The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
jmking9

1967 Chevelle

I'm starting to get to work on my 67 Chevelle, so I figured I would start up a build thread. I have been looking for a nice 66 or 67 for several years, but hadn't had much luck. But about a year ago, I came across this one on Craigslist. It's a really clean 67 Malibu that had buckets and a console automatic. The previous owner had it for 14 years. He had already replaced both full quarters, inner/outer wheelhouses, and repaired the package tray area(almost always rotted on these cars). So, for the most part, there isn't any rust repair that needs done. It came with a ton of new parts including all new interior pieces. It has a pretty mild 350 with a th350 trans and a high geared, open 10 bolt rearend.
My goal is to make it a car that's equally as fun to drive, as it is comfortable. While I enjoy driving my truck alot, I don't really consider it an exciting experience with the mild small block and auto. So while i'm still on the fence as far as what engine I want to run in this car, It will most certainly be a stick shift. It will either be a tko600 or a t56. Over the past year, I've been accumulating some of the parts for this build. But in the year I've had it, I really havn't had time to do anything to it other than a few little things. Even without the glass, I would still take it up and down our road from time to time. This will still be a really slow process since I will be doing all the work myself as time allows. Heres some pictures of when I brought it home.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
jmking9

Re: 1967 Chevelle

Here's a couple pictures after I put the bumpers, trim, and emblems on. Looks a lot better.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
jmking9

I had Quick Performance build a 9" with 3.89 gears and an Eaton truetrac. Built to handle 650 hp. I doubt I will be throwing that much power at it, but I do plan on having too much power for the 8.2" 10 bolt.
I also ordered Wilwood front and rear brakes. 14" 4 piston rear, 14" 6 piston front.
Pictures:
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
jmking9

More
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
NONHOG

Has a tough, rough and ready vibe. (in a good way) you going to run it for a while as is or spiff it up with paint and such?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
flashed

In in to see this one ,Im a Chevelle guy too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Has a tough, rough and ready vibe. (in a good way) you going to run it for a while as is or spiff it up with paint and such?
Thanks. Im planning on painting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
In in to see this one ,Im a Chevelle guy too.
Great! My good friend in high school drove a 66 that we had a lot of good times in. I've wanted one every since. I like all years of a-bodys, but the lines of the 66-67's have always been my favorite.

I've been working on a few small projects as I take the car apart. I went throught the instrument cluster and added aftermarket gauges from Shiftworks. They aren'the exact matches for the original guages, but they still look nice. Only the purists will know the difference. I also took the vent windows apart and replaced the rubber pieces. While I had them apart, I cleaned them up and repainted/polished them. They came out pretty nice I think.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
jmking9

More small projects. Polished the headlight rings, and cleaned up the front and rear bumper brackets.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
jmking9

New Moog steering parts, ready to go in when I go through the suspension.
I'm replacing the original steering box with one out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is a fairly common upgrade in the Chevelle world. The Jeep box bolts right in and has the same turning radius as the original. It even uses the stock Chevelle pitman arm. The difference is in the ratio and the valving. Everyone on the Chevelle forums that has done the swap seems to be very satisfied. I guess I'll find out. All I needed to make the conversion was a rag joint out of an 80's chevy truck, and a set of press in adapters for the hose fittings. You can get the rag joint and fittings from Lee Power Steering for about 50-60 bucks. They even include a little tool to press the fittings in with.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
greystoke

Great start, this is my dream car. When I first got my license the family car was a 67 chevelle 283 with 3 on the tree. It was a four door that I drove the wheels off of but have sworn that I would have the 2 door version. That was 40 years ago but that dream still lives. Looking forward to seeing your build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305629
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
notchbackgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
New Moog steering parts, ready to go in when I go through the suspension.
I'm replacing the original steering box with one out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is a fairly common upgrade in the Chevelle world. The Jeep box bolts right in and has the same turning radius as the original. It even uses the stock Chevelle pitman arm. The difference is in the ratio and the valving. Everyone on the Chevelle forums that has done the swap seems to be very satisfied. I guess I'll find out. All I needed to make the conversion was a rag joint out of an 80's chevy truck, and a set of press in adapters for the hose fittings. You can get the rag joint and fittings from Lee Power Steering for about 50-60 bucks. They even include a little tool to press the fittings in with.
Is the jeep a metric "o" ring fitting for the hoses and you're going to use the old style flare fitting? I was looking into those fittings, but I wasn't sure that was correct for what I needed.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
Great start, this is my dream car. When I first got my license the family car was a 67 chevelle 283 with 3 on the tree. It was a four door that I drove the wheels off of but have sworn that I would have the 2 door version. That was 40 years ago but that dream still lives. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Thanks, glad to have you following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
Is the jeep a metric "o" ring fitting for the hoses and you're going to use the old style flare fitting? I was looking into those fittings, but I wasn't sure that was correct for what I needed.
Yes, the Jeep box uses metric o ring fittings. The press in adapters make it possible to use the original inverted flare p.s. hoses of the chevelle.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
DBLSPRT68

