The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2018, 02:00 AM   #1
mr48chev

Old retired guy spends too many hours watching Barrett Jackson auction

Yuppers, I am now retire and some think I am old and I did spend way too many hours watching the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction the past few days.

21 AD trucks sold so far with one tomorrow.

Every AD in the auction had presentable paint with no rust buckets or patina trucks.

Stock trucks sold for between 22,000 and 44000 The 44000 truck was stock but nice.

Modified trucks went from 25300 for a two tone orange and yellow 48 to 187000 for a show truck that had been on the cover of Classic trucks and a couple more magazines and that I have seen in person.

Two with S010 frames, Both nice but the black one was a knockout and as nice as Hogfarm's truck it went for 110K.

Two tone paint seemed to cause one to go for 10 K less than an almost identical single color truck. Stock trucks averaged a bit over 29K for the ten that I counted. Modified trucks a bit more but The quality of the build showed in price along with what engine it had. The lower sale prices reflected old builds too.

If you were looking for a stock Corvette it was a good year to buy as several went way lower than I thought they would. About the same with some 15 year old exotics.

Add to that, I can't bid right on the auction insider cars at all. I either over bid or under bid by a ton.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Old retired guy spends too many hours watching Barrett Jackson auction

It appears BJ has strict standards for the quality and finish of vehicle they accept. My truck would never make the grade.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:37 AM   #3
mr48chev

They did have a few patina rigs in the first couple of days that were before the tv part.
If you scroll down through the non TV hours of sales for the first day or two the sale prices were often well below the local craigslist asking prices.

This rat rod was the first vehicle with 4 wheels sold on Monday and it went for 4700 which to me is a bit high and the guy probably actually made money on it but he is probably whining that he will never take another rig to the auction as he was no doubt expecting about 4 times that. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...M-COUPE-214434

This 52 that is basically stock with a super nice paint job and interior went for 31,900 on Monday. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...-PICKUP-213856 Nicer than a couple of trucks that went for more later in the week with the same drive train. I think not being sold in TV time cost the guy 10K on that one maybe more. We will probably see it advertised by a dealer somewhere within the next month. A lot of how much money you get bid on a rig is where it is positioned in the auction. The black truck that went for 110K was right behind the green truck that went for 187K so bidders who were looking for a show quality AD truck were there and pumped up.
I only came close on two of the insider bid cars and my closest bid was on the last one of the week. Some I missed by a few hundred K. Don't call me to put a value on anything.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:50 AM   #4
mr48chev

Here is the Black 52 that went for 110K It had been on the cover of the August 2017 Custom Classic truck magazine. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...-PICKUP-212827

Old 01-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #5
hogfarm

The prices of these trucks have gone sky high,but the cost to build one is high also.
Thanks you Mr48chevy for the complement on my 54.I have been thinking about selling it.I store in my daughter's garage during the winter.My 58 is now taking up all my shop space.How much do you think I could get for my truck?
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Jemezcrusher

Did you see that 58 Vette that went for 375? Did not care for it myself but wow! Gen ! Vettes bringing the bucks whether original or resto
Jemezcrusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
DPete

I watched a lot of it too, lots of really nice cars & trucks. Remember you still have to add buyers premium which I think is 10% and sales tax. Saw a VW 23 window bus sell for $140K
Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
MARTINSR

I just can't wrap my head around what any of these cars and trucks goes for on the those auctions. It just seems like they are at least 50% and up higher than real life, I don't get it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
DPete

If you gather car lovers together that have lots of money the price goes up. I think a lot of it is investment rather than buy to drive.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
mr48chev

True there but some went for a lot less than I thought they would. Stone stock Corvettes either restored nicely or even extreme low miles versions seemed to not bring huge money. Many exotics brought about what the average across the country price for similar models was or less. It seemed to be the " I can put it in a show right now and win" modified cars and trucks that brought big money.
As in past years the 15 seconds of fame on TV may have a factor in higher bids too. Pay a few more bucks and your buddies sitting at home in front of the TV get to see you standing with whats her name bidding on your dream car. Go with the intent of buying one certain vehicle and getting in a bidding war happened in a couple of cases too. But if you wanted a stock Big block early 70s Chevelle you could get one for less than the cost of restoring it if you played your cards right. I think that is the key on the high prices on most of them. Price is high but much less than paying a shop to build or restore one you buy and take in to them to have it match. A great number of members trucks here easily have 40 or 50K or more tied up in them. Just not at one shot. It adds up in a hurry even when you hunt for the best price you can find for every piece and do a huge percentage yourself.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
paintman

