The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Removing factory sway bar, and installation of same on a lowered truck

Perhaps a "dumb question", but are there any considerations for removing a factory front sway bar? Looks straight forward, just four brackets & bushings and done. Just trying to avoid any surprises. The wheels are off the frame, and the frame and the lower control arms are on stands.

This truck will probably see a drop using 2.5" drop spindles. I read the sway bars might be too low with a drop, and may require different frame brackets. Seeking experienced opinions please. Thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Removing factory sway bar, and installation of same on a lowered truck

I had 5/7 drop with factory sway bar
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
dfosh

If you think it will be to low ece sells a set of shorter brackets. They work well and move front of bar closer to the frame.
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
blazer2007

You can slide the sway bar inside the brackets instead of on the bottom
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I take it there's nothing to watch for when I pull this thing. I'd heard the sway bar is essentially a spring. Currently the front end is propped with two sets of stands, primary weight on the frame. I think I'll put more weight on the lower control arms, just in case. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfosh View Post
If you think it will be to low ece sells a set of shorter brackets. They work well and move front of bar closer to the frame.
Good to know. That's where I plan to get the 2.5/4 drop kit. Sounds like with that drop, the only alteration that has to be made is shocks. Rear shocks to the upper brackets only, if I remember right.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I take it there's nothing to watch for when I pull this thing. I'd heard the sway bar is essentially a spring. Currently the front end is propped with two sets of stands, primary weight on the frame. I think I'll put more weight on the lower control arms, just in case. Thanks for the info.

Good to know. That's where I plan to get the 2.5/4 drop kit. Sounds like with that drop, the only alteration that has to be made is shocks. Rear shocks to the upper brackets only, if I remember right.
The sway bar is not like a spring as far as 'energy'. Springs are compressed & when compressed/loaded they can be hazardous.

The sway bar basically floats & isn't loaded until one side of the vehicle compresses more vs the opposite side. That's when there is a load/force on the bar. Once the end links are removed, the bar just hangs there. With the factory GM frame mounts, they can hang a little low on trucks w/aggressive drops. The shorter aftermarket mounts can be used or you can bolt them directly to the frame rails.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:31 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Ha ha..........OK, the sway bar is a 5 minute job. There was no stress on that bar, but I did have the lower arms & frame on jacks. There was a hodgepodge of bolts. I wasn't going reuse them anyway, because the threads aren't great. They're grade 5 bolts. Seems like a good place for grade 8.

Sounds like the existing brackets are good with a 2.5" drop. Worst case scenario I have rivets to bust after the frame is painted, but it's being hand painted anyway.

Thanks for the info.