Thumbs up Re: 1967 Chevelle

Nice Chevelle! I've always loved the 67 as well. I know where a 67 Malibu is sitting and rotting away.... It's been sitting so long, it's probably completely rotten underneath. Yours is going to be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! What colors are you thinking about?
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That is a very nice car you have to start with. A 67 Chevelle is on my to own list some day. My baseball coach who was a family friend, had a 67 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed car that he painted for a guy and got the car because the guy didn't pay the bill. Russ used to take us to base ball games and practice in that car. It was so much fun!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLSPRT68 View Post
Nice Chevelle! I've always loved the 67 as well. I know where a 67 Malibu is sitting and rotting away.... It's been sitting so long, it's probably completely rotten underneath. Yours is going to be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! What colors are you thinking about?
I'm about 99% sure it will be red. I'm typically not a red car guy just because of how many of them there are out there. But the one I spent all the time in as a teenager was red. So, for the 15 years I've thought about having one, it's just always been red in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That is a very nice car you have to start with. A 67 Chevelle is on my to own list some day. My baseball coach who was a family friend, had a 67 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed car that he painted for a guy and got the car because the guy didn't pay the bill. Russ used to take us to base ball games and practice in that car. It was so much fun!
Thanks. That makes the '79 Caprice I got took to practice in look really lame

I'm working on patching a couple places in the floor pan underneath the rear seat. There were a few pinholes around the area where there are what I guess are rubber drain plugs. I'll get a few pictures of that excitement this weekend. Heres a few pics from the last week or so. Also a (sideways) picture of my suspension setup, or at least the boxes anyway. It's a Ridetech level 2 coilover setup with front and rear musclebar sway bars.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
jmking9

And a random picture of the Chevelle next to my truck, because I like the picture.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #17
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Sweet suspension parts! I have a 68 GS400 I'd like to put all that on some day. I'm hoping I can get started on it this winter.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
EdB

JM,
I guess we have a lot in common. I have a project 67 I am getting ready to start on.

I had two over the years:

The first was a Malibu that I got right out of the service in 1971. It was a 327
with a factory 3sp on the floor. It was a fun car to drive. I had to sell it due
to money woes and still miss it.

The second was a mint SS 4 spd. this was in 1982. I had to sell it for the same
reason as above.

I found another one last year. I did not pay much for it. It came from one
of the northern states and would require massive metal work. It does have
a solid 12 bolt and a good top skin. The friend,I got it from, is an engine
builder and racer.

He called me a couple of months ago and asked me if I was interested in
another one. Of course, I said yes and wound up buying it on the spot.
The only rust through is on the front pans. It is solid and tight. The main problem
is an ex-vinyl top. I hope to use the one on the parts car. I have done several
restorations and have my own shop. The restoration was started by a local
body shop. My friends cousin had bought it to finish the restoration. He needed
to sell if for the same reason that I had to sell both of mine. I guess the wheel
finally turned and I was on the other side.

I have a couple of projects to sell to get started. Age is catching up with me but
I think I have one left and it is going to be for me. My heart is in the 67.

I noticed the truck in the background. I have a 70 cst, same trim package,
that I have had for 38 years. It is in my heart also with a lot of memories.

Good luck,
EdB
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #19
jmking9

Over the last week or so, I finished the small floor patches and put on the ABC Performance firewall panel. Here's a few pictures of fitting/tacking it in. I have it all welded in and bodyworked now, but no pictures yet.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #20
jmking9

I should be starting the priming and blocking process in the next week or two. I'm going to use all SPI primers and their single stage red. I've never used SPI products before, but everyone swears by them. So I'm going to give them a try. If their products are as good as their customer service, I'll be happy. Anyway, I went ahead and masked off the upper parts of the doors, quarter window area, and dash and shot them with satin black. I also shot the dash, glove box door, and ash tray while i was at it so it would all match. This is backwards of the way some people do it, but I've done it this way in the past and prefer to do it this way. I was happy with the level of sheen on the black I used. It's probably a little flatter than it would have been from the factory, but that's what I wanted. I plan on using the same paint on the firewall and inner fenders. The paint is Excel xl4000 hot rod satin black. Here's a few pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #21
MP&C

Some inspiration for you, my dad's SS from way back..

Name:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  57.1 KB
Old 09-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
jmking9

Thanks MP&C. I love these Chevelles gold. If my truck wasn't gold, this car would be gold instead of red.
The big brown truck brought me 3 big boxes from Southern Polyurethanes yesterday. Now the real fun begins. Hopefully the next pictures will have some painted parts to show off.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Some inspiration for you, my dad's SS from way back..

Attachment 1689301
Dig it, Real Mans Car!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #24
jmking9

I got the shell and a few small parts in epoxy.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #25
jmking9

And the fenders
Attached Images