The amount of money these guys are paying is in direct proportion to how much alcohol and ego is in them.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
MARTINSR

What cracks me up is when someone sees the first 57 Chevy convertible with FI go for $250k on Barret Jackson and they think their rusty 57 four door is worth $100k. LOLOL

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
joedoh

10-15 years ago the big story was how WWII vets were dying at an astronomical rate. that was 15 years ago, and 1960 is only 15 years later than WWII. most of the guys who lusted after 50s-60s cars and bought them in retirement are now leaving the world at the same rate. without some kind of interjection of collecting energy (like a HAMB for musclecars?) the supply is outpacing the demand and prices are going down.

speaking of, I bet if you checked traffic at the HAMB the same thing is going on.

additionally, most younger guys like power steering and air conditioning too much to collect older cars. more for me I guess!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #14
vintovka

Unhappy Re: Old retired guy spends too many hours watching Barrett Jackson auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I just can't wrap my head around what any of these cars and trucks goes for on the those auctions. It just seems like they are at least 50% and up higher than real life, I don't get it.

Brian
Maybe cause todays dollar is worth less than 50% of what it was 10 years ago. (and I am being conservative).
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #15
bosco

Some of the pricing has surprised me as well. I know truck prices have been climbing, but some of these, wow... I think this one went for $97k (really nice 56)
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...-PICKUP-212316
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #16
Highsider

During the Santa Rosa, CA (and elsewhere) fires I could not help and think about the loss of AD and TF trucks.
Sedans too, for sure.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:24 AM   #17
mr48chev

Lots of car folks in both areas that lost some nifty cars and trucks because they barely got out with what they had on their back and the rig that was sitting in the driveway.

There was a thread on the HAMB on the fire up above San Francisco that told of people loosing cars in that area and about the Vern Tardel shop wheeling a bunch of cars down the road to a safe area.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
hogfarm

People get caught up in the bidding.Just the other days I found a old bread truck on the GSA auction site.I went and took a look and decided I would bid about $400.00 top.Well as the auction was coming to a close another guy started bidding,and I wanted the truck,He ran the bidding up to over $700.00 and I bid $725.00.At that moment I said what I am I doing,guy placed another bid and won the truck.This was all on line.I'm in Washington and the truck was right down the road,the other guy was a couple states away
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #19
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Yuppers, I am now retire and some think I am old and I did spend way too many hours watching the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction the past few days.

21 AD trucks sold so far with one tomorrow.

Every AD in the auction had presentable paint with no rust buckets or patina trucks.

Stock trucks sold for between 22,000 and 44000 The 44000 truck was stock but nice.

Modified trucks went from 25300 for a two tone orange and yellow 48 to 187000 for a show truck that had been on the cover of Classic trucks and a couple more magazines and that I have seen in person.

Two with S010 frames, Both nice but the black one was a knockout and as nice as Hogfarm's truck it went for 110K.

Two tone paint seemed to cause one to go for 10 K less than an almost identical single color truck. Stock trucks averaged a bit over 29K for the ten that I counted. Modified trucks a bit more but The quality of the build showed in price along with what engine it had. The lower sale prices reflected old builds too.

If you were looking for a stock Corvette it was a good year to buy as several went way lower than I thought they would. About the same with some 15 year old exotics.

Add to that, I can't bid right on the auction insider cars at all. I either over bid or under bid by a ton.
You just saved this non-retired guy a bunch of time. Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to watch for is how much the trucks are selling for so I can get an idea of averages. I still believe I've spent less on my truck than its current value, so that makes me happy.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
iowaboynca

Can I point out that sitting and watching the Barrett/Jackson auction, hopefully with a cold one, keeping track of the progress and trying to predict price points sounds....
Really Fun!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Softpatch

I can't stop watching the "Sold" Girl #soldstickergirl, (Elaine Beezy).
I think she's the Bee's Knee's

1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #22
mr48chev

She the one that was putting the sold stickers on the windshields?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #23
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softpatch View Post
I can't stop watching the "Sold" Girl #soldstickergirl, (Elaine Beezy).
I think she's the Bee's Knee's
Looks good to me. Maybe I should’ve been watching.

Who needs old trucks anyhow?
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote