sure it has been colder than that but I stay at home when it gets too cold or too hot. Your paint and primer stuff is fine, Back in 2014 was the last time we had 0 degree temps here in AR and none of my stuff ruined. I have had my shop 30 and you will be fine.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
scott123

Thanks.

I work in a pharmaceutical plant. I mix chemicals for a living. Some react differently to the extreme cold. None go bad just change in properties a little.

I just never have been in possession of paint/primer when it was this cold. I'm usually a summer time painter. LOL This project was going to be done a month or more ago but time slipped away.

Again, thanks for reassurance. I was worried I would have to spend that money all over again.

Scott