The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
chris989

tbi surge

Hello all,

My tbi build has been better than expected but recently i have developed an issue where when decelerating my engine will surge. It feels almost like i am driving gas,brake,gas,brake.

I checked all the basics and did a little data logging and can not find anything. I thought it might be the 4l80 locking and unlocking but the MSD controller does not show any signs of it.

Has anyone ever come across this? I posted over at 3rd gen and gearheads but i did not get any responses.

Thanks,
Chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #2
andyh1956

Re: tbi surge

Sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve Pintle is not seating properly at closed throttle. Or MAYBE you EGR is fluttering due to malfunctioning vacuum controls. Plug it off & drive the truck to eliminate that part. Also disconnect the cruze cable & drive it.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve Pintle is not seating properly at closed throttle. Or MAYBE you EGR is fluttering due to malfunctioning vacuum controls. Plug it off & drive the truck to eliminate that part. Also disconnect the cruze cable & drive it.
I just did some data logging yesterday and conclude there is nothing in the TBI system that is causing it.

It has to be the stall converter locking and unlocking, I though it my be something with shift solenoids but i downshifted as i slowed from 60 - 0mph and it does it in every gear.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Morgsie

What ECU are you running? My TBI caprice use to surge and on deceleration aswell. Try and disable "Async" injection that's what solved my surging issue.
Morgsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgsie View Post
What ECU are you running? My TBI caprice use to surge and on deceleration aswell. Try and disable "Async" injection that's what solved my surging issue.
i think i have the 7747, the data is on the computer in the shop.

I do not have any surge at idle or while cruising, It is smooth as can be. I will look into the async injection.

Talked to my transmission shop today and they feel it could be the controller and I am skeptical of it too. A few months ago it was giving me TPS errors and would not calibrate. MSD had me calibrate the system with the motor running. It would not calibrate with just the ignition on. I think i will have summit ship me a new one and test